Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Dec 14, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #302 of 3,631
JVC Flats are decent.

Dec 14, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #304 of 3,631
Agreed.... Jvc flats are exceptional for the price.

Koss ktxpro1 also a good choice.

Monk plus or qian39 if you like earbuds.

BTW my LY Princess walnut finally showed up. No memory card though. Just the player and usb cable.

And a bow to the Princess.

Dec 14, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #305 of 3,631
I found a new favorite opamp in the Walnut. LM6172, it easily outclasses THS4032. As we all know the stock opamp is excellent, but I can still recommend you give LM6172 a try if you want some more texture to the sound. And check out the spec on the LM6172, Slew rate 3000V/us and Gain bandwidth 160MHz, that surpasses all the opamps I know of in these fields. Btw I have only tried it with Portapro, so I don't know how the noise floor is with sensitive iem yet. Also it has 50mA of output current which is pretty good.

Are your PortaPros stock or modded?

Dec 14, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #306 of 3,631
Monk plus or qian39 if you like earbuds.

What do the qian39's sound like again? I almost clicked buy, and then got distracted like a gnat lol.

Okay @vapman and

@nick n

Just placed my order. I liked the sound of the Shozy Alien, but the UI annoyed the crap out of me. No resume on startup meant always having to find the album I wanted with much clicking, listening, then clicking, then listening, etc, etc, etc...

The fact that this one does resume on startup has me interested. That, and its just so ugly, I have to see it in person 
biggrin.gif

Yes, resume is awesome. But as far as ugly is concerned, it's a beautiful ugly!

Dec 14, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #307 of 3,631

What do the qian39's sound like again? I almost clicked buy, and then got distracted like a gnat lol.

I am almost tempted to look at making a custom wooden case for it....we'll see when I get it in my hands.

Dec 14, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #308 of 3,631

I am almost tempted to look at making a custom wooden case for it....we'll see when I get it in my hands.

You could always use the MG Chemicals spray on EMF shield coating inside too.
Got me thinking, solid maple burl? Hmmm
Oh what about the obvious= Walnut. ( not joking here )

Dec 14, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #309 of 3,631

You could always use the MG Chemicals spray on EMF shield coating inside too.
Got me thinking, solid maple burl? Hmmm
Oh what about the obvious= Walnut. ( not joking here )

LMAO...will likely be whatever I have spare in my shop at the time when its the first try....at the moment that's Black Limba and Maple. Maybe Paduak if I luck out on the dimensions :). Lots to daydream over while I wait for the thing to get here.

Dec 14, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #311 of 3,631
Are your PortaPros stock or modded?

Portapro drivers are a bit too bassy for me so I'm using KSC-75 drivers on Portapro headband, because I like the tighter and brighter sound that the titanium plating gives, and when used on the Portapro headband the clamp gives the drivers more bass than when used with the stock ear clip on. No extra mods needed imo, sound is awesome, balanced yet energetic. A re-cable could get a bit more clarity but I'm not that fussy.

Dec 14, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #312 of 3,631
Make a matched set of DIY IEMs!

LMAO...one step at a time. I will likely make some Grad-esque woodies that match if the player does well with the drivers I have been using lately (the Primos used in the old Nakamichi SP7)...thats a ways off though.

Dec 14, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #313 of 3,631

Q39 is more bass and fuller/more body overall than any other budget bud and many high end ones too... I have a review on it.

T.R.A.N.C.E. fyi the ktxpro1 is ksc75 drivers on a headband! I don't like the stock cable though so mine is recabled

About to test walnut with burson v5i....

Dec 14, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #314 of 3,631
Glad this thread is more active than last night...traveling and occasionally bored after hours of emails! Keep up that chatting!!!

Not sure about wood...but an antiqued thin leather case might work great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back