Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Mar 27, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #2,521 of 3,631
  I haven't actually seen the schematic for the Walnut, but I will be ordering an Amp, soon.

If you think it might be power related noise, after running for a while, it's possible that additional filtering on the power rail(s) could help.

You know I think that I'm the only one having this specific problem so I'm guessing that it's an isolated incident.  I hae two more Walnuts on the way so we will see when they get here.

Mar 27, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #2,522 of 3,631
For a trial, see if changing out the two 100uf for something else  affects/helps it.
I did notice it drop to nothing with the Russkie trials, where before with the Audio grade Silmic 100uf's just let it pass right through.

Might be worth a shot.

Mar 27, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #2,523 of 3,631
BTW, I'm having trouble using my Walnut as an amp as the output is very distorted and hollow when doing so. It works perfectly fine as a DAP, anyone got some suggestions on what might be wrong?

It's not stock, I've rolled op amps in it and have used the Burson V5i most of the time.

Unfortunately I can't remember what sources I've tried with before and after the op amp switch but I'm pretty sure that I've tested the line in somewhere along the line just to see if it worked and that it did, might remember wrong though.

Yes, I've used several different devices with line out and all of them work with other amps.

I've also tried to tighten the 3.5mm line even out connection without it making any difference.

It seems as if my Walnut doesn't like to be used as a amp, too bad as I really like the way it sounds with high impedance headphones and earbuds.....

Bummer! I don't know what might be going on there.

A while ago I had only done a cursory try at using the 'nut as an amp, so thought that I'd give it another go now. Laptop -> foobar2000 -> zuperdac -> walnut (v5i) to the Sextetts or Nickerfied T50RP's. Cranked up to ear bleeding volumes, and it's sounding great with no distortion. Hmm, giving my C&C BH amp (which I usually use in the above configuration) a run for the money!

Anyway, I hope you get it sorted!

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #2,524 of 3,631
^ Just a  total shot in the dark here peter123, but are you using any 4 pole plugs in that arrangement ?
Sometimes they can slightly work but throw everything off like you are hearing.

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #2,529 of 3,631
There's a Aliexpress sale going on right now.

I already have one Walnut player and feel like getting another one as a spare. Should I?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-DIY-MP3-V2-Professional-Lossless-Music-MP3-HiFi-Music-Player-Support-32GB-TF-Card-Expansion/32727723202.html

USD25.71 now.. The temptation.

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #2,530 of 3,631

I already have one Walnut player and feel like getting another one as a spare. Should I?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-DIY-MP3-V2-Professional-Lossless-Music-MP3-HiFi-Music-Player-Support-32GB-TF-Card-Expansion/32727723202.html

YES

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #2,531 of 3,631

$24.63 at this link - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Walnut-V2-New-DIY-MP3-Professional-Lossless-Music-MP3-HiFi-Music-Player-Support-32GB-TF-Card/32793629059.html

Don't know if there's any additional mobile app discount, or not...

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #2,532 of 3,631

I've been waiting almost three months for my CKLewis order. I asked for him to send another one, but I think I might just cancel it altogether. It'll be five months after ordering at that point. I obviously don't recommend him.

He shipped it by Singapore Post 4PX, it's possible they don't accept batteries in shipments and it was confiscated?

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #2,533 of 3,631
Bummer! I don't know what might be going on there.

A while ago I had only done a cursory try at using the 'nut as an amp, so thought that I'd give it another go now. Laptop -> foobar2000 -> zuperdac -> walnut (v5i) to the Sextetts or Nickerfied T50RP's. Cranked up to ear bleeding volumes, and it's sounding great with no distortion. Hmm, giving my C&C BH amp (which I usually use in the above configuration) a run for the money!

Anyway, I hope you get it sorted!

It seems as if my Sextett's gone missing, it really makes me sad :frowning2:

^ Just a  total shot in the dark here peter123, but are you using any 4 pole plugs in that arrangement ?
Sometimes they can slightly work but throw everything off like you are hearing.

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately that's not the case. I've actually noticed that the light start blinking after a while although it's fixed when I make the connection to the line in so it's probably something wrong with my unit.

I'm seriously thinking of getting another one to use as a dedicated amplifier.....

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #2,534 of 3,631
It seems as if my Sextett's gone missing, it really makes me sad
frown.gif

Yes, that is worthy of sadness no doubt! 

The Walnut/V5i combo really does bring the Sextetts to life. I'm always listening to them now that they found the 'nut.

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately that's not the case. I've actually noticed that the light start blinking after a while although it's fixed when I make the connection to the line in so it's probably something wrong with my unit.

It doesn't take much to get the light blinking again. A little touch of the volume knob does it for me. Have you tried it with the micro sd card removed?

I'm seriously thinking of getting another one to use as a dedicated amplifier.....

That's not such a crazy idea actually. I also love how long it lasts on a single charge (that's one of the reasons I use the C&C BH amp the most).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back