wait, what?? : RS-1 vs ESW9/10
May 14, 2009 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

joincoolkidclub

100+ Head-Fier
Alright, so this seems like a very strange comparison.

One open, one closed; different sound signatures- blah blah blah.

However, I've noticed quite a few people own, or have owned, both.

If anyone cares to compare the two phones I would certainly appreciate it!

I've read many reviews/impressions of both and ban sort of compare based on what I've read, but figured it might be better to hear from someone directly comparing the two.

(I am most interested in imaging and soundstage for those contributing.)

May 14, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 31
I've owned both. The RS1 is much better with female vocalists and tube guitar sounds.

The ESW9s and ESW10s are both better at accurate tone, are easier to drive, and are all around better. Except in those 2 categories.

May 15, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 31
The ESW9's I listened to had a harsh high end and a small closed in sound stage. They weren't in the league of an rs-1 in my opinion.

Biggie.

May 15, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 31
Biggie, I've owned the 9s and 10s. My 9s were part of the pre-order and did not have a harsh high end at all, and I'm really sensitive to any kind of treble energy. I heard another pair that had been purchased quite a few months after mine, and they had a harsh high end, a mid bass emphasis, and recessed mids. Mine had more of a low-mid emphasis. There were three of us at that mini-meet, we compared the two esw9s, and all agreed. I was quite surprised by the difference. I don't know if the production date had anything to do with it or if the sound varies from pair to pair since those are the only two I've heard. I think they were both purchased from audiocubes. Grawk has my old 9s, so I doubt he's hearing what you heard. The 10s are not harsh, very well balanced, but a bit brighter than the 9s overall. Their soundstage is small, but I've never compared them to RS1s, so I'll stop now.

May 15, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #6 of 31
I own both but currently the most powerfull amp I'm running them through is a corda 3move and that is not powerfull enough to do the RS-1 justice. I'll post impressions later after my B22 finishes, but right now I have to say the ESW10 are the better all around headphone when compared to the RS-1.

RS-1's obviously sound airier due to open design. ESW10 has a bigger soundstage. If you got the money for just one, get the ESW10JPN if you can, due to its portability factor.

May 15, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #8 of 31
They are just not in the same class. Get the RS1i, and you are in the game.

May 15, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #11 of 31
If you listen to both briefly, you will definitely find them quite similar. Although after longer periods, you will realise there are some areas of each headphone that really make them different. I will never mistake one for the other.

I'll start with the ESW10. It's a very good can, having a decent soundstage for a closed can (though not as large as the circumaural Denons I have tried - D5000 and D7000). Musicality and transparency is definitely there. A balanced sound from top to bottom, you never feel like it's thick at the midrange or top-heavy etc. I've never been good at telling PRaT, but the RS1 is definitely quicker, and more energetic. ESW10 is slightly too slow for some classical pieces, but classical isn't RS1's cup of tea either due to different reasons.

To say the RS1 sounds like an open version of the ESW10 is not completely wrong. There are a few things that contradict this though. With bowls, the soundstage is much airier than the ESW10. There is a very pleasing echo and "twang" that the RS1+bowls produces on acoustic/electric guitars that I have not heard any other headphone produce. However you will get the feeling that the music is a little upper-midrange/treble heavy compared to the ESW10. It tends to lack the body that comes in the lower midrange. Separation is better than ESW10 due to more air in the soundstage. Do note that soundstage is airier but not necessarily bigger.

Midrange is the RS1's biggest strength, singers sound like they're singing to you and you feel like your onstage with the band. This is also the biggest reason why some do not like the RS1. Too forward mids and the lack of a huge soundstage cause it to be quite genre specific, especially large scale classical pieces. For acoustic/vocal orientated music, I have not found a better headphone to my liking yet.

That extra treble energy and quicker bass (not necessarily lighter) gives the RS1 a very "electric" feel, making it excellent with both rock and fast jazz. It excels on slower music like acoustic/vocals as well.

The pads used on the RS1 is really up to your personal preference. For me, flats collapse the soundstage to almost 2D. The drivers are resting very close to your ear and that's what happens. The midrange, however, is even more intimate than with bowls and the texture is amazing. Treble energy is controlled, and you're less likely to get listening fatigue with flats. Bass is noticeably more than with bowls too. Normally RS1+flats go well with a neutral SS amp like Gilmore Lite, iQube etc whereas RS1+bowls go well with a warm SS/tube amp like Earmax Silver, Mapletree Ear+ HD, EC/SS etc.

Personally, I prefer the latter option because the lack of a decent soundstage is not something I'm willing to sacrifice. Try both out and see which you prefer. There's always the option of reversed bowls, HD414 pads etc.

RS1 definitely scales better than ESW10 from what I hear. The ESW10 is THE best portable can I have ever heard, and I prefer it to many circumaural cans (including the K701, DT880, DT990). However, it remains as good as it's purpose - for portable. The RS1 is a step above the ESW10 when properly amped. I believe that RS1 should be paired with a nice amp that controls it's treble energy and at the same time giving it more lower midrange for the body. Pair the RS1 with something warm and musical and you will get a intoxicating combination. Detail retrieval is definitely good on both phones, slightly better on the RS1 with some microdetails.

