Wanna audition the Fuze LOD?
Oct 13, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #91 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by jvlgato /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still no Pico. Last message was about 2 1/2 wks ago, saying I should get it in a few days. Nothing since. :frowning2:

Whatever you want to do is fine with me. Thanks.

You can still bring it to the Chicago meet if you like so you can try it out on another person amp. Since the time (of the meet) is short, whether you want to write an impression is up to you. At least you'll get a chance to try it out before it flights oversea.

Oct 13, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #92 of 192
Just noticed this thread has gotten 5 more pages since I last saw it, someone better send me a PM when I'm next in line because I'm bound to completely forget about it.

I might try converting the albums I need in gapless into single audio file style whatever it is, I've been spoiled with rockbox and now those gaps drive me nuts. In any case, I guess I'm still on the list.

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #93 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can still bring it to the Chicago meet if you like so you can try it out on another person amp. Since the time (of the meet) is short, whether you want to write an impression is up to you. At least you'll get a chance to try it out before it flights oversea.

The Chicago meet is on Nov 7, so I really appreciate your patience! I was also thinking maybe some other folks can put in their .02.

I HOPE I get my Pico well before then!!

And let me know - if you change your mind and want the LOD moved on, I'll ship it right out, no problem.

Thanks again!

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #95 of 192
Thank you ClieOS for the chance to have a listen to the Fuze LOD!

I listened to the LOD with Grado RS1 and Sennheiser PX100 using a Headamp Pico. The music I used was Alison Krauss Get Me Through December and I Give You To His Heart (I know, don't laugh, but I love this song and know it like the back of my hand!), from A Collection: A Hundred Miles or More, Kanye West Homecoming and Good Morning from Homecoming, Dire Straits Money For Nothing from Brothers In Arms, Bach Goldberg Variations Gould 1981 Variation #1, Bach Partita #3 Hillary Hahn, Handel Messiah cond. Pinnock: 'And the Glory', Dave Brubeck Take Five. These are all ripped in either MP3 @320kbs VBR or FLAC using original CDs.

While using the RS1, I noticed a difference using the LOD in areas such as imaging and microdynamics. Using the LOD, I felt the vocals were smoother and I could hear more textures. The instruments had a faster and clearer attack on the initial edge, especially on piano and dobro. Imaging was more precise and I could more easily locate where a particular voice or instrument originated. This was especially true as passages became more complex. During these passages, each line stayed more clear and focused. Bass was better controlled and fuller. Now this was not night and day, 'oh my god' stuff, but I felt quite confident there was a difference. I was much more involved in the music with the LOD; without the LOD, my mind would drift and I once caught myself thinking about emails I needed to send that night, instead of listening to the music.

When I switched to the PX100, the difference was much less clear. In fact I am not sure I could hear a difference at all. Once in a while, I thought I heard more bass, but I had to switch back and forth 4-5 times to be sure, and in the end, I wasn't convinced it wasn't just all in my head. After several tracks of doing this, I got frustrated and bored. In the end, I'm not convinced I could hear any clear difference using these phones.

Would I buy a LOD? My current use rarely involves using the Fuze with my better equipment. I used to use it as my bedroom rig with an RS2 with Nuforce Icon Mobile then RS1. But since getting the Pico, I am using my laptop w/ Pico/DAC to listen to music off my hard drive and network using my RS1. I am using my Fuze mostly at the gym or on vacation, essentially only as a portable system with the Senn PX100. As such, I would not buy one now because it is a pain to carry more stuff, and I don't really hear a difference using the PX100 anyway. Now, if I used the Fuze as a transportable system, for example, as a bedroom rig and/or on frequent business trips with my better gear, I definitely would. Using the RS1, I heard a difference with the LOD, and I was much more involved in the music. Although it wasn't night and day, it was pretty clear that it was better, and in our hobby, where we can spend hundreds of dollars for this type of improvement, I think it is worth the small cost of an LOD.

I am very glad I had a chance to hear this. If in the future, my use changes, I would buy one. Also, I read many of the debates about whether it is even technically possible for an LOD to make a difference w/ a Fuze. These debates all seem to end in a heated draw, so I felt like hearing with my own ears was the only way for me to decide.

Thanks again, ClieOS! I really appreciate having this chance to hear it!

Also, as a reminder, I will be keeping the LOD for the Nov 7 ChiUnifi event (with ClieOS's prior approval), where hopefully some other head-fiers can have a listen and post their opinions. I'll then move it on to the next person after that. ClieOS, if for any reason you've changed your mind about this, just let me know and I'll forward it to the next person right away.

I've added my listening notes below for anyone interested in reading how I came to my conclusions.

Raw Notes: RS1

Alison Krauss Get Me Through December, I Give You to His Heart

With LOD, Imaging is better - Location of instruments and voice is more precise, each instrument maintains better separation of lines,esp in comples passages, ambience of room and reverb more clear; microdynamics/timber- breathiness of Alison's voice is clearer. Initial attack of Jerry Douglas' dobro much sharper and more exciting. Bass not so different. Subtle, but definitely a more emotional connection w/ LOD. Found myself more involved, whereas with plugs, caught myself thinking of emails I needed to send.

Kanye West- Homecoming, Good Morning, was looking for bass differences and went back and forth 4-5 times and yes I'd say bass was a little fuller and more powerful w/ LOD, but it took a lot of careful listening. What jumped out again was imaging and keeping complex passages clean.

Dire Straits Money For Nothing opening passage - again image is fuller, as passage because more complex, everything stays cleaner and focused w/ LOD.

Bach Goldberg Variations Gould 1981 Variation #1 complex solo piano and Glenn Gould's aggressive and maniacal style can really reveal difference in attack and dynamics, and it really shows here. LOD much better and more exciting to listen to here.

Partita #3 Hillary Hahn on solo violin. Much less difference here. Slightly more hall ambience and more accurate timbre, but pretty small difference. Maybe violin reproduction is easier than piano? Would like to hear more friction from the rosin, but maybe too much to ask.

Handel Messiah cond. Pinnock: And the Glory : I like to listen to choral music to see if I hear many individual voice as a test for resolution. Minimal difference here. But maybe an unfair test on a dap.

Dave Brubeck Take Five. Took several listens so it was not obvious but again preferred LOD for better timbre, initial attack, and location of instruments.

Switched to Senn PX100:

Maybe a bit of improvement w/ LOD esp w/ dynamics/clarity. But it's very small and I'm not convinced it's not just in my head. Most difference w/ Money for Nothing. Very small diff, maybe no diif on Monheit, Krauss, No diff on most others, esp classical. Got bored from hearing so little difference, after so much effort, and gave up before getting to Handel Messiah, Bach Partita, Kanye

Oct 26, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #97 of 192
Thanks for the impression, jvlgato. You can keep it till the meet, but remember to PM the next person for address so you can send it out afterward.

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #99 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the impression, jvlgato. You can keep it till the meet, but remember to PM the next person for address so you can send it out afterward.

Thanks! I just PM'd the next on the list.

Nov 9, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #101 of 192
Off to jrazmar tomorrow! Thanks for the demo, esp for letting me keep it for so long for our Chiunifi event this weekend. I had one or two listeners, I asked them to post what they heard on this thread.

Nov 9, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #102 of 192
I'm eagerly waiting to receive and try it very soon.
Thanks man.

Nov 9, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #103 of 192
If this LOD will work for the Sansa c250, I'd like to get in on this... I know that the Griffin Powerdock is compatible with both but dont know about this DIY monstrosity!

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back