Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Jun 3, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #3,106 of 3,631
Well that's a bummer, I hope not to regret buying it, as I do already have a z1, by trollshan.

Do you have them both? Maybe you could tell me if it's worth it and how different they are. Which one you appreciate more and why.

No, I don't have both.

For people who have the Walnut V2S, when you turned it on, you will hear female voice saying in Mandarin, "Musical Mode". If you press the EQ (equalizier) button, you will hear "No Equalizier" which sounds like "Five" in Mandarin. "No Equalizier" gives one syllable.
If U press 2nd times, you will hear "Rock and Roll" in Mandarin. Press 3rd times, you will hear "Pop" . Press 4th times, hear "Classical" Press 5th times, hear "Jazz". Press once more, back to "No Equalizier" mode. "Rock and Roll", "Pop", "Classical", "Jazz" all give 2 syllables.

If U press "prev" and "next" buttons together and hold for a while, U will hear "last folder" in Mandarin

That is a very helpful info. Thank you very much.

Have you ever tried it as a DAC? I have no idea how to. I tried but no.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #3,107 of 3,631
tried using Walnut as USB DAC. very bad sound quality, as for me.
using PC with foobar2000. same song is way clearer on the player itself.

Could be related to bad USB cable because mine sounds very good through my android phone

Im new to diy DAP/AMP can i ask a few questions??
How can i connect this to a phone use it as an AMP, use On-The-go usb or normal audio jack??? And is it the same on computer??
Does walnut have a dac?? And how can i use it???

My Walnut without the hold switch and soldered opamp version (the latest edition before the V2s) can be used as a USB DAC and also played flac songs on my phone.

Jun 4, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #3,108 of 3,631
I tried V2s as DAC on windows and mac, sadly, there's a lot of audible pops/clicks/cracklings (or whatever you call it), otherwise it was good. Tried three cables, including stock, but still there.

Jun 4, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #3,110 of 3,631
Foobar is what I use. I installed those components as you said but it is still there.

Normal - pc side or walnut's? I don't think so. Will try more troubleshooting tomorrow.

Jun 4, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #3,116 of 3,631
my walnut v2s cannot install a driver to be used on my windows 7 pc. Do you have the same problem?

On Linuxmint it works. Plug and play. DAC works but with latency issue (click/pop). Maybe on windows OS I can resolve the latency issue by using WASAPI or ASIO/ASIO4ALL.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #3,117 of 3,631
my walnut v2s cannot install a driver to be used on my windows 7 pc. Do you have the same problem?

On Linuxmint it works. Plug and play. DAC works but with latency issue (click/pop). Maybe on windows OS I can resolve the latency issue by using WASAPI or ASIO/ASIO4ALL.

I am also a Linux user, could you check something for me? I have the Zishan Z1 and in USB DAC mode, playback is fixed at 16/48 and if I watch videos then the audio is out of sync.

I am using Deadbeef with ALSA plugin (there is a guide here to set it up, other music apps can be used as long as you can configure ALSA)

To check the DAC capabilities
Code:
cat /proc/asound/card1/stream0

Depending on other audio devices on your computer, card1 could be cardN so replace the number accordingly.

During playback, check if the correct bit-depth and rate is being used
Code:
cat /proc/asound/card1/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params

Just curious to know if the V2s can fix these problems.

Jun 4, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #3,118 of 3,631

Windows 10 Pro x64 (desktop), it works. Windows 7 x64 (laptop), it works. On yosemite (laptop), it works. One problem, audible clicks/pops.

You: DAC works but with latency issue (click/pop).
Me: One problem, audible clicks/pops.
Oh, so it was latency issue?

I'm using Foobar, and tried WASAPI and ASIO components to no avail.

Jun 5, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #3,120 of 3,631
Some pics
ryprW8j.jpg
RODl997.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back