Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Dec 10, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #108 of 3,631
@vapman appreciate the link.

30 years in the components business makes me believe that the chip is not proprietary. Not at this volume. The math does not work. Any programmable chip can be made to do pretty much whatever you want it to do. A clever programmer can make it sing. Software rules. Nichicon is a major cap maker and well regarded for high quality. Using these will make a great difference over no name crap.

Dec 10, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #109 of 3,631
  Anytime bro.

Okay, so for fun I decided to see how Walnut compared in terms of sound balance to my other sources without EQ.  And.... I did need to boost bass a bit to match the Walnut's sound and feeling!!

Here is the FiiO E18 and Bengkel Macro bMac...

Generally a wide bandwidth/high "Q" boost of about 4dB is needed to match the Walnut's tone. Is this why I am so happy with it? 
biggrin.gif

I have just ordered my "premium" Walnut from Taobao using Mistertao. I will be happy to post a quick walkthrough if someone needs the help to  buy it from a forwarding service. @BloodyPenguin kindly walked me through it so I'll pass the favor on.

From what I understand the only difference in the premium Walnut is the use of Nichicon fine gold caps?

Do note that Mistertao is simply a forwarder, so do not expect any useful warranty if something arrives broken.

please post the walkthrough, im sure many are just hesitant like me to use taobao because of those complexities even though they often offer some nice price.  and please post your thought about walnut and zishan when the later arrives :)

Dec 10, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #110 of 3,631
+1 on the walk through 

Dec 10, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #113 of 3,631
  Just ordered one from here... Only 25.71$ with the mobile aliexpress app.

That is where I ordered mine from too.

According to @vapman, it comes with a 8GB mircoSD card filled with random Chinese music.  I'll be honest, that is the only reason I bought it..  haaa... 

--

Dec 10, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #115 of 3,631
Dec 10, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #116 of 3,631
Below is the link, and quickly reading as I'm making lunch for the fam...it reads like V2 IS the upgrade with newer caps.

http://www.mistertao.com/v2/pages/item/542124740337.html

Dec 10, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #118 of 3,631
If I am reading all this correctly  the one currently on ebay is the improved  one, same as what others have got already.
It's likely another  confused translation or  different seller description.

Evidence for that is in T.R.A.N.C.E.'s post on the last page, and iJay's post above .

Seems the caps listed in the debated unconfirmed "upgrade" version are the SAME as what is in the currently listed version everyone else has so far.
As per description this exact caps selection was described in the "upgrade", then logically the upgrade is the  same unit as we have currently.
Just with a differing description.
Parts appear to be the same.
So same exact thing.
Sorry to ramble.
Correct us if we are wrong.

If this thread keeps rolling  maybe we can all convince the creator that a definitive V3 is worth making next :)  So go buy some!

Dec 10, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #120 of 3,631
  If I am reading all this correctly  the one currently on ebay is the improved  one, same as what others have got already.
It's likely another  confused translation or  different seller description.

Evidence for that is in T.R.A.N.C.E.'s post on the last page, and iJay's post above .

Seems the caps listed in the debated unconfirmed "upgrade" version are the SAME as what is in the currently listed version everyone else has so far.
As per description this exact caps selection was described in the "upgrade", then logically the upgrade is the  same unit as we have currently.
Just with a differing description.
Parts appear to be the same.
So same exact thing.
Sorry to ramble.
Correct us if we are wrong.

If this thread keeps rolling  maybe we can all convince the creator that a definitive V3 is worth making next :)  So go buy some!

Is it a description of what was upgraded in v2 over v1? Better caps in v2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back