Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Mar 11, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #2,416 of 3,631
Autor this resistor mod 'maxkur' from player.ru
It's good work.

Genius!

I have a few 1k ohms at home and will try it

Quick Taobao related update guys, I've switched to Taobaoring since Mr Tao shut down. HOWEVER... I had been displeased with Mr Tao's quality of service and was looking to switch before they shut down. I've just placed my first order with Taobaoring which a head-fi friend recommended to me, i just finished placing my 1st order, it's 500x better than Mr Tao.

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #2,418 of 3,631

Genius!

I have a few 1k ohms at home and will try it

Quick Taobao related update guys, I've switched to Taobaoring since Mr Tao shut down. HOWEVER... I had been displeased with Mr Tao's quality of service and was looking to switch before they shut down. I've just placed my first order with Taobaoring which a head-fi friend recommended to me, i just finished placing my 1st order, it's 500x better than Mr Tao.

Thanks for this!

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #2,419 of 3,631
Hi to everybody.

There's a group buy happening on our local area - deadline for sending payment is <40 hours (technically <15 hours considering bank times). Do you recommend to jump to the group and buy this beauty? BTW, I have FiiO X1, and budget iems. I wanted an amp way before, but after I bought X1. Any advice?

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #2,420 of 3,631
  It works now! Thanks a lot Vapman! :)

Thanks for coming back, really glad to know that fixed it for you 
beerchug.gif

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #2,421 of 3,631
  It's the Rubycon 100uf 16V power cap that is the culprit.  i piggybacked another Rubycon 1000uf 16v cap and still got the same noise.  Then I put in the Panasonic M series 1000uf 16v cap and noise gone.

Why is it that when I piggybacked another Rubycon 1000uf 16v cap on the one in the Walnut I still get noise, but when I piggybacked the Panasonic 1000uf 16v cap I don't.  Also the noise seems to be very intermittent.  Yesterday I played the Walnut till it was fully drained and then charged it fully and when I went to listen there was no noise.  I then let it sit for about an hour and came back to it and the noise was back though it was quieter. 

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #2,422 of 3,631
Wow, I bought the Koss KTXPRO1 and KSC75 this weekend, now I see what the fuss is with these budget Koss 'phones they sound so good with the Walnut. PortaPro ordered!!

If someone wanted a budget fantastic sounding audio setup, and got the Walnut, Monk+ and Koss KTXPRO1, I don't think you could spend a better £50 on audio stuff.

Hi to everybody.

There's a group buy happening on our local area - deadline for sending payment is <40 hours (technically <15 hours considering bank times). Do you recommend to jump to the group and buy this beauty? BTW, I have FiiO X1, and budget iems. I wanted an amp way before, but after I bought X1. Any advice?

I recommend the Walnut full stop, but read the first few posts in this thread I to see if it's for you. What format is your music in - if it's FLAC then you'll have some converting to do etc if you want to use it as a player. Or you could use it as an amp anyway... I don't have a FIIO player, but it sounds great as an amp with my XDUOO X3 and my Hidizs AP60.

If you get it, try it as a player as well. It's become my main player, I've been WAV'ing my CD's like crazy.

Anyway if it's for you (and I personally think it's the best audio buy there is for the price) and if the group buy is even cheaper than buying it from AliExpress, I'd say go for it.

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #2,423 of 3,631
Wow, I bought the Koss KTXPRO1 and KSC75 this weekend, now I see what the fuss is with these budget Koss 'phones they sound so good with the Walnut. PortaPro ordered!!

If someone wanted a budget fantastic sounding audio setup, and got the Walnut, Monk+ and Koss KTXPRO1, I don't think you could spend a better £50 on audio stuff.
I recommend the Walnut full stop, but read the first few posts in this thread I to see if it's for you. What format is your music in - if it's FLAC then you'll have some converting to do etc if you want to use it as a player. Or you could use it as an amp anyway... I don't have a FIIO player, but it sounds great as an amp with my XDUOO X3 and my Hidizs AP60.

If you get it, try it as a player as well. It's become my main player, I've been WAV'ing my CD's like crazy.

Anyway if it's for you (and I personally think it's the best audio buy there is for the price) and if the group buy is even cheaper than buying it from AliExpress, I'd say go for it.

Recable your ktxpro1 STAT, the stock cable is garbage!!

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #2,425 of 3,631
How easy would it be, I haven't done anything like that before but I'm thinking of a bit of diy experimenting so if that's an easy first job, I might just. Would I need a soldering iron? Any links to tips on how to do this (sorry if off topic)?

Yeah you need a soldering iron but the KTXpro1 / portapro / etc koss driver design are the easiest things to recable in the world. You could do the damn things with a knife and a flame torch if you needed to.

The solder points are pre marked and enormous. The drivers pop out of the headband by using a flathead screwdriver or butter knife from the top down to pop out the driver (its held in with that little clip bump in the middle).

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #2,426 of 3,631
I'm really enjoying this set up. Not very pocket friendly though.

xDuoo X2-FiiO A1-Walnut-KS ZST

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #2,427 of 3,631
  I'm really enjoying this set up. Not very pocket friendly though.

xDuoo X2-FiiO A1-Walnut-KS ZST

How does that combo sound compared to just the walnut?

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #2,430 of 3,631
Yeah you need a soldering iron but the KTXpro1 / portapro / etc koss driver design are the easiest things to recable in the world. You could do the damn things with a knife and a flame torch if you needed to.

The solder points are pre marked and enormous. The drivers pop out of the headband by using a flathead screwdriver or butter knife from the top down to pop out the driver (its held in with that little clip bump in the middle).

That looks do-able, think it's time to invest in a soldering iron. Cable is so thin, I think I have thicker facial hairs :-D So it seems a worthwhile first diy job

Users who are viewing this thread

Back