Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Jan 9, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #1,111 of 3,631
I keep reading "Walnut resumes playing at the spot where it powered off". Why is this special?

With my Ruizu x02, AGPTek M20 and Fiio x3ii, they power back (or at least wakes up from sleep mode) at the same spot and just press play and there you go again

Am I missing something that's special about this feature on the 'nut?

For people like me who get annoyed by boot times (looking at you FiiO) the instant on/off is so nice. While there are few players like you listed that can do it in sleep mode, can you actually turn them off, take out the microSD card, add music, and turn it back on and hit play?

Jan 9, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #1,112 of 3,631
For people like me who get annoyed by boot times (looking at you FiiO) the instant on/off is so nice. While there are few players like you listed that can do it in sleep mode, can you actually turn them off, take out the microSD card, add music, and turn it back on and hit play?

Ah, gotcha, thanks!

Jan 9, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #1,113 of 3,631
I feel like the walnut is not playing all my tracks, going to have to see if metadata is the culprit. Fyi, even if you remove SD card mid track, on re-insertion it starts playing from exactly where you left off to the second. I doubt other daps do that!

Jan 9, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #1,114 of 3,631
  I feel like the walnut is not playing all my tracks, going to have to see if metadata is the culprit. Fyi, even if you remove SD card mid track, on re-insertion it starts playing from exactly where you left off to the second. I doubt other daps do that!

I had a song that would not play - turned out the wav somehow got corrupted in conversion, reconverted from FLAC and it worked fine? Only happened once so far, and i rotate my music a lot.

Jan 9, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #1,116 of 3,631
  You know to be honest, the Monk + sounded good from the Walnut up to the point that I side by side compared it to some of the others like the Rose Masya.  That coming from someone who generally loves the Monks.  Interested in hearing your thoughts one some of the over ears.

Walnut sounds very good with Senns HD600 (300 ohms). As it was mentioned before, with BA`s it sounds not so good.

Jan 9, 2017 at 6:04 AM Post #1,118 of 3,631
Ah, gotcha, thanks!

Coming from Alien and C3 - that is a great feature! :)
With Alien it defaulted folder and volume so if you turned it off (or bumped it wrong) you had to start over.
C3 at least remembered volume but went back to root when you turned it off. I have left it on pause for hours so I didn't have to re-navigate to a song. Luckily C3 has a great battery life.
With Walnut not having folder-skip, if it didn't energize to the same spot it would be almost unusable (for me anyway).

Jan 9, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #1,119 of 3,631
i'd like to measure walnut + ibasso it03, but can't find them, i'm shivering of thinking they are lost, sigh.. will try to recover them in a few days.

anyway, even unloaded (no phones connected), the roll-off at both sides is considerable, specially the highs roll-off (it's near -2dB at 10KHz and higher than -3.5dB at 15KHz, respect 1KHz level; line out is quite better, added its comparation to the graphs: http://www.head-fi.org/t/800208/the-rmaa-rightmark-audio-analyzer-source-and-audio-device-measurement-thread-measurements-in-post-3-tutorial-in-post-2/135#post_13107087 ); the unloaded bass roll-off is not so big, but gets aggravated due to the output coupling caps when connecting phones (the lower impedance, the higher bass roll-off).

if you prefer this sound or you listen to music that has not low sub-bass nor high treble, then it's ok for you. i prefer flat extended sources, because you might find you can't recover the missing sounds after it. but guess you can't find a flat response (plus random play or folder access, like benjie s5 and similars) together with high power (walnut) at $25.
you have to go 3x the price to get that flat sound, and not tiny coupling caps, together with reasonable power for iems and superb user interface (rockbox): xduoo x3, for example :wink:

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #1,120 of 3,631
Ah, gotcha, thanks!
And it makes sense if the 'nut is only going by the time stamps on the wav files. As adding/removing files only change the time stamps of the modified files. Smart implementation of working around its file handling limitations :wink:

