wait, what?? : RS-1 vs ESW9/10
Jun 3, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by joincoolkidclub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
uberburger- I couldn't imagine a better and more detailed response!
Thanks so much, sorry it went so long unnoticed.
Hope many others read this and glean as much as I have,
NICK

Thanks, I try my best.
redface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice - I agree with most of what you have said. But you forgot to add:

Timbre/Tone - ESW10>RS1
Soundstage - ESW10>RS1+flats, ESW10=RS1+bowls
Comfort - ESW10>RS-1 with flats or bowls

And now we'll let some others add to that.
tongue_smile.gif

I do agree with the timbre and tone, but much more often I just grab the RS1 since they're just awesome for vocals and acoustic guitars.

Definitely agree with the soundstage part, which is why I can't really compromise any more with flats and prefer bowls. ESW10 and RS-1 both have a similarly sized soundstage but the RS-1's just has that air and decay between the notes in spades that the ESW10 just hints at.

And I actually think the RS-1 is more comfortable than my ESW10. Must be the spectacles. Clamping hurts the ears.
frown.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #18 of 31
I've owned the RS1 and currently own the ESW10. Uberburger101's comparison between the two are pretty much spot on with my own experiences. The one draw back with the RS1 for me was how it handled less than stellar recordings (I listen mainly to rock). I found the RS1 could be very harsh and were fairly less forgiving with bad recordings than the ESW10. Either way, their both fantasic headphones.

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #19 of 31
I'll post my impressions since I said I would later when I got the B22. Well that plan fell through but I'm a happy owner of an M3 with a Sigma11 PS with 3x AD843 opamps.

As I suspected, my previous amplifiers (3move, essence stx) weren't powerfull enough to do the RS1 justice. With increased current available, the RS-1's have jumped in a lead over the ESW10.

The ESW10JPN doesn't respond to amplification as well as the RS1 (that is to say, it doesn't scale as well, which can also be a plus).. this means that the ESW10 will be better with more sources/amps then the RS1.

Straight out of an ipod/cowon d2 the ESW10 is better then the RS1. In EVERYTHING. And this is no contest. The RS1 NEEDS current to display its speed/PRaT otherwise its just an overpriced SR225.

But now that I have a good amplifier, I am using the RS1's almost exclusively on my computer. The ESW10 obviously comes with me when I'm on the go.

I will also say though, that while the RS1 sounds better on the M3+S11 combo, the difference is not too obvious. You have to spend time with each can to really figure out the differences in them.

Though I prefer the RS1's with the amp, I will still say, that if you can afford only one, get the ESW10JPN.

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #20 of 31
Sexy, the real question is, HF-2 vs ESW10 :p Which I will address whenever my pair gets here! *shakes fist*

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #21 of 31
DYR- I'd be very interested in a comparison.
Bojamijams- thanks for your thoughts on the matter.
I'm glad this thread continues to surface in my search.
Now, which AT is the better value?
esw9: 180 vs esw10: 480-------> quite a difference!

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #22 of 31
ESW9s at $180 are so cheap as to likely be stolen,since beach camera is about the cheapest place I've ever seen them, and they're $225 there.

That said, ESW10s are a LOT better, but I prefer the ESW9s. If I didn't have an amp, and only was going to have 1 pair of nice headphones, the ESW10s are worth it. Otherwise, it depends on a lot of things.

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #25 of 31
I also currently own both. I agree with Uberburger's thoughs. It's right on. I didn't like the ESW9 that much though. But this is a preference.

I will see If I can add a comparison w/ the HF2 when it does arrive to my door. I can only imagine mine being shipped August. Lol!

Btw, nice Work Uber! Wierd enough the one that started uber's journey to a desktop rig was the ESW10 portable. =)

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #26 of 31
I've seen several in the FS section listed for under 190 shipped- used, of course.

It seem as though the price of ESW10s have spiked as their run has or will end in the near future. Perhaps after some time it will settle. I'd love to get my hands on both and compare side by side.

Too bad it will cost about 700$!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back