Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Dec 12, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #181 of 3,631
vapman

Nice review! Make me drooling for my Walnut, the wait is long T.T

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #182 of 3,631
Output impedance is something I have not found any info on, or have measured either. Hmm, I will try and check that out.

The sound is neutral but not necessarily "flat". It does sound natural though. It's not bass heavy by any means but the bass is not completely missing either.

I am not sure if I have good enough equipment to make measurements. I have everything to do it, though, so I would look into if my setup is suitable. If not, I'd love to see  measurements of it from someone else.

Lastly I also run my PC's sound card into it  to use it as an amp - I have a Creative X-Fi Titanium HD

Thanks. Even though I've got no wavs and few mp3s, I might actually really get one. Love the design and amp possibility. Hope it will last long though as I've got some bad experiences with China gear lol

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #185 of 3,631
And what of 12.12?

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #187 of 3,631
Just ordered the CSRA64215, will report once it has arrived.
It outputs balanced audio, so it's just a matter of connecting it to the opamp (right? or do I need additional circuitry?), the usb port, the battery (it even has a charging circuit), and the buttons.

It might replace the internal chip altogether, since this can also be used as a USB soundcard (up to 96Khz, so I could just connect it to my android phone via usb otg). For anyone interested as well, datasheet can be found here. Took me two days to find.

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #188 of 3,631
Dec 12, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #193 of 3,631
Dec 12, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #194 of 3,631
  yes my Walnut is great with electronic genres. i have eurobeat, ambient. 80s industrial, 80s/90s house and various other techno

in fact only 3 of maybe 15 albums arent?

In fact for a DAP that you can't set the EQ on (is this correct?) it's got very powerful bass, kinda like the sub bass is just slightly EQ'd up. I usually lower from about 8K up on my EQ's but have not found a need to with this player. In fact they are so good at warm/dark/bassy sound that I've been using my JVC SZ1000 more than ever with them.

Note the iPod mini in back. LOL if you think the iPod has been touched once since I got the Walnut. Into a drawer, maybe...

Who needs features - I don't! Sure, I'd like for shuffle and flac support, but hey, this is a $20 player! If it has awesome SQ, then I'm in.

So due to you (and your great review), and nick, everyone else, and the stupid cheap taobao price ($25 CAD), it had to be done. I liked the cheaper "no card, no music" option that taobao had, so I'm glad that option was available. Now for the long wait!

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #195 of 3,631

Who needs features - I don't! Sure, I'd like for shuffle and flac support, but hey, this is a $20 player! If it has awesome SQ, then I'm in.

So due to you (and your great review), and nick, everyone else, and the stupid cheap taobao price ($25 CAD), it had to be done. I liked the cheaper "no card, no music" option that taobao had, so I'm glad that option was available. Now for the long wait!

I'm counting on the long wait. I'll be away for a week in January. The 12.12 sale made me do it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back