WA3 or WA6 for HD 700?
Oct 17, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #32 of 37
How did the WA6 and WA6SE compare with the Lyr?  Specifically I'm thinking in terms of the Senn sound signature.  I also have a HD700, which I like (uber comfortable and more forward than the HD800), though I'm looking to soften it a bit.

I listened to some electronica last night with a Millet starving student tube amp and that definitely mellowed out the HD700.  Just would like something that has more build quality and bass extension.

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #33 of 37
How did the WA6 and WA6SE compare with the Lyr?  Specifically I'm thinking in terms of the Senn sound signature.  I also have a HD700, which I like (uber comfortable and more forward than the HD800), though I'm looking to soften it a bit.

I listened to some electronica last night with a Millet starving student tube amp and that definitely mellowed out the HD700.  Just would like something that has more build quality and bass extension.

To be fair I've always prefered tube amps the only reason I didn't like the lyr was because of the low level white noise that I found a little distracting. Whether it was down to a faulty unit I just preferred the otl wa3 because in my rig there was no white noise and the mids were silky smooth with the hd650's. I've had the chance to listen to the hd700's aswell great set of cans. My next purchase :). Now maybe I didn't dedicate enough time to the lyr as mids and bass seemed decent for the price I just hate background noise and this was a big factor in me ruling the schiit out. Sorry for the pun :)

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #34 of 37
  knowing the hd 700 is 150 ohms, itll sound pretty bad unamped. im guessing sterile and harsh with an odd veiling of detail, thats usually how it goes. very bland sound.

anyways sounds like the WA3 will be a winner. it'll last forever too and you can play around with tubes later.

As someone already said HD700 sounds actually quite decent even from iPhone or straight from PC, it's not sterile at all. Maybe little harsh with lower quality recordings when I crank up volume all the way up. 

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #35 of 37
  I happen to own HD800, HD700 and HD650 and a WA3.  I have to say the HD700 pairs very well with the WA3, in fact, as good as the HD650.  I highly recommend this combo, plus it is very affordable.  On the other hand, the HD800 did not pair as well as the WA3, i find it too laid back.

Which one would you suggest for HD800? I'm not satisfied with the lyr for it. Thanks

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #36 of 37
To be fair I've always prefered tube amps the only reason I didn't like the lyr was because of the low level white noise that I found a little distracting. Whether it was down to a faulty unit I just preferred the otl wa3 because in my rig there was no white noise and the mids were silky smooth with the hd650's. I've had the chance to listen to the hd700's aswell great set of cans. My next purchase :). Now maybe I didn't dedicate enough time to the lyr as mids and bass seemed decent for the price I just hate background noise and this was a big factor in me ruling the schiit out. Sorry for the pun :)

How is wa6 compared with wa3 for HD800?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back