Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Dec 13, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #242 of 3,631
  @vapman

Forgive my ignorant question.  I've only glanced at the instruction, as I will not have my Walnut for about a month to actually play with and learn.

Is there a way to play the songs randomly each time?

--

Unfortunately not. There is no way to enable any sort of shuffle play. I think this is not mentioned in my introductory posts yet. I am hopeful but not in any way certain that this feature might be introduced in a future firmware update...

Dec 13, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #243 of 3,631
  Unfortunately not. There is no way to enable any sort of shuffle play. I think this is not mentioned in my introductory posts yet. I am hopeful but not in any way certain that this feature might be introduced in a future firmware update...

No worries, you have added CRAZY amounts of great information.  I really wish it had shuffle as that is how I listen to my music.  Oh well, I am sure I will still find a way to enjoy it when it arrives.  And I will be hopeful there will be a shuffle feature added at a later time.

Dec 13, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #244 of 3,631
Even the shuffle mode is not working on this player it reminds me of the tape player,so is good the player can remember the song where you left it when you switch it on and off after.
Anyone got the tracking number working? Mine been sent couple days ago but the tracking doesn't show much.
Hoping to get it before Christmas,also the seller is yet to send me a new Zishan.

Dec 13, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #245 of 3,631
Even the shuffle mode is not working on this player it reminds me of the tape player,so is good the player can remember the song where you left it when you switch it on and off after.
Anyone got the tracking number working? Mine been sent couple days ago but the tracking doesn't show much.
Hoping to get it before Christmas,also the seller is yet to send me a new Zishan.

Did you do eBay or Aliexpress? Anyway, I buy tons of stuff from China - ePacket always when possible - and even then it's not unusual for tracking to take a couple days to show anything, but by the time it updates it's already making its way to me. 

A Walkman is exactly what it makes me think of, too. You hit the nail on the head. I have always thought of it as a digital tape player, first in first out playback system is just like dubbing a mix one track after the other... To be honest, I did think to compare the Walnut to a Walkman in my first posts but was worried nobody would get it 
redface.gif

used to rock one of these bad boys and loved it...

Dec 13, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #246 of 3,631
Did you do eBay or Aliexpress? Anyway, I buy tons of stuff from China - ePacket always when possible - and even then it's not unusual for tracking to take a couple days to show anything, but by the time it updates it's already making its way to me. 

A Walkman is exactly what it makes me think of, too. You hit the nail on the head. I have always thought of it as a digital tape player, first in first out playback system is just like dubbing a mix one track after the other... To be honest, I did think to compare the Walnut to a Walkman in my first posts but was worried nobody would get it :xf_eek:  

I still use cassettes! Some great symphonies and concertos sound quite good, I think. But of course CD is better, but still...

Dec 13, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #247 of 3,631

A Walkman is exactly what it makes me think of, too. You hit the nail on the head. I have always thought of it as a digital tape player, first in first out playback system is just like dubbing a mix one track after the other... To be honest, I did think to compare the Walnut to a Walkman in my first posts but was worried nobody would get it 
redface.gif

Damn man. You have MEGA BASS!

Dec 13, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #249 of 3,631

You bring up a good point and even recently I was rocking some tapes when I had to borrow my mother-in-laws car.

(My uncle gave me this mix 20 years ago)

For the Walnut, I will just upload full albums that I like from beginning to end... :)

--

Dec 13, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #250 of 3,631
@vapman

Forgive my ignorant question.  I've only glanced at the instruction, as I will not have my Walnut for about a month to actually play with and learn.

Is there a way to play the songs randomly each time?

--

I remember in @BruceB's review of the Alien he'd had a method worked out for making a folder of randomized songs (though actually Alien has a shuffle mode already, just that nobody had figured it out at that point). Not really shuffling and a little laborious, but it might help the inveterate shufflers looking at an Acorn: http://www.head-fi.org/products/shozy-alien-dap/reviews/12415

I now have Winamp setup with a library consisting of only FLACs. Each morning I build a playlist of what I fancy listening to and by using Winamp ....
Once I have the playlist I save it to desktop, then by using a handy little program called 'Amok Playlist Copy' it copies all the FLACs that exist in the playlist onto my micro sd card in my card reader ...
But now I am left with lots of song files starting with 01 xxxx.flac, 01 xxxxx.flac etc. If I were to listen as is then I would be hearing track 1 of everything in the playlist for a good long time before moving onto track 2 etc. I wanted things really shuffled, but how to do this?

In steps my IT friend who simply says 'i can do that!' and makes a cool little script that randomises the files and allocates 0001 0002 0003 etc in front of the files to ensure they play in that randomised order. Nice.

But I felt this wasn't enough, we can do better! A lack of resume feature made it a little painful to get to track 50 or 60 quickly after a power off, so my friend went one step further and created a GUI interface that allowed the files to be split into folders of how many files you like. This way I now had my 231 files randomised, allocated 0001 0002 0003 etc to their file names AND they were split up into folder lots of 10, 20, 30 tracks or how many you liked! Now when I resume and want to find where I left off I can long press the fwd button and skip 10, 20 or 30 songs with ease, and then single press the fwd button to find the last track heard (or rwd button if gone too far). Perfect! Thus with a little help from a friend I have circumnavigated some of Shozy's shortcomings, the lack of resume feature and no shuffle.

The new improved ShozzyShuffler can be found here. (pw shozy)

Dec 13, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #251 of 3,631
I think that would be a nice idea on the Walnut since it can remember where you left off. Which reminds me, I forgot two important things on my comparison chart 
biggrin.gif

BTW Tag&Rename should be able to do what that scirpt does.

Dec 13, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #252 of 3,631
Dec 13, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #253 of 3,631
i guess if you have a multimeter you can put it in series with a resistor and max out the volume and measure current that way then figure from P=(I^2)r I'm not quite sure how that works with max stable output o r w/e.... I think JDS labs wrote a blog post about how they measured it for their specs, mabye the Power is Volume one... I forget now.

I can't really hold it against a $30 DAP, but so annoying me when companies don't include basic specs, even if they are only of limited use.

Dec 13, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #254 of 3,631
i guess if you have a multimeter you can put it in series with a resistor and max out the volume and measure current that way then figure from P=(I^2)r I'm not quite sure how that works with max stable output o r w/e.... I think JDS labs wrote a blog post about how they measured it for their specs, mabye the Power is Volume one... I forget now.

I can't really hold it against a $30 DAP, but so annoying me when companies don't include basic specs, even if they are only of limited use.

Only reason I haven't done it yet is I don't think my multimeter is good enough to measure RMS anything. I need to read the manual again and see if it does....

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #255 of 3,631
I remember in @BruceB's review of the Alien he'd had a method worked out for making a folder of randomized songs (though actually Alien has a shuffle mode already, just that nobody had figured it out at that point). Not really shuffling and a little laborious, but it might help the inveterate shufflers looking at an Acorn: http://www.head-fi.org/products/shozy-alien-dap/reviews/12415

Yes, Bruce was a devoted Alien advocate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back