WA22 let's roll some tubes (Done Mod, Burnning-in)
Mar 31, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #482 of 833
That looks good congrats..Enjoy

Thanks! Even with no break-in hours and the stock tubes it's fantastic. So much more natural and better depth than my WA7.

Apr 1, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #483 of 833
What kinds of improvements did you guys hear after your WA22s broke in?

Apr 1, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #484 of 833
What kinds of improvements did you guys hear after your WA22s broke in?

It does takes a certain amount of usage time or burn-in for tubes amps to lose their brittle sound and develop their beautiful "warm tone" mine seen to take about maybe 2 months I do listen most everyday 3-5 hours. What I noticed is my amp really opened up in a very big way the improvements in sq were so noticeably better I could tell right away. But keep in mind that's just my opinion others will say something like "10% of perceived improvement over a long period is real, 90% is imagined". I personally don't believe that to be true..Enjoy 

Apr 3, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #485 of 833
It does takes a certain amount of usage time or burn-in for tubes amps to lose their brittle sound and develop their beautiful "warm tone" mine seen to take about maybe 2 months I do listen most everyday 3-5 hours. What I noticed is my amp really opened up in a very big way the improvements in sq were so noticeably better I could tell right away. But keep in mind that's just my opinion others will say something like "10% of perceived improvement over a long period is real, 90% is imagined". I personally don't believe that to be true..Enjoy 

Yeah brittle is a perfect word to describe how it sounds right now. Even so, I'm floored with the Mojo/WA22 combo. The Sophia rectifier definitely smooths things out a little, as well as widens the sound stage over the stock Psvane. However the Psvane is definitely a little more bassy(which I likes..). I'll be swapping those two back and forth during the break-in period, but I can already tell I'm in "end-game good" territory even before I move on to a couple more tube rolls. This amp is ridiculously great sounding with the LCD-Xs. As future DAC technology progresses, I'll maybe upgrade that, but the WA22 stays.

Apr 4, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #486 of 833
Yeah brittle is a perfect word to describe how it sounds right now. Even so, I'm floored with the Mojo/WA22 combo. The Sophia rectifier definitely smooths things out a little, as well as widens the sound stage over the stock Psvane. However the Psvane is definitely a little more bassy(which I likes..). I'll be swapping those two back and forth during the break-in period, but I can already tell I'm in "end-game good" territory even before I move on to a couple more tube rolls. This amp is ridiculously great sounding with the LCD-Xs. As future DAC technology progresses, I'll maybe upgrade that, but the WA22 stays.

Generally out the 3 I found the biggest change/improvement with the power tube, followed by the rectifier, and last the drivers. While the sophia has the pretties lights :)

Apr 4, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #487 of 833
Generally out the 3 I found the biggest change/improvement with the power tube, followed by the rectifier, and last the drivers. While the sophia has the pretties lights
smily_headphones1.gif

Right -on I agree but the driver tubes do make a very big difference as well..Enjoy

Apr 4, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #488 of 833
Generally out the 3 I found the biggest change/improvement with the power tube, followed by the rectifier, and last the drivers. While the sophia has the pretties lights :)

Which power tubes are you using and what kinds of changes or improvements did you hear? Oh and yeah the sophia is absolutely gorgeous at night.

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #489 of 833
Which power tubes are you using and what kinds of changes or improvements did you hear? Oh and yeah the sophia is absolutely gorgeous at night.

I like using the ecc35's (favorites), I also really enjoy the ecc31's.. The details in my music are so much better it's noticeable different you really need to try them for your self to understand, you won't go back to what ever driver tube your using..Enjoy

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #490 of 833

I'm settled with ts5998 that gives me a more euphoric bass with more weight and body for my hd800 and he6. I prefer this over the 7236 which has tighter bass, and the we421a which I find nice smooth sounding but a tad less transparent and less bass impact than the 5998.

Apr 5, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #491 of 833
I like using the ecc35's (favorites), I also really enjoy the ecc31's.. The details in my music are so much better it's noticeable different you really need to try them for your self to understand, you won't go back to what ever driver tube your using..Enjoy

Yea drivers definitely also give you a lot improvement. Just that the 6sn7 prices had been more and more crazy! For 6SN7, I tried and quite like ecc31. Also liked the RCA 5692 , CV1988 but now fin back to vt231 which I feel gave me best transparency.

Apr 5, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #492 of 833
I'm settled with ts5998 that gives me a more euphoric bass with more weight and body for my hd800 and he6. I prefer this over the 7236 which has tighter bass, and the we421a which I find nice smooth sounding but a tad less transparent and less bass impact than the 5998.

That sounds awesome. So would these be the 5998s to get?

Apr 5, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #493 of 833
I will say that the ts 5998's are among my favorites If you've never tried them well worth a go on these simply amazing sound..

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #494 of 833
Generally out the 3 I found the biggest change/improvement with the power tube, followed by the rectifier, and last the drivers. While the sophia has the pretties lights
smily_headphones1.gif

+1 but I would add the power tubes are most likely to be the source of problems such as unwanted noise. They are followed by drivers for unwanted issues. As to rectifiers the 22 is very tolerant. The WA22 is fussy, unforgiving, and demands the best to get it running well. Tubes that perform well in other amps might not in a 22. When you get it right it rewards you handsomely.

One item I have not noticed being discussed is the temperature the amp runs at. Mine typically runs just shy of 120 degrees on the chassis ahead of the tubes. Adding socket savers has reduced that temperature by almost twenty degrees. I assume by getting the tubes further away from the chassis and providing more cooling surface. Has anyone noticed temperature related performance issues? Will the amp run better or be more tolerant of marginal tubes if it is running cooler? I added the savers today so I have not had a chance to make any further observations.

Apr 7, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #495 of 833
I ended up buying my WA22 back because I missed it , I sold it a short time after it was modded " Jupiter Caps "  Furutech IEC

Long story short , I sold the upgraded Power Tubes I had  TS VT231  but still had the others    

Current Tubes

Power Tubes Sylvania 7236
Driver Tubes Stock
Rectifier Tube 5AR4 Power Tubes Sylvania 7236

Question is what have you guys found to be a good driver tube since I will need to order some .....   I also ended up buying a Lio preamp with a headphone module which will be here in the morning , I want to compare the hp module to the Woo if there isnt a big difference I will probaly sell the Woo again since this will all be paet of my 2 ch setup now .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back