WA3, WA2, WA6/WA6SE comparison from Jack
Dec 4, 2010 at 6:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

akart

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Everyone!

I thought this email exchange between me and Jack will be helpful for everyone who are considering a new amp. I am posting it below:

The WA2 is a significant upgrade from the WA3. I recommend it over the WA3 because the WA2 produce much greater output, better dynamic, control and transcient response. It also produce a larger sound stage and thus offers greater performance for demanding orchestra work.

Compared to the 6 or the 6SE, the WA2 sounded warmer and smother.

If you have any further question, feel free to ask me.

Best regards,
Jack

.www.wooaudio.com

Hi Jack,

I am new to the world of high end audio. I have a Beyerdynamic T1
headphone and I am contemplating getting one of your amps. I was
considering the WA3 or the WA2 for my headphone. I am more inclined to
buy the WA3 for multiple reasons:

1. This is my first high end listening experience.
2. I don't know if a new listener like me will be able to tell the
difference between the sound from a WA3 and WA2 when listening through
a T1.

That said, if you think there is a significant difference between the
two (as heard through a T1), I will consider buying the W2. I mostly
listen to classical music (like Rachmaninoff), piano and instrumental
(like Omar Akram and Keiko Matsui) and jazz. I am assuming both these
amps pair well with the T1 (please let me know if they do not). Also,
I would love to have your opinion on how these amps compare with WA6
and WA6SE as far as a T1 is concerned.

Thank you very much.

Kind Regards.

Dec 4, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #2 of 28
I won't debate the fact that the WA2 is surely better than the WA3... but given the price difference why would he ever recommend anything else but the WA2? :wink:

From what i've read even the WA6 pairs very well with the T1..but if you can afford the SE or 2, go for it imo.

Dec 4, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #3 of 28
ive tried the WA6 and i own the WA2 with my T1s. i dont have a lot of experience but i would say i much prefer the wa2.  also, zombie x has a wa3+ and if i remember correctly, he uses it in his phoenix a lot.  that tells me that the wa3 is good but not great. 
when i bought mine i debated fora while between a wa6se, wa3+ and the wa2.  i tihnk i made the right choice... but then again, who knows since i havent tried the other two.

but being that its your first, try to find a wa3 used in the FS forum.  if you like it and need more, then contact jack and get your wa2 made. youll get to try both and lose minimal money in the process.

Dec 5, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #4 of 28
I haven't heard the WA2, but I own a WA3 and listen only to classical music: I'm very pleased with the sound of this amp, I actually don't feel lacking of dynamics or instrumental separation, even with large orchestra music.
I used to own a Audio-GD Roc, and the WA3 does a better job with classical music, especially in terms of dynamic.
Having said that, if you have the money go for the  WA2 :)

Dec 5, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #5 of 28
Having owned all these amps (but not the 6SE), I would actually say Jack's comments are spot on.

Dec 5, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #6 of 28
There is no reason I can see why the Woo2 would drive the T1's any better than the 6se.
Maybe the Woo2 might complement the T1's better but that is surely personal taste.

Also the Woo6se is a totally different amp and in a totally different class than the standard Woo6.
So any comparisons with the Woo6 and the Woo2 have no bearing on the Woo6se's ablity to drive and be a synergistic match to the T1's.

I have heard a number of people on head-fi say that the T1's and LCD-2's are quite similar in many ways (which is the reason I went with the HE6's instead of the T1's as a complimentary can) and my Woo6se drives the LCD-2's very well indeed so I would expect it to do so with the T1's which I may still decide to get next year.

Dec 5, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #7 of 28

Quote:
There is no reason I can see why the Woo2 would drive the T1's any better than the 6se.
Maybe the Woo2 might complement the T1's better but that is surely personal taste.

Also the Woo6se is a totally different amp and in a totally different class than the standard Woo6.
So any comparisons with the Woo6 and the Woo2 have no bearing on the Woo6se's ablity to drive and be a synergistic match to the T1's.

I have heard a number of people on head-fi say that the T1's and LCD-2's are quite similar in many ways (which is the reason I went with the HE6's instead of the T1's as a complimentary can) and my Woo6se drives the LCD-2's very well indeed so I would expect it to do so with the T1's which I may still decide to get next year.

