WA3, WA2, WA6/WA6SE comparison from Jack
Dec 6, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #16 of 28
I think that's the headphone impedance indicator, not the transformer output impedance. Looks like the O/P transformer has a tap in the middle of the winding, and that is connected to the switch. I will be interested in the transformer impedance for the full secondary winding, as well as the winding upto where the tap is taken out.

Quote:
on the back of the wa6 it has a switch that is lablled inpedence selector. bottom is 0 - 99 ohms, and the top is 100 600 ohms. Thats all i can find on the unit. 

Dec 6, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #19 of 28
after testing a neighbor's WA6, I nonetheless plunked for a used WA3+ because the timing and price were right, and because my weakness in shopping is that I spread myself thin to have options, rather than putting all effort into the one best system. I take some comfort in knowing I'm not alone in that, here :wink:

Quote:
ive tried the WA6 and i own the WA2 with my T1s. i dont have a lot of experience but i would say i much prefer the wa2.  also, zombie x has a wa3+ and if i remember correctly, he uses it in his phoenix a lot.  that tells me that the wa3 is good but not great. 
when i bought mine i debated fora while between a wa6se, wa3+ and the wa2.  i tihnk i made the right choice... but then again, who knows since i havent tried the other two.

but being that its your first, try to find a wa3 used in the FS forum.  if you like it and need more, then contact jack and get your wa2 made. youll get to try both and lose minimal money in the process.

Dec 6, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #20 of 28
This is a tough decision, and one that gets debated quite a bit here.  It seems that the differences between Woo products is not very well defined, and even sometimes Jacks responses can be a bit cryptic.

When I was shopping, I had K701's and was debating between the  WA2 and WA6SE.  The general feedback from Jack is that they are both excellent amps, and will suit different taste.  The WA2 is a warmer amp with smoother tube-like sound, while the WA6SE is a faster amp with a more dynamic response and adding a Sophia Princess will add a touch of warmth.  He also stated a few times that his personal favorite for the K701 was the WA6SE as he liked the sound characteristics.. for his listening style.  He stressed that its a personal thing.  This surprised me as I thought the K701 benefitted from a warm amp.

Given that I always thought the K701 was a bit harsh and clinical when not amped properly, I decided to go with the warmth of the WA2... but then a deal came up on a used WA6SE that I couldn't pass up and I jumped on it.  I've never looked back.  The WA6SE is a terrific amp and sounds amazing with any phone I've paired with it.  I think it offers enough speed, touch or warmth, and soundstage, to let the phones do their thing.  Power is not an issue, I rarely get past 10-11:00.  Sound is open, fast, punchy, and yet has a smoothness when called for.  I had a T1, and sold them, I now use a Grado GS1000 and DT990.  So ultimately, i don't think you can make the wrong choice between the WA2 and WA6SE, just let your musical preference guide you.  Warmth, smooth, tubey get WA2.  Fast, puchy, power and soundstage get WA6SE.  Then fine tune with tube rolling.

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #22 of 28
My WA3, which is kinda similar to the WA2, can handle speed no problem.  I put speed metal and dubstep through it and it sounds great.  I imagine the WA2 would do better than the WA3 if anything.  Also, the LCD-2 has been said to pair well with the WA2.

Quote:
With LCD-2 and mostly classical orchestra and choral  music, should I go for WA6 SE for the speed (fast)? Thanks for any input. Steve

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #23 of 28

Quote:
With LCD-2 and mostly classical orchestra and choral  music, should I go for WA6 SE for the speed (fast)? Thanks for any input. Steve

I have that combo and there's literally nothing they can't do together musically...that I've heard anyway.  The WA6SE is an incredibly powerful, precise, and dynamic amp and it's the only one that I've found that doesn't make my LCD-2's sound sluggish and a little bland.  They're quite the opposite with the SE. 

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #25 of 28
Personally, I think it's best to audition if possible between the 6SE and WA2. Both are fine amps but on my favorite CDs, I liked the Woo6 SE better but in the end, it can boil down to personal preference and what flavor you like. The thing that I like about both of those 2 amps is that they both use rectifier tubes. I usually like that design better in many tube amp schematics. In some ways I am a purist and prefer that tube amps have tube rectifiers and in a silly way, it makes me sleep better knowing this.

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:
What about the output impedance of WA6, WA6SE. Is this documented somewhere?

Thanks,
AJ

http://wooaudio.com/docs/wooaudio_amplifier_comparisons.pdf

Jack should have made this link more stand out.  It's in the 'FAQ' tab, link in question/answer #24

Listed for 6SE, 32-600 ohm 

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:
It's all very useful information for me! Thanks.
Really hard to decide between WA6SE or WA2 for my new T1

WA2 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back