Waiting for New AKG Flagship Headphones
Oct 12, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #196 of 228
Right about now is a good opportunity for them to start working on that AKG ortho flagship model
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #197 of 228

Quote:
Wonder if they could ever make a K1000 which could be powered by a regular headphone amp without sacrificing the sound.....that would sell tremendously at the right price

Whenever AKG tried to make their headphones easier to drive, it has been a disaster in terms of sound, the K240 series is a sad example of this.
So I think it would be better to just make the K1000 in it's original form, or make a new high end headphone.

Oct 18, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #199 of 228
Actually when is the official release date for these new models?

Dec 5, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #200 of 228

estreeter said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

The AKG that offered the affordable K501 alongside the aspirational K1000 is the AKG I'd like to see take market share from Sennheiser, a company that has shown what it thinks of less affluent end of its customer base by offering them mediocrity at inflated prices. When you look at what Beyerdynamic/AT/Grado and others can do for the price of a pair of HD595s, the mind boggles. Sennheiser clearly know how to make headphones - no question - but its either caviar or turnips in their kitchen.

I understand this part, It's quite useful, Thanks for your analysis!

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #202 of 228

Quote:
will akg be releasing a new model in the next year?!?

They release new models every year. A new flagship model worthy of the title is a different question. As long as they are being run by the buffoons at Harmon, I really doubt if we will ever see a modern K1000 (or K501 ...).

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #203 of 228

Quote:
Even if there is a huge either love or hate feeling for the 701/2s in this forum, I think they would be worth the try for such a low price

Forget the love/hate thing on HF - that should be at the bottom of your priorities. If you have the *amp* to drive them, I have little doubt that you will be able to find a pair in the FS forum. The problem here seems to be that too many HFiers buy the cans first then spend months (years ?) trying to find the amp to drive them. Even then, they just arent going to be to everyone's taste - I respect Uncle Erik's opinion of the K70* just as much as I respect the opinions of those who have sworn by them for the last 3 or so years. You just need to go in with your eyes open - any component that galvanizes people so completely into 'lovers' and 'loathers' just isnt going to be a 'yeah, they're OK' experience. Come to think of it, if I bought a flagship headphone, I would be especially p*d off if I thought they were just 'OK' : it would be like Ferrari building cars for mediocre drivers.

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #204 of 228

Quote:
 its fabled 700 series, I

yea man, totally loved the k702's when I listened to them got the K500's they don't have the bass but they are pretty comparable.

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #207 of 228
HK/AKG could make bank if they would re-issue the bass heavy K1000, the R&D is done as is much of the tooling.

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #208 of 228
I've read that they don't have the machines to make the K1000 any more, and the sales of the K1000 was a failure, so I doubt that they will go the earspeaker route for a flagship. I think a more conventional headphone would be what they're thinking og.

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #209 of 228

Quote:
well at least the K501 doesn't sound like fake oranges.  It is maybe still concentrate, but certainly 100% juice. 
tongue.gif

I have the k500, they sounded pretty similar to the k701, so how are they the tang of the headphone world? they were detailed, more mid centric, enough bass to matter. The sound wasn't very colored compared to the hd600's I tried.

Feb 9, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #210 of 228
I'm not sure what you're saying.  But I found some pretty substantial differences between K501 and K701.  Same basic signature, but the K501 is more coherent, even, and balanced except for it's lack of bass.  IME

Users who are viewing this thread

Back