Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Mar 13, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #2,434 of 3,631

How does that combo sound compared to just the walnut?

To my tired old ears it has smoother bass and maybe tighter mids with about the same sound stage.

Mar 13, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #2,435 of 3,631
  Check these out.  They sound excellent, and great bass for Vapman.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX4UBR9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Boy that ain't no mag7! 
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #2,436 of 3,631
I just saw this, check out the description:

"Hot Selling UE cable Hand-Made 3.5mm In-Ear earphone HiFi earphone Bass subwoofer fever earplugs perfect match for Walnut V2 MP3".

www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-Selling-UE-cable-Hand-Made-3-5mm-In-Ear-earphone-HiFi-earphone-Bass-subwoofer-fever/32794378431.html

--

Mar 13, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #2,437 of 3,631
  I just saw this, check out the description:

"Hot Selling UE cable Hand-Made 3.5mm In-Ear earphone HiFi earphone Bass subwoofer fever earplugs perfect match for Walnut V2 MP3".

www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-Selling-UE-cable-Hand-Made-3-5mm-In-Ear-earphone-HiFi-earphone-Bass-subwoofer-fever/32794378431.html

--

haha, they are starting to pick up on the hype I see!

I had some single BA IEM's in that kind of shell. They were kind of heavy and uncomfortable....

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #2,438 of 3,631
  Finished up 3 builds with dedicated themes.
 Used Cardas Quad solder and a needle tip on the iron, might have been set a little high for temperature.
Now  have new Alps RK0971221Z05 potentiometers and these have a D shaft end so needed new knobs that have set screws. Knobs seem identical to what Zishan player uses.

TOP LEFT = Stock

TOP RIGHT = ELNA Silmic II / ELNA RE3 1000uf

LOWER LEFT = ELNA Cerafine / ELNA RE3 1000uf

LOWER RIGHT = Nichicon based

10uf = Nichicon SW
47uf = Nichicon Muse
100uf = Nichicon KA
1000uf = Rubycon ( Nichicon KA 1000uf not shown up yet )

*********Ran into some stupid issues with the Silmic build.
frown.gif

These trace pads have such a small footprint  any messing with them too much or too hot causes a number of problems.
The final fix involved scraping to expose longer solderable trace sections on the backside of the board for 3 leads, and same for 1 on the top of the board.
Routed to front / top with some silver plated Soviet milspec wire leads ( and a careful notch out of the side of the pcb).
 Granted yeah, it's certainly not ideal but better than throwing it out :)
This build was giving me bad fuzz on one channel  ( other was perfectly pitch black ) even though all joints appeared to have bonded properly in the 10uf sections. Turns out the culprit was the two 10ufs.
All is well now.

So for some immediate  extremely rough impressions with little break-in at all = [ All using JRC4558D opamp ]

Silmic= Extremely natural and powerful, retains a bit of an edge  on the top but that may be due to the RE3 1000uf. Will see how it matures if at all then consider a swap if needed to Rubycon 1000uf. Silmic II are far too big to fit there obviously.

Cerafine= Seems to be the middle ground between the 3, and if the RE3 sucks in the Silmic build, then it gets swapped out here for Rubycon also.

Nichicon = quite obviously the most revealing /brighter, sounds good but louder volume usage could be tiresome. That's not a bad signature at all though just quite noticeable vs the natural Silmic II. Thinking perhaps the two SW 10uf's might be the origin of that.

Next up at some point is the Soviet build.

I'll be duplicating the SD card here so can then compare more after things settle after a bit of running in.

One thing I stupidly busted off the USB female jack So will be adding in a new female at the bottom endplate to plug into any wallwart rather than using some special 2 pin modded one.

Nick What did you settle onand why?

Mar 14, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #2,439 of 3,631
For sure the Nichicon build is scrapped as it is above there anyhow.

Not had enough time lately to settle things between the two Elna.

I'd messed around with fast swaps of the 1000uf also with a few brands as well.
Just too many variables and sidelined with other things lately to get a good solid handle on it all ( and have adequate time for the caps to settle  during trials ), but will settle down on something soon I think.
Sometimes a bit of space is necessary for greatness to erupt . ( < good excuse anyhow )
First up before nutter things I have to finish up a video game collector pal's Gamegear recap and mod. It never ends
ph34r.gif

soon

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #2,440 of 3,631
I love my walnut - I truly do! But I also love being able to navigate through my tunes in some kind of useful manner.

Anyone know if there is any hope in hell of seeing a screenfull walnut down the road? 

I feel blasphemous for even thinking of it!

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #2,442 of 3,631
  Came here to say that the Walnut with opa2134, Puresounds PS100-600 and some melodic techno are an awesome synergy!

That sounds awesome! I'll have to find me more of that melodic techno! (I really like some trance off of Frisky Radio).

This Porcupine Tree song also sounds rather epic on the Walnut (just like most Porcupine Tree songs off of the Walnut!)

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #2,443 of 3,631

That sounds awesome! I'll have to find me more of that melodic techno! (I really like some trance off of Frisky Radio).

This Porcupine Tree song also sounds rather epic on the Walnut (just like most Porcupine Tree songs off of the Walnut!)

SWEET!

Mar 15, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #2,444 of 3,631

Seller Guarantees:
On-time Delivery60 days

This means if it's been 61 or more days since you placed the order (not since it shipped) you may open a dispute, request a full refund, and Aliexpress will refund you, not the store CKLewis. But you do get your money back.

If the product arrives after money is refunded do we need to re-pay the seller? The reason I ask is that usually, a refund is a final sale. I know the right thing to do is to give it back.

Mar 15, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #2,445 of 3,631
  I love my walnut - I truly do! But I also love being able to navigate through my tunes in some kind of useful manner.

Anyone know if there is any hope in hell of seeing a screenfull walnut down the road? 

I heard the Walnut v2 was originally made for a blind person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back