Wadia 121 decoding computer
Nov 6, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #106 of 116
Quote:
guys, i found a deal on studiomusicals.com which offers wadia 121 for $999. Do you think its credible or not?

I would take a conservative approach to dealing with this company. It looks like the web site has been up for less than a year and so there is very little about it on the Internet but I did find one customer who was burned - purchased a Roland keyboard but no delivery: http://www.rolandforums.co.uk/forums/viewthread/3946/.  And another Facebook reference: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=435492419807339&id=123667974772&comment_id=5057976&offset=0&total_comments=16. The prices look way to cheap to me (I was looking at purchasing an Akai EWI4000S wind controller which normally retails here for $900+ but Studio Musicals has them for $419).  Too good to be true.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #107 of 116
Just read through the thread and saw that there were some early problems with these all-in-one desktop DACs.  Does anyone have any recent experience with these that they could share?  Also, I didn't see any consistent reports on the sound signature.  One initial report said it was bright sounding, but then subsequent posts described it as warm and analog....  Thanks in advance. :)

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #108 of 116
Mine was purchased in October 2012.  I have not had any problems. 
To me, it is just very transparent sounding....definitely not bright (but I don't know that I would call it warm either)

The only thing about it that I don't really care for is that it has no controls other than the remote control. But since I am only using it as a DAC, I don't ever have to change things.

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #110 of 116
Guys, who owns the Wadia 121, would you please tell me how its sound if compared with Audio-GD NFB-1.32 or Ref-5.32?

I am thinking about purchasing the Wadia 121 but have no opportunity to listen to it before purchase. Just had a chance to try the NFB-1.32 and Ref-5.32 in my setup which are the "reference" point to compare with other DACs.
I have read the review NFB-1.32 vs. Wadia 121  but I am a little bit skeptical about the setup used in the test, I think it didn't allow to discover potential of the devices, so I'd like to get more input sources on the comparison.
First of all, I am interested in the Wadia 121 as a DAC itself, its preamplifier and phone output are not important for me.
I'd appreciate any info on this issue,
thank you!

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #111 of 116
  Just read through the thread and saw that there were some early problems with these all-in-one desktop DACs.  Does anyone have any recent experience with these that they could share?  Also, I didn't see any consistent reports on the sound signature.  One initial report said it was bright sounding, but then subsequent posts described it as warm and analog....  Thanks in advance. :)

My very initial impressions find it to be "bright" through coax, and "dark" through usb.

Apr 14, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #112 of 116
Bought it, sold it...

The 121 was a disappointment, reverts to defaults on power off , odd remote... I wish I had demoed it before I bought it.

I still love my Wadia 860x with Great Northern Sound Corporation statement level upgrade... but really I think the gem of their entire history was just this model.

Jan 25, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #113 of 116
Hi all. Sorry for bumping up a pretty old thread. I wanted to ask a quick question about the noise issues that were experienced on some of the Wadia 121's - just to confirm, was this only when using the headphone output and USB input? If USB input was used in DAC-only mode (using the analogue RCA or XLR outputs) were there no noise issues?

Cheers
X

Jan 25, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #114 of 116
That is what I saw reported early in this thread.  But I have not had that issue on my unit (purchased 7/12)

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #115 of 116
my friend is a huge wadia lover...once had a $70k home stereo system.
shindo tube amp, sonus faber speakers etc
he feels wadia was a pioneer in DAC develpment and love their products.
and just got the new 122 http://www.wadia.com/en-us/products/di122

i'm considering a DAC upgrade for my cans/powered speakers esp if i get nicer cans
(currently have senn 650s).

also looking at schiit or the new upcoming hugo2 (but the latter is $$$)

thoughts?

Nov 14, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #116 of 116
Anyone compared Wadia 121 with Chord DACs in comparable price range (2Qute, Qutest)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back