In conclusion,

Bass - RS1+flats>ESW10, RS1+bowls=ESW10
Detail - RS1>ESW10
PRaT - RS1>ESW10

What you do need to decide is how often you will be using each of them, for portable the ESW10 is the way to go if you have enough budget. For home enjoyment, no doubt get the RS1. They sound similar in certain ways, but definitely the RS1 is more forward and brighter.

Hope this helps.

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #14 of 31
having just listened to my rs1 (balanced with 1/4" adapter), k501, and esw9 this evening (all out of an opus->maxxed millet), there is no way, imo, that the esw9 comes close to the rs1 in almost every area. oh wait, maybe in isolation, but that's it.

don't get me wrong - the esw9 is a good headphone, and sexy as well. but it sounds almost muffled and veiled compared to the rs1 and definitely compared to the k501. the rs1 is energetic, with fantastic tonality, and fun to listen to. with the esw9 i think i'm enjoying the experience, but when i switch to the rs1, it's a totally different ballgame.

my 2 cents.

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by uberburger101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you listen to both briefly, you will definitely find them quite similar. Although after longer periods, you will realise there are some areas of each headphone that really make them different. I will never mistake one for the other.

I'll start with the ESW10. It's a very good can, having a decent soundstage for a closed can (though not as large as the circumaural Denons I have tried - D5000 and D7000). Musicality and transparency is definitely there. A balanced sound from top to bottom, you never feel like it's thick at the midrange or top-heavy etc. I've never been good at telling PRaT, but the RS1 is definitely quicker, and more energetic. ESW10 is slightly too slow for some classical pieces, but classical isn't RS1's cup of tea either due to different reasons.

To say the RS1 sounds like an open version of the ESW10 is not completely wrong. There are a few things that contradict this though. With bowls, the soundstage is much airier than the ESW10. There is a very pleasing echo and "twang" that the RS1+bowls produces on acoustic/electric guitars that I have not heard any other headphone produce. However you will get the feeling that the music is a little upper-midrange/treble heavy compared to the ESW10. It tends to lack the body that comes in the lower midrange. Separation is better than ESW10 due to more air in the soundstage. Do note that soundstage is airier but not necessarily bigger.

Midrange is the RS1's biggest strength, singers sound like they're singing to you and you feel like your onstage with the band. This is also the biggest reason why some do not like the RS1. Too forward mids and the lack of a huge soundstage cause it to be quite genre specific, especially large scale classical pieces. For acoustic/vocal orientated music, I have not found a better headphone to my liking yet.

That extra treble energy and quicker bass (not necessarily lighter) gives the RS1 a very "electric" feel, making it excellent with both rock and fast jazz. It excels on slower music like acoustic/vocals as well.

The pads used on the RS1 is really up to your personal preference. For me, flats collapse the soundstage to almost 2D. The drivers are resting very close to your ear and that's what happens. The midrange, however, is even more intimate than with bowls and the texture is amazing. Treble energy is controlled, and you're less likely to get listening fatigue with flats. Bass is noticeably more than with bowls too. Normally RS1+flats go well with a neutral SS amp like Gilmore Lite, iQube etc whereas RS1+bowls go well with a warm SS/tube amp like Earmax Silver, Mapletree Ear+ HD, EC/SS etc.

Personally, I prefer the latter option because the lack of a decent soundstage is not something I'm willing to sacrifice. Try both out and see which you prefer. There's always the option of reversed bowls, HD414 pads etc.

RS1 definitely scales better than ESW10 from what I hear. The ESW10 is THE best portable can I have ever heard, and I prefer it to many circumaural cans (including the K701, DT880, DT990). However, it remains as good as it's purpose - for portable. The RS1 is a step above the ESW10 when properly amped. I believe that RS1 should be paired with a nice amp that controls it's treble energy and at the same time giving it more lower midrange for the body. Pair the RS1 with something warm and musical and you will get a intoxicating combination. Detail retrieval is definitely good on both phones, slightly better on the RS1 with some microdetails.

In conclusion,

Bass - RS1+flats>ESW10, RS1+bowls=ESW10
Detail - RS1>ESW10
PRaT - RS1>ESW10

What you do need to decide is how often you will be using each of them, for portable the ESW10 is the way to go if you have enough budget. For home enjoyment, no doubt get the RS1. They sound similar in certain ways, but definitely the RS1 is more forward and brighter.

Hope this helps.

Very nice - I agree with most of what you have said. But you forgot to add:

Timbre/Tone - ESW10>RS1
Soundstage - ESW10>RS1+flats, ESW10=RS1+bowls
Comfort - ESW10>RS-1 with flats or bowls

And now we'll let some others add to that.
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back