WA22 let's roll some tubes (Done Mod, Burnning-in)
Dec 20, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #106 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clayton SF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I gather your WA22 will be Dan's first Woo. Did you meet anyone at the Seattle meet with Dan's mods? And if so on which amps? It will be interesting to see what he does with your power supply.
regular_smile .gif

No, that idea just popped up in my mind at meet. I rather just let him mod the PC board section where all the caps are, try to keep the cost down. There is no reason to spend $2000 USD to mod $2000 gear.

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #109 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just went straight to G.E.Cs

Aren't you the lucky one. Most people can't find these available on ebay.

With that said, the general consensus is that 5AS7G from Tung Sol or Raytheon is great. RCA is also very good.

Sylvania 7236 will more than double the output and it's definitely a good performer also.

Dec 23, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #110 of 833
So after a couple of months of use the Sophia 274b has developed an annoying buzz. Has anyone else had this uber-rectifier fail quite so soon?

Dec 23, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #112 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So after a couple of months of use the Sophia 274b has developed an annoying buzz. Has anyone else had this uber-rectifier fail quite so soon?

Have you try to clean tubes pins and your sockets? You are not the 1st case with Sophia I think.

Well I never had failed tube so far, very lucky.

Dec 23, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #113 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, that idea just popped up in my mind at meet. I rather just let him mod the PC board section where all the caps are, try to keep the cost down. There is no reason to spend $2000 USD to mod $2000 gear.

I read somewhere that you favored the SPL Phonitor over the WA22 with the HD800. Did you have a chance to listen to the SPL Auditor with your HD800?

Dec 26, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #114 of 833
I just got a Sovtek 5U4G rectifier. It's not like the stock rectifier that comes with some Woos like the WA6 and WA22 (before being replaced with the 5Z4G). This rectifier differs in that it has 2 getters and the glass seems to be much thicker--look at it's left shoulder; thick green glass like a Margarita glass.
wink.gif
I am wondering that since 2 getters make for a better vacuum it would also have a positive impact in the amp's sound stage. That is one Sovtek over the other =C=. That is the single getter versus the duo one. I guess time will tell. Jus' a-wonderin' if anyone else has tried this tube. The photos below are of the two-getter Sovtek.

P1000651.jpg
P1000656.jpg

Dec 26, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #115 of 833
Quote:

I read somewhere that you favored the SPL Phonitor over the WA22 with the HD800. Did you have a chance to listen to the SPL Auditor with your HD800?

The tonal balanced SPL Phonitor with HD800 is better than WA22 with SE HD800 IMO, HD800 sounds lean with WA22 no matter what tubes I used. I did brought quite few tubes to the meet. BUT at same time Phonitor lack tube magic, it is not as soulfull as WA22, and less 3D imaging, more 2D feel with Phonitor.

I never heard SPL Auditor. HD800 was not mine, and was lawtonaudio recabled, which means it is much more soomth and more impact than stock HD800. Even all that, HD800 was not my cup of tea, it did not put me INTO the music. I ordered T1 instead.

Now, the weakest link in my system is my balanced HD650.

Dec 26, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #117 of 833
WA22 is quite forgiving on tube matching. You would not hear difference if tubes are within 20% I guess.

I just bought B&K 747 Tube Tester Calibrated 2008, and test the tubes I have beening using are off match as much as 20%. But I could not hear any difference.

Dec 26, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #118 of 833
I thought power tube is quite important in tube matching, but not the driver.

Dec 27, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #119 of 833
Quote:

I just got a Sovtek 5U4G rectifier. It's not like the stock rectifier that comes with some Woos like the WA6 and WA22 (before being replaced with the 5Z4G). This rectifier differs in that it has 2 getters and the glass seems to be much thicker--look at it's left shoulder; thick green glass like a Margarita glass.
wink.gif
I am wondering that since 2 getters make for a better vacuum it would also have a positive impact in the amp's sound stage. That is one Sovtek over the other =C=. That is the single getter versus the duo one. I guess time will tell. Jus' a-wonderin' if anyone else has tried this tube. The photos below are of the two-getter Sovtek.

P1000651.jpg
P1000656.jpg

Why are your 6SN7's so clean? Both of mine have a big black spot on the side of the tube and the top is blackened a bit (I think).

Dec 27, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #120 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAudioDude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why are your 6SN7's so clean? Both of mine have a big black spot on the side of the tube and the top is blackened a bit (I think).

Oops. Sorry. I replaced the WA22's stock 6SN7's with some GE's from Canada that I had bought a few months ago. The 6SN7's that came with my WA22 have black spots as well. And one is darkening more than the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back