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #1,121 of 3,631
i'd like to measure walnut + ibasso it03, but can't find them, i'm shivering of thinking they are lost, sigh.. will try to recover them in a few days.

anyway, even unloaded (no phones connected), the roll-off at both sides is considerable, specially the highs roll-off (it's near -2dB at 10KHz and higher than -3.5dB at 15KHz, respect 1KHz level; line out is quite better, added its comparation to the graphs: http://www.head-fi.org/t/800208/the-rmaa-rightmark-audio-analyzer-source-and-audio-device-measurement-thread-measurements-in-post-3-tutorial-in-post-2/135#post_13107087 ); the unloaded bass roll-off is not so big, but gets aggravated due to the output coupling caps when connecting phones (the lower impedance, the higher bass roll-off).

if you prefer this sound or you listen to music that has not low sub-bass nor high treble, then it's ok for you. i prefer flat extended sources, because you might find you can't recover the missing sounds after it. but guess you can't find a flat response (plus random play or folder access, like benjie s5 and similars) together with high power (walnut) at $25.
you have to go 3x the price to get that flat sound, and not tiny coupling caps, together with reasonable power for iems and superb user interface (rockbox): xduoo x3, for example :wink:
Treble roll off is ok with me as long as the detail and separation and sound stage are not drastically affected. That bass is going to be missed tho...

I'll check this against my fiio x3ii and see

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #1,122 of 3,631

Do you listen to music with extended sub bass dude? I would not give this player the slightest time of day if it lacked sub bass. I owned the X3 for a long time and even with the EQ on rockbox all the way up it's still got nothing on the Walnut.
I did see your measurements and even added them to my FAQ but to say this player doesn't have sub bass is not only 100% misleading but I put it on my pride as a true basshead that I rec this player in the first place.

Also people who I respect very much like @T.R.A.N.C.E. who got their walnut before I even got my first one are bass fanatics too and one of their initial impressions on this player was its bass power. Measurements and your ears do not always show exactly identical results.

Go to the first page and check the vid of the Walnut making the SZ2000 rattle paper with sub bass alone

so please do not give people like poor @macky112 the impression they are gonna get a bass anemic player.... seriously I will not touch the X3 or most other DAPs because they can't compete in bass.

Where the Walnut -does- fall short is during subwoofer test tracks but you can tell there is a "built in" bass boost because frequencies under 60hz @ -2 to 0dB (a lot louder than you might imagine) will distort but if you aren't listening to subwoofer test tracks you won't experience this.

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #1,123 of 3,631
  Any sound update on op amps rolling. Thinking of buying another walnut and start it, like I use to do on tubes. Any op amps recommendation other than those stated.

OPA2134 if you want less bass but more airy sound but borders on lifeless

JRC 2114D for people who want a smoother overall sound, more emphasis on upper mids and treble, a bit less bass but still an energetic sound

edit: People who like their walnut but want a more linear & airy sound signature and aren't bassheads. Go throw a OPA2134 in your Walnut. You will thank me

edit 2: Just wanted to emphasize the bass power of this player, I'm using the JRC in one  of my Walnuts now, I'm listening to Barrington Levy's "Here I Come" and my JVC SZ are RATTLING with sub bass. You can feel it. The bass is tangible. Show me another DAP that can push actual air.  Post a video of it and i'll admit defeat. 
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #1,124 of 3,631

From your page http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m17/jpciii/stereo/phones.jpg

Quote:

Seems the forum software prohibits me.

Inserting an image gives me this: "Your account does not have the required permissions to access this page."

Hosting it myself is only showing a link, atm. Maybe a moderator can fix it...
phones.jpg

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #1,125 of 3,631

I'm beginning top think my walnut isn't broken at all and I one Judy needs sensitive earphones for it. My Sansa Clip has about equal power, though an output imp of 0 ohms. Also folder nav, shuffle play, rockbox etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back