Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Dec 31, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #841 of 3,631
  I just received mine this morning and am seeing the same sort of issue as Ruben. It is quieter than my iPhone using the headphone jack with my senn momentums - that is at max volume. 

Bad batch or fakes?

Will try to contact the seller.

Where did you buy yours, first off? That might help us know if there are fakes out there or not. Also, like I suggested to Ruben, please try to use yours as an amp and see if it can get louder than your iPhone. (take out Walnut microSD, plug iPhone headphone cable into Walnut line out, plug headphones into Walnut headphone out)

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #842 of 3,631
Oh Im sorry about the box, thought I saw a photo of it :) not a problem though. Also, when using it as amp, and not needing to turn it up a bit, means that your source is sufficient. Amping a powerful source is of no use of course and sure different files matter, but I listen to classical and cant get a loud enough sound because of the huge DR. Quite a disappointment.

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #843 of 3,631
Oh Im sorry about the box, thought I saw a photo of it
smily_headphones1.gif
not a problem though. Also, when using it as amp, and not needing to turn it up a bit, means that your source is sufficient. Amping a powerful source is of no use of course and sure different files matter, but I listen to classical and cant get a loud enough sound because of the huge DR. Quite a disappointment.

Hmm well if you are unwilling to use it as an amp, and can't get a loud enough sound for classical, it might just not be the player for you. Hopefully yours is not somehow defective or running quieter than it should.

Like I said a few posts ago, someone is letting me borrow theirs who they think is quiet, and i will find out if it is quieter than mine or not. 

Since you said that when using the Walnut as an amp, you had to go to 2 oclock to get the same sound as 6 oclock when using the Walnut as a player, it would seem to me that the digital volume control is not maximized when you are in player mode. But, I would find it hard to believe that you did not try holding the "Next" button for long enough to increase the digital volume, so for the time being I'm not sure what to tell you if you can't get it to play back from microSD as loud as it can amp.

Sorry your experiences have been less than ideal. I would encourage you to do more experimenting with it. But, it's possible some of the more recent ones have issues, because in under two weeks since I started this thread, over 100 new Walnuts had been purchased by Head-Fi members alone, so with the sudden ramp up in demand it is possible that QC was not adequate for the increased demand. Anyway, I'll find out if there really are too-quiet Walnuts out there or not when I receive the anonymous Walnutter's Walnut and compare it to my two units.

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #844 of 3,631
All my listening has been direct CD rips to WAV, player was bought from CKlewis and no problems, immense sound. Package was as expected - charge cable, 3.5 to 3.5 cable (didn't realise that was included), microSD card (iffy as it turns out) and microSD to USB converter (works fine).

I have another one or two on the way (ok 3!), a gift, a spare, and one to try tinkering with if I'm feeling brave. These are coming 2 from CKLewis, 1 from Gratituding.

None from the princess dress shop you like so much, sorry @vapman.

Will update if I get any problem ones out of these

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #845 of 3,631
All my listening has been direct CD rips to WAV, player was bought from CKlewis and no problems, immense sound. Package was as expected - charge cable, 3.5 to 3.5 cable (didn't realise that was included), microSD card (iffy as it turns out) and microSD to USB converter (works fine).

I have another one or two on the way (ok 3!), a gift, a spare, and one to try tinkering with if I'm feeling brave. These are coming 2 from CKLewis, 1 from Gratituding.

None from the princess dress shop you like so much, sorry @vapman.

Will update if I get any problem ones out of these

I hate that princess dress shop!!! 
evil_smiley.gif

Glad to hear yours is working well & playing nice and loud though.
No problem with my included memory card yet, but, I haven't written any new files to it either.

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #847 of 3,631
I got a fake sandisk card with mine

I was going thru your previous posts in this thread but not sure if you mentioned where you bought yours? Fake Sandisk is very unfortunate and that isn't right.... but most Walnuts with a card have been bundled with a purple microSD USB reader and matching brand card, the logo on both looks kind of like a potato with 2 chinese characters in it arranged vertically.

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #848 of 3,631
I was going thru your previous posts in this thread but not sure if you mentioned where you bought yours? Fake Sandisk is very unfortunate and that isn't right.... but most Walnuts with a card have been bundled with a purple microSD USB reader and matching brand card, the logo on both looks kind of like a potato with 2 chinese characters in it arranged vertically.

He mentioned it was CKLewis in one post I think. Mine was also a dodgy fake Sandisk (now binned), reader is black / unbranded but fine

Dec 31, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #851 of 3,631
If you have a 8GB card which is showing less than 8GB (especially if it is something crazy like 200MB) have you guys tried SDFormatter which can do a low level reformat and resize the partition to the actual size of the card? This way you'd know for sure if it's actually bogus or if the partition is corrupted but the card is okay.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ <- It's the official SD Association site so it's trustworthy.

Dec 31, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #855 of 3,631
I put a OPA2134PA in one of my Walnuts (took out the Burson), but undecided on how I feel about it. The mids and treble are a LOT smoother. It's pretty surprising how much more liquid it sounds. But, a lot of the bass impact went away. So, it won't be my everyday opamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back