Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Apr 17, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #2,716 of 3,631
Maybe someone with low ohm headphones can use an adapter like this one? It raises the ohms by attaching the plug adapter to the original plug.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-5mm-20ohm-75ohm-100ohm-175ohm-Impedance-Adapter-Plug-for-HiFi-Player-Earphone/32671544661.html?spm=2114.13010308.0.0.Cj3Oar

It will only make it worse. In Walnut the "adapter" of 100 Ohm is already built in :D It is possible to reduce the output resistance by soldering in parallel R7/R8 other resistors. 100 Ohms in parallel will give a total resistance of 50 Ohms. 10 in the parallel ~ 9 Ohms. This increases the volume, improves bass accuracy, but can increase background noise too.

Apr 17, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #2,717 of 3,631
  Ifimatch? No idea what that is. Let us know how you like it.

Maybe someone with low ohm headphones can use an adapter like this one? It raises the ohms by attaching the plug adapter to the original plug.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-5mm-20ohm-75ohm-100ohm-175ohm-Impedance-Adapter-Plug-for-HiFi-Player-Earphone/32671544661.html?spm=2114.13010308.0.0.Cj3Oar

Sorry, IEmatch by IFI Audio.  http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-iematch/

Apr 17, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #2,718 of 3,631
Great! I'll be looking for your impressions on RE0 pairing. :smiley:

hi ozkan,
re0 with walnut definetely a very good combo, the first thing i realized is more bodied sound on re0 i didn't notice before.
walnut adds some warmth but within a margin; it depends on what opamp installed.
i listened it with lm4562 which is fairly neutral opamp, added some warmth but not much as i expected.. with opa2134, it should be more sweet/warm sounding combo, i will try this in a few days..
also, please consider this is a modded walnut; 1000 uF pw supply cap changed to panasonic nhg bypassed with wima 0.1 uF cap and potentiemeter replaced by alps rk097 series..
hope this helps.. also please feel free to ask for any further questions.

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #2,719 of 3,631
hi ozkan,
re0 with walnut definetely a very good combo, the first thing i realized is more bodied sound on re0 i didn't notice before.
walnut adds some warmth but within a margin; it depends on what opamp installed.
i listened it with lm4562 which is fairly neutral opamp, added some warmth but not much as i expected.. with opa2134, it should be more sweet/warm sounding combo, i will try this in a few days..
also, please consider this is a modded walnut; 1000 uF pw supply cap changed to panasonic nhg bypassed with wima 0.1 uF cap and potentiemeter replaced by alps rk097 series..

Can I ask you a general question about capacitors? What effect does changing the caps produce and which are the best ones regardless of price? I have another project I'm pondering but would also like to know a little insight as I've got a Walnut coming my way soon too.

Apr 17, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #2,720 of 3,631
For anyone who doesn't like to tinker and make things better, like changing the Original Walnut v2.0 in some way to make it nicer to yourself (opamp, case, etc), don't buy one, if you don't tinker. The Colorfly C3 is a better music player in my opinion.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #2,721 of 3,631
  For anyone who doesn't like to tinker and make things better, like changing the Original Walnut v2.0 in some way to make it nicer to yourself (opamp, case, etc), don't buy one, if you don't tinker. The Colorfly C3 is a better music player in my opinion.

I own both, the c3 amped is killer.  Without an amp the bass sounds rolled off and thin in my opinion.

Apr 18, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #2,723 of 3,631
Can I ask you a general question about capacitors? What effect does changing the caps produce and which are the best ones regardless of price? I have another project I'm pondering but would also like to know a little insight as I've got a Walnut coming my way soon too.

i'm not an expert to explain it technically nor i have deep experiments about caps.
also it's waste of time and money for me trying to find best cap or ay other component..
i prefer listening music to listening components' sound..  

nevertheless, i try to use decent or good caps and replace if there is one below average.

what i know about best cap is;
there is no best cap but there are suitable caps for the application and taste like every other audio component..

you can find some valuable info on caps here:

http://tech.juaneda.com/en/articles/electrolyticcapacitors.html

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #2,725 of 3,631
I assume Walnut doesn't have a good synergy with BA iems like PFE012? I just ordered the latest version of Walnut V2 with data port and wonder if I did the right thing. Any opinions will be much appreciated.

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #2,726 of 3,631
hi ozkan,

Thank you endia for your impressions. Glad to hear that they sound better and warmer even with the moded Walnut. :wink:

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #2,729 of 3,631
  Is there a list of the good opamp's with the Walnut v2 starting with stats and price? Thanks.

Are the opamp's that are more expensive than the v2, really worth it?

The ones that have worked best for me are:

Phillips NE5532AN Made In Thailand stamped on it - Great in a stock Walnut, probably my favorite with the OPA 2604
Bur Brown OPA2604 - Currently in my all Silmic modded Walnut
Signetics NE5532N
Bur Brown OPA2134
AD825 - This has noise on my modded and stock Walnuts

Burson V5i - Sounds good, expensive, about the same price as a Walnut the previous 5 are cheaper, under $6.  With the stock Walnut there was a little hum from the opamp on all three of my Walnuts

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #2,730 of 3,631
  The ones that have worked best for me are:

Phillips NE5532AN Made In Thailand stamped on it - Great in a stock Walnut, probably my favorite with the OPA 2604
Bur Brown OPA2604 - Currently in my all Silmic modded Walnut
Signetics NE5532N
Bur Brown OPA2134
OPA825 - This has noise on my modded and stock Walnuts

Burson V5i - Sounds good, expensive, about the same price as a Walnut the previous 5 are cheaper, under $6.  With the stock Walnut there was a little hum from the opamp on all three of my Walnuts

I know where to buy the Burson (Googled),

But where did you get the more affordable opamps? E-Bay? Thanks. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back