1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by vapman, Dec 8, 2016.
First

Back
165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174
176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185
Next

Last
  1. Dark Helmet
    Just got 2 new walnuts that I ordered about 3 weeks ago and they are the ones with the hold switch.  This is where it gets interesting.  Mine has a serial number, also the volume taper is smooth and this is significantly louder than the original one I got [​IMG], and no noise when swapping to different opamps.  Gonna leave it alone for a few days and see what I think, it sounds fantastic as is.  

nick n and DBaldock9 like this.
  2. silverfishla

May I ask what store that you bought yours from?

3. Dark Helmet
    AisLu Hifi Store

4. silverfishla
    Me too, so hopefully I've got a chance. :)

5. groucho69
    Welcome to the latest installment of Dark Helmet and the Holy Grail 

Untitled1_001.jpg

6. Dark Helmet
    Not sure what the two new ones mean, but they sound far better than the first one I got.  I am guessing the first one I got was a bad one.

7. T.R.A.N.C.E.

There was a period of time of about a month or so when the walnut factory switched to soldered SOIC8 opamp (OPA2604), but recently they have switched back to socketed DIP8 opamp due to feedback.

As has been mentioned there has been a few changes in the pcb, the extra usb port simply allows to load songs directly to the walnuts sd card, the new jacks are less secure and more prone to stress failure, but they are otherwise better quality jacks, gold plated with better contact prong design, the through hole rectifier diode has been removed and replaced with a smd voltage regulation. No significant changes really. I hear Nick says the pcb is wider, that''s good to hear, the old walnuts pcb wouldn't properly fit in the rails and would be lopsided in the case half the time.

8. Dark Helmet
    Should I assume that I have the new version of the DIP8 socketed Nut?

9. T.R.A.N.C.E.

You said yours have the hold switch, so that is the old version, the new ones have the changes I mentioned before.

Dark Helmet likes this.
  10. DBaldock9

Is it still limited to a 32GB SD card?

11. nick n

^ on that note above, I noticed that with the non-socketed ones I just got, they are clean ( no noise ) on the volume pot all the way down to nothing.
    There was zero opamp noise as well.
     Very nice.
    Very little pop upon first insertion, then turning it on after it had just been shut off from a small trial, there was very little pop  when turning it on right away again.

Now that it has sat over night I'll have to see again.

As far as the soldered-on opamp, I find the signature of the thing to be not in your face, but also not distant either.

Details are there though not as much in your face as the stock 5532 from before.
     Top end so far seems like it has nothing approaching sibilant at all.
    I'd GENERALLY say that it is what some might call laid back, though I don't want to give the impression that "laid back" means lacking details or overly warmed out.
    Perhaps more natural a sound vs the 5532 is a better way to put it. That may correspond to a less abruptly exciting sound to some people.
    Though anyone who has swapped the same opamp into their socketed versions could you please post up and compare to what I hear.

I'm quite happy with these. 1688's should be here soon will solder one in and see how they compare. Supposed to be good stuff.

Dark Helmet likes this.
  12. bzfrank
    The OPA2604 never rocked my boat, too much roll off and too boring signature for my taste. Its a pretty easy to use op amp in a cmoy however.

13. heraleks
    nick n, please see marking of R7 and R8 in your newest Walnut. I'm not sure but it seems there is 120 Ohms. This is a fragment of a photo of the renewed Walnut from taobao. Also R18 200kOhms not 240.
    R7.png

14. heraleks
    It's official support. But Walnut may read cards more capacity. On player.ru was info about 64-128Gb.

15. DBaldock9

Thanks!  I was wondering what size card to order for my Walnut, which should be arriving before too long.

First

Back
165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174
176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185
Next

Last