WA22 let's roll some tubes (Done Mod, Burnning-in)
Dec 27, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #121 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought power tube is quite important in tube matching, but not the driver.

Woo Amps are auto braising I guess. Matching tubes is always good for the amp.

Dec 27, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #122 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The tonal balanced SPL Phonitor with HD800 is better than WA22 with SE HD800 IMO, HD800 sounds lean with WA22 no matter what tubes I used. I did brought quite few tubes to the meet. BUT at same time Phonitor lack tube magic, it is not as soulfull as WA22, and less 3D imaging, more 2D feel with Phonitor.

I never heard SPL Auditor. HD800 was not mine, and was lawtonaudio recabled, which means it is much more soomth and more impact than stock HD800. Even all that, HD800 was not my cup of tea, it did not put me INTO the music. I ordered T1 instead.

Now, the weakest link in my system is my balanced HD650.

I've just been recently reading about the T1. As I understand it the Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 Headphones can be preordered. Where were you able to audition these or are you getting them solely upon someone's recommendation or your good intuition?
normal_smile .gif
You must let us know how they compare to the HD800s.

Dec 27, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #123 of 833
I heard a few different top of the line cans at meet. They were all better than my HD650 balanced, which I have owned for many years, piss me off
biggrin.gif
. Well those cans were better in different ways, and each carries their own signatures. Some Signatures I like , and some I don't; but they all sounded better than my HD650.

I was going to buy HD800 as replacement of my HD650 untill I heard them. HD800 is not good with all kind of music. If you only listen to soft music, they may do just fine. But I want to rock out sometimes. I have owned Grado RS-1 for a few month, the divoice was rather quick. Edition 8 was very close, look at the price Vs. the sound production: No. And they sound closed-in. Denon D7000 even recabled, the tonal balanced is off. AT L3000, way too much midrange with WA22 that overcome every other range. What else on the market? So the T1.

I keep my fingers crossed on T1, that's all I got for now on them.

Dec 27, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #124 of 833
Quote:

I heard a few different top of the line cans at meet. They were all better than my HD650 balanced, which I have owned for many years, piss me off
biggrin.gif
. Well those cans were better in different ways, and each carries their own signatures. Some Signatures I like , and some I don't; but they all sounded better than my HD650.

I was going to buy HD800 as replacement of my HD650 untill I heard them. HD800 is not good with all kind of music. If you only listen to soft music, they may do just fine. But I want to rock out sometimes. I have owned Grado RS-1 for a few month, the divoice was rather quick. Edition 8 was very close, look at the price Vs. the sound production: No. And they sound closed-in. Denon D7000 even recabled, the tonal balanced is off. AT L3000, way too much midrange with WA22 that overcome every other range. What else on the market? So the T1.

I keep my fingers crossed on T1, that's all I got for now on them.

The specs and pricing make its purchase compelling (they're priced slightly under the HD800s). I hope they fit the bill--literally.
biggrin.gif
And hope its a perfect marriage between Woo and Beyer. Well, nothing's perfect
tongue.gif
so I hope it almost perfect. It'll just be another episode of rolling tubes. Almost like cracking a safe--6SN7 to the left, KT99 to the right--but not at the same time!

Dec 27, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #125 of 833
Problem I have with HD800 is their strength, soundstage, which is so far apart makes me feel the artists fell off the stage and playing on against side wall of the hall.

Also the impact feel and bass.

I love VT99, they put a lot souls in WA22.

Dec 27, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #126 of 833
Seamaster, when you rolled lots of tubes at the Seattle meet, how long did you listen to a set of tubes before rolling to the next set and how long did you leave the amp off before turning it on again to listen to the next set of tubes?

Dec 27, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #127 of 833
I got there early, and preheated the amp for 45min+. I had each set of tube about over one hour. I swaped tubes after 2min I turnned it off. I know it was not healthy for the amp, but there was no time to wait. The meet had only 8 people, so noise was too big of issure.

I totaly rolled 3 sets, best 3 sets I had.

Dec 27, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #128 of 833
Quote:

Woo Amps are auto braising I guess. Matching tubes is always good for the amp.

What is auto braising?

Dec 28, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #129 of 833
Auto biasing, I think is what he meant to say?

Dec 28, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #130 of 833
This is a description of auto biasing on the PrimaLuna DiaLogue 2 amp.

[T]his circuit monitors and adjusts bias automatically. Each power tube is monitored to stay in a peak operating range. Improved performance and better sound, with distortion reduced by 40% to 50% over conventional designs. No need for matched tubes. No bias adjustments. Ever. ...

Dec 29, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #131 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Auto biasing, I think is what he meant to say?

Oh. lol.

I got it now. So, is Woo amps really auto biasing?

Dec 29, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #132 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh. lol.

I got it now. So, is Woo amps really auto biasing?

When they last time you see Woo owners have to adjust their amps? So, yes they are auto "Braising" LOL
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #133 of 833
Quote:

When they last time you see Woo owners have to adjust their amps? So, yes they are auto "Braising" LOL
biggrin.gif

Auto "Braising" means the Woo makes you dinner while you listen to your music!
k701smile.gif
The more the Woo costs, the better the meal.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back