WA22 let's roll some tubes (Done Mod, Burnning-in)
Jan 27, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #616 of 833
Dude I'm sitting here drooling I've wanted the 4's since their release just the 4k price sorry and coupled with the 422a wow your wa22 must sound just great..enjoy

Thanks! I actually got them from a guy on here from Australia for 2800. Then sold my 3Cs immediately to make up some of the difference. That was the only way 4s were ever gonna happen for me, 4k is ridiculous. I do love them though. Every tube roll sounds like a new and insanely good headphone. Speaking of, I just got the metal base Sylvania 6SN7s in the mail today as per leftside's recommendation a while back. I hope they jive well with the 422a. But anyway like I said, detailed impressions and pics coming soon..

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #617 of 833
Speaking of HP's I'm finding the Ether Flows are a dream. They have broken in nicely. Match really well with both my amps and seem to suit all music. I don't miss Audeze at all and as I use to own two of them (LCD-3 and X) I thought I would.

Regarding the WA22 for kicks I threw in the cheap Brimar 5Z4GY into my WA22 a few weeks ago. Damn I like this tube. Sounds great with the Flows. I have no desire to take it out. So I guess cheap will do for now.

Jan 27, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #618 of 833
Oh..well then, that looks better than I expected.

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #619 of 833
^

Nice. :gs1000smile:

Jan 29, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #620 of 833
Speaking of HP's I'm finding the Ether Flows are a dream. They have broken in nicely. Match really well with both my amps and seem to suit all music. I don't miss Audeze at all and as I use to own two of them (LCD-3 and X) I thought I would.

Regarding the WA22 for kicks I threw in the cheap Brimar 5Z4GY into my WA22 a few weeks ago. Damn I like this tube. Sounds great with the Flows. I have no desire to take it out. So I guess cheap will do for now.

Awesome I'm still eyeing the flows the elear's that I just got are really sweet sounding but a pair of flows next xmas will probably happen, I'd also agree that brimar is very nice & one of my favorites..enjoy

Jan 29, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #621 of 833
Awesome I'm still eyeing the flows the elear's that I just got are really sweet sounding but a pair of flows next xmas will probably happen, I'd also agree that brimar is very nice & one of my favorites..enjoy

Flows and Elears will be awesome. Maybe, maybe is what I'm thinking.

I've got some adjustments coming for the AQ NightHawks as well. So I should see what happens there.

I'm finally coming back to appreciating the WA22 again. I adore the V281 however I've learned to hear the differences between the two amps. WA22 being a little less detailed and relaxed. Qualities I like.

Jan 29, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #622 of 833
Flows and Elears will be awesome. Maybe, maybe is what I'm thinking.

I've got some adjustments coming for the AQ NightHawks as well. So I should see what happens there.

I'm finally coming back to appreciating the WA22 again. I adore the V281 however I've learned to hear the differences between the two amps. WA22 being a little less detailed and relaxed. Qualities I like.

Adjustments to the Nighthawks? What is this talk of adjustments? Frankly, I was surprised awhile back when I noticed a pair of nighthawks in one of your photos. From what I've read, they are nice but not at your level. Am I wrong? They are quite attractive looking and I was going to give them a listen next weekend at Canjam

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #623 of 833
Adjustments to the Nighthawks? What is this talk of adjustments? Frankly, I was surprised awhile back when I noticed a pair of nighthawks in one of your photos. From what I've read, they are nice but not at your level. Am I wrong? They are quite attractive looking and I was going to give them a listen next weekend at Canjam

I really, really like the Hawks. They are like a really comfy and light pair of LCD-2's. Probably the smoothest, silky, holographic HP's I have heard.

The adjustment is new ear pads that Skylar the designer has come up with. He calls them boost pads. They are suppose to elevate the treble a little. I'm suspecting that a slightly elevated treble would make the Hawks close to the Flows which is a real achievement.

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #624 of 833
I really, really like the Hawks. They are like a really comfy and light pair of LCD-2's. Probably the smoothest, silky, holographic HP's I have heard.

The adjustment is new ear pads that Skylar the designer has come up with. He calls them boost pads. They are suppose to elevate the treble a little. I'm suspecting that a slightly elevated treble would make the Hawks close to the Flows which is a real achievement.

