Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Dec 12, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #211 of 3,631
LOL. My walnut has been on since I did the review... plugged into 650 ohm headphones no less. And it's still playing. Battery isn't dead yet! Had to laugh because I was so sure it would be totally dead now, that's almost 3 whole days.

I think high impedance cans drains battery slower. I read this somewhere before. Think of the battery as a reservoir and the earphones as a hose. If its low impedance, the water flows out normally. However if it high impedance, you squeeze the tip of the hose and now there is more energy in the water supplied. And since now there is more water pressure but lesser water is coming out, the reservoir drains slower. Therefore high impedance actually drain lesser battery. Low impedance low sensitivity drivers will drain the most. And high impedance high sensitivity drivers will drain the least. If this makes any sense

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #212 of 3,631
I think high impedance cans drains battery slower. I read this somewhere before. Think of the battery as a reservoir and the earphones as a hose. If its low impedance, the water flows out normally. However if it high impedance, you squeeze the tip of the hose and now there is more energy in the water supplied. And since now there is more water pressure but lesser water is coming out, the reservoir drains slower. Therefore high impedance actually drain lesser battery. Low impedance low sensitivity drivers will drain the most. And high impedance high sensitivity drivers will drain the least. If this makes any sense

Don't forget though most DAPs have weak amps which suffer in two places the Walnut is very strong: output voltage and gain. Walnut has 16 volts to work with as opposed to the 3v to 9v you usually get. It also has a lot of gain for you to work with.... so again, the two things that make high  impedance headphones happiest. They love that extra output voltage.

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #213 of 3,631

Who needs features - I don't!
tongue.gif
Sure, I'd like for shuffle and flac support, but hey, this is a $20 player! If it has awesome SQ, then I'm in.

So due to you (and your great review), and nick, everyone else, and the stupid cheap taobao price ($25 CAD), it had to be done. I liked the cheaper "no card, no music" option that taobao had, so I'm glad that option was available. Now for the long wait!

Sorry about that. Hope you don't get too disillusioned with other things now :)
For gym usage it'll be perfect.
Small and light.
No extra amp stacks to get crushed when you are lifting the 400lb stacks.
If it does, well that's why you should get two I firmly believe.
ohh that is a great price considering the USD to CDN exchange rate, good score.

Sent you a PM regarding a good cheap opamp you'd likely like to try, likely. Signature of it should be to your preferences.

BTW in the interest of consolidating other posts, here's a good one.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/826185/the-zishan-dsds-corner/240#post_13083395

Dec 12, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #214 of 3,631
Dec 13, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #215 of 3,631

This is not my experience at all with any of the DAPs or amp/dac's that I own. Do you have a source for this?

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #216 of 3,631
This is not my experience at all with any of the DAPs or amp/dac's that I own. Do you have a source for this?

Coincidentally my brother told me the same yesterday and it makes sense, looking at the r=u/I calculation. At the same time I also thought lower impedance headphones needed less power, but the thing there, might be that portable gear has low voltage due to batteries while desktop and studio gear could have much larger voltage supply.

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #217 of 3,631
I believe it is a voltage vs current thing. Unless I am mistaken. But it's late. I'm tired.
Anyhow back to topic at hand.

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #218 of 3,631
Can't even believe that this is something to discuss. Enjoy your Walnuts guys and make sure to use it with your 600Ohm DT880's for best possible battery life.

I'm out of here...

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #219 of 3,631
Stacking your Walnut

1JmkH0E.jpg

yn663fz.jpg

The LO signal bypasses the amp circuitry.
As long as music is playing (instruction light blinking), you can't accidentally set it into amp mode.

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #220 of 3,631
And you said it didn't need amping! Is there anything bad with it? As a student $25 still is quite a lot of money but I really want it lol and btw I have enough music players.......

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #221 of 3,631
And you said it didn't need amping! Is there anything bad with it? As a student $25 still is quite a lot of money but I really want it lol and btw I have enough music players.......

It doesn't need anything. I tried it out for fun and to show it was a possibility to anyone who hoped to use it with an amp they already had. It sounds great as a DAP and the line out signal quality is excellent. This makes it a more flexible device. 

I don't need to run it into my Technics SU-V76 either, but I do via line out... 
biggrin.gif

Even if you never wanted to use the DAP part of it, it's still probably the cheapest prebuilt CMOY you can get, and it plays WAV and MP3 on top of that. And it sounds awesome. I'm listening on the built in headphone out again. Don't worry about it! you'll be happy when it arrives.

edit: If it makes you feel better, that bMac has a Burson V5i opamp in it and there is only very minimal improvement over the headphone out. much less than one would expect. I would hope when more people get their walnuts in the impressions will start pouring in too.

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #222 of 3,631
Was joking :) should just get one shouldn't I.

Also let me quote you, I think something's not right but I might wrong

About using it as amp: walnut will be running at full power, so if your headphones are sensitive, or you always need to use digital volume control with them normally, be careful!!!
Digital volume control does not work in amp mode.

So does it or doesn't it work in amp mode ? :)

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #223 of 3,631
Was joking
smily_headphones1.gif
should just get one shouldn't I.

Also let me quote you, I think something's not right but I might wrong

About using it as amp: walnut will be running at full power, so if your headphones are sensitive, or you always need to use digital volume control with them normally, be careful!!!
Digital volume control does not work in amp mode.

So does it or doesn't it work in amp mode ?
smily_headphones1.gif

Volume knob does control LO as well as headphone out volume. That is confirmed.

The digital volume control - used by holding previous or next buttons down - is only available in DAP mode. So, only analog volume control for amp mode.

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #225 of 3,631
I think there's not much more to say on the matter of headphone resistance & power draw, so let's keep this thread on topic. I know there's not a lot to talk about when most people's Walnuts are still in shipping, but I hope to avoid a Sound Science war before it starts. 

I would love to keep talking about the Walnut but don't want to turn this thread into a blog 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back