Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Dec 10, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #91 of 3,631

I had a look, there is only one chip that acts as both the cpu and dac. It can't be dual mono as the left and right channels come out of the same chip which isn't even a standalone dac, the chip is an unknown, but whatever it is it sounds pretty neat, would put some dual mono setups to shame for sure.

Thank you for the info bro, I am thinking you are correct. The translation is fairly confusing. hopefully maybe one day we could get someone to properly translate the taobao listing? 
redface.gif

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #92 of 3,631
I recall the ebay info saying something about doing some custom tweaking to the chip. Whether this is just filter settings or something else it's all still secret if I read correctly.
I could be wrong.

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #93 of 3,631
^ You would be amazed how wrong some Chinese translations can go... I wouldn't read into that English translation at all, "proprietary chip decoder" could actually mean anything. For example where it says "3 band equalizer" they are actually trying to say that the sound is balanced across the 3 bands (bass, mids treble).

I would say the chip they are using is not custom, they just state that it's confidential, probably to avoid others using the same chip.

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #94 of 3,631
  I recall the ebay info saying something about doing some custom tweaking to the chip. Whether this is just filter settings or something else it's all still secret if I read correctly.
I could be wrong.

Like what TRANCE says I think it is probably just the chip is not modded itself rather probably a custom software implementation of using it.

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #95 of 3,631
Likely the case.
 Charged it up last night again and that is maybe the second or third time at most.
I use it a lot too.
This time I will try to estimate battery life here.

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #96 of 3,631
  Likely the case.
 Charged it up last night again and that is maybe the second or third time.
I use it a lot too.
This time I will try to estimate battery life here.

On my second charge. It has 16 hours and counting. First charge was about 2 full days.... like, 24  hour days.

Dec 10, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #100 of 3,631
Anytime bro.

Okay, so for fun I decided to see how Walnut compared in terms of sound balance to my other sources without EQ.  And.... I did need to boost bass a bit to match the Walnut's sound and feeling!!

Here is the FiiO E18 and Bengkel Macro bMac...

Generally a wide bandwidth/high "Q" boost of about 4dB is needed to match the Walnut's tone. Is this why I am so happy with it? 
biggrin.gif

I have just ordered my "premium" Walnut from Taobao using Mistertao. I will be happy to post a quick walkthrough if someone needs the help to  buy it from a forwarding service. @BloodyPenguin kindly walked me through it so I'll pass the favor on.

From what I understand the only difference in the premium Walnut is the use of Nichicon fine gold caps?

Do note that Mistertao is simply a forwarder, so do not expect any useful warranty if something arrives broken.

Dec 10, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #101 of 3,631
Anytime bro.

Okay, so for fun I decided to see how Walnut compared in terms of sound balance to my other sources without EQ.  And.... I did need to boost bass a bit to match the Walnut's sound and feeling!!

Here is the FiiO E18 and Bengkel Macro bMac...

Generally a wide bandwidth/high "Q" boost of about 4dB is needed to match the Walnut's tone. Is this why I am so happy with it? :D

[rule]
I have just ordered my "premium" Walnut from Taobao using Mistertao. I will be happy to post a quick walkthrough if someone needs the help to  buy it from a forwarding service. @BloodyPenguin
 kindly walked me through it so I'll pass the favor on.

From what I understand the only difference in the premium Walnut is the use of Nichicon fine gold caps?

Do note that Mistertao is simply a forwarder, so do not expect any useful warranty if something arrives broken.

Thanks for the EQ shot! Getting down into the infra-sub region...love it!

Dec 10, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #102 of 3,631
Thanks for the EQ shot! Getting down into the infra-sub region...love it!

I believe it is because the bass boost is done on the hardware level. It is spacious and present but by no means overwhelming.   I need to really investigate the PCB and try and figure it all out but I guess those who really REALLY hate bass should maybe consider a different DAP 
biggrin.gif
  It goes without saying I would raise the bass if I could, but not complaining at all.

Dec 10, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #103 of 3,631
I believe it is because the bass boost is done on the hardware level. It is spacious and present but by no means overwhelming.   I need to really investigate the PCB and try and figure it all out but I guess those who really REALLY hate bass should maybe consider a different DAP :D   It goes without saying I would raise the bass if I could, but not complaining at all.

I cant wait to get this. Should have bought it last month.. Using V10 as my daily driver now. This will change once I get the Walnut. Cant believe I am going to use a screenless DAP again.. My first DAP was a first gen ipod shuffle. Since then always went for a Dap with the screen..

Anyone here owns both Shozy Alien and Walnut?

Dec 10, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #104 of 3,631
I cant wait to get this. Should have bought it last month.. Using V10 as my daily driver now. This will change once I get the Walnut. Cant believe I am going to use a screenless DAP again.. My first DAP was a first gen ipod shuffle. Since then always went for a Dap with the screen..

I have the Alien and my Walnut is on the way! Hopefully only a week or two left!

Dec 10, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #105 of 3,631
  I believe it is because the bass boost is done on the hardware level. It is spacious and present but by no means overwhelming.   I need to really investigate the PCB and try and figure it all out but I guess those who really REALLY hate bass should maybe consider a different DAP 
biggrin.gif
  It goes without saying I would raise the bass if I could, but not complaining at all.

It really is quite surprising the sound it puts out when there is so little going on in it's pcb. I don't think it has an actual bass boost though, imo just a well thought out circuit that uses it's simplicity (and capacitance) to it's advantage like no other dap has.

Btw is the premium walnut what you where talking about on page 2? If it is I'm quite sure you guys are mistaken, they are just selling the ordinary stock walnut and are just describing the upgrades made in the V2 over V1. eg 15v > 16v and changing to Nichicon FW.

Walnut V2 uses 2x Nichicon FW 100uf, 4x Elna Silmic II (2x 47uf, 2x 10uf), 1x generic/elna for the big 1000uf.

Yep, walnut is better than alien gold imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back