I've suffered some hearing loss. Nothing too extreme but enough and in such a way that the "holographic" is the most important characteristic for me. I have my own sense of detail but I sense that my sense of detail is not the same as someone's who has had no loss. I found the LCD-2 couldn't compete with the HD800S in holographics. I've heard the Ether but not the flow. I will very soon at can jam. But are you suggesting that the nighthawk with mod might be able to reach the holographics of HD800S?

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #625 of 833
I've suffered some hearing loss. Nothing too extreme but enough and in such a way that the "holographic" is the most important characteristic for me. I have my own sense of detail but I sense that my sense of detail is not the same as someone's who has had no loss. I found the LCD-2 couldn't compete with the HD800S in holographics. I've heard the Ether but not the flow. I will very soon at can jam. But are you suggesting that the nighthawk with mod might be able to reach the holographics of HD800S?

Too hard to say. HD800S is not my kind of HP. Too much treble. I understand the love tho. That treble gives the apearence of a larger soundstage which in turn gives the illusion of holographics. In my opinion from the times I have heard the HD800S it has too much soundstage.

Hawks standard are lush with great holographics. Just a little dull (dark). Flows are more lively without elevating treble. Extremely nice. I actually wouldn't want to change a thing. Hawks are my backups and they do suit some music over the Flows. Elevating the treble just a tad on the Hawks should be very interesting. I'm hoping it just takes a little dullness off and just remains a little darker than the Flows. If it does I will be set.

Jan 30, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #626 of 833
Too hard to say. HD800S is not my kind of HP. Too much treble. I understand the love tho. That treble gives the apearence of a larger soundstage which in turn gives the illusion of holographics. In my opinion from the times I have heard the HD800S it has too much soundstage.

Hawks standard are lush with great holographics. Just a little dull (dark). Flows are more lively without elevating treble. Extremely nice. I actually wouldn't want to change a thing. Hawks are my backups and they do suit some music over the Flows. Elevating the treble just a tad on the Hawks should be very interesting. I'm hoping it just takes a little dullness off and just remains a little darker than the Flows. If it does I will be set.

Spot on with the 800s couldn't have said it better my self, still haven't heard the hawks hope to soon..enjoy

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #627 of 833

Spot on with the 800s couldn't have said it better my self, still haven't heard the hawks hope to soon..enjoy

When I tried the HD800 I couldn't get them off my head fast enough. For me everything you say held true. They were detailed and terrible. So when I saw the HD800-S I had no interest but I had some time to kill. And I found the HD800S was everything the HD800 was and everything it wasn't. It's now my favorite. Compared to the Elear, there were was so much lacking from the Elear. I mean literally. There were things I just couldn't hear with Elear that came through loud and clear on HD800-S. I tried Focal Utopia and it sounded great. But there was no soundstage. NONE. I don't even know what too much soundstage even means. To me that's like saying too real. To me. Other people have different emphasis. But when I'm in my buddy's basement and he's playing the drums, the sound from his cymbals float in the air. And the HD800-S take me closer to that "reality" than any I've heard so far. I'm looking for more soundstage, not less.

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #628 of 833
When I tried the HD800 I couldn't get them off my head fast enough. For me everything you say held true. They were detailed and terrible. So when I saw the HD800-S I had no interest but I had some time to kill. And I found the HD800S was everything the HD800 was and everything it wasn't. It's now my favorite. Compared to the Elear, there were was so much lacking from the Elear. I mean literally. There were things I just couldn't hear with Elear that came through loud and clear on HD800-S. I tried Focal Utopia and it sounded great. But there was no soundstage. NONE. I don't even know what too much soundstage even means. To me that's like saying too real. To me. Other people have different emphasis. But when I'm in my buddy's basement and he's playing the drums, the sound from his cymbals float in the air. And the HD800-S take me closer to that "reality" than any I've heard so far. I'm looking for more soundstage, not less.

I think the HD800S is your HP then. I agree the HD800S is a lot better than the HD800. Slightly less treble and better bass.
I don't think you will get a larger soundstage than the HD800 and HD800S.

I loved the Utopia's.

Have you tried some Chesky bineral recordings? They have massive soundstages.

Feb 4, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #629 of 833
This is random but do any of you ever just have a bad amp day with tube amps? As in all things equal from the last session it just doesn't sound as meltingly gorgeous? Bass is a little meh, euphonics aren't as good, sound is a little dry even if you have your most lush tubes in. But