The LCD-2 and the T1 are nothing alike, electrically.  The T1 is very high sensitivity and very high impedance.  The LCD-2 are medium-low sensitivity and medium-low impedance.  This can certainly mean different amps will behave differently driving one or the other.

That's not to say that the 6SE won't be terrific driving the T1 (I don't know - have not heard the 6SE) - but there are certainly technical reasons why the two different Woo amps could differ in their capabilities with the very different T1 and LCD-2.

Dec 5, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #8 of 28

Quote:
The LCD-2 and the T1 are nothing alike, electrically.  The T1 is very high sensitivity and very high impedance.  The LCD-2 are medium-low sensitivity and medium-low impedance.  This can certainly mean different amps will behave differently driving one or the other.

That's not to say that the 6SE won't be terrific driving the T1 (I don't know - have not heard the 6SE) - but there are certainly technical reasons why the two different Woo amps could differ in their capabilities with the very different T1 and LCD-2.

Agreed but I was referring to synergy with the Woo6se and not electrical requirements although I could of made it more obvious in my post.

Are there any technical reasons why a OLT amp would be better than an amp with a tranformer for very high impedance phones?

Dec 5, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #9 of 28

Quote:
Agreed but I was referring to synergy with the Woo6se and not electrical requirements although I could of made it more obvious in my post.  
Are there any technical reasons why a OLT amp would be better than an amp with a tranformer for very high impedance phones?

Yes.  A transformer-coupled amp is going to use windings from the output transformer that are optimized for a certain load impedance.  Power delivery into a radically different load impedance will be reduced, at least to some degree.  A output transformer tap for 32 ohms, for example (a common choice for headphones in general) would not be as optimal for a 600 ohm headphone as a OTL can potentially be in terms of voltage delivery.  The T1 demand voltage more than current, being very high impedance but also very high sensitivity.  The LCD-2 demand more current. 

That said, the LCD-2 sound excellent on the WA-2, since it's a very powerful amp.  IIRC, the WA6SE is very powerful into lower impedance loads, but I honestly do not know what it's power delivery into a 600 ohm load would be.  Also given the high sensitivity of the T1, I'm not sure how much it would matter.  Just sayin'...there are differences...

Dec 5, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #10 of 28

Quote:

Quote:

Yes.  A transformer-coupled amp is going to use windings from the output transformer that are optimized for a certain load impedance.  Power delivery into a radically different load impedance will be reduced, at least to some degree.  A output transformer tap for 32 ohms, for example (a common choice for headphones in general) would not be as optimal for a 600 ohm headphone as a OTL can potentially be in terms of voltage delivery.  The T1 demand voltage more than current, being very high impedance but also very high sensitivity.  The LCD-2 demand more current. 

That said, the LCD-2 sound excellent on the WA-2, since it's a very powerful amp.  IIRC, the WA6SE is very powerful into lower impedance loads, but I honestly do not know what it's power delivery into a 600 ohm load would be.  Also given the high sensitivity of the T1, I'm not sure how much it would matter.  Just sayin'...there are differences...

Thanks that's interesting to know, I was only aware of OTL amps sometimes struggle with low impedance. I have e-mailed Jack for more info.
You are right about the Woo6se being very powerful into low impedance loads. Drives the HE-6's very well and plenty loud at 12 - 1 o'clock
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #11 of 28
Does anyone know what the output impedance is for Woo Transformer Coupled amps like WA6 and WA6SE ? I could not find this on the Woo website.

Also, @Skylab, does this mean that the WA3 is _better_ for 600ohm phones than the WA6 and WA6SE since it is OTL and not output transformer coupled?

Thanks,
AJ

Dec 5, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #13 of 28
It does not necessarily mean that, since there are lots of factors, but it might well be the case. I have not compared them directly, though. The WA2 is for sure (in my opinion, that is) better than the WA6 with 600 ohm cans.

Dec 5, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #14 of 28
What about the output impedance of WA6, WA6SE. Is this documented somewhere?

Thanks,
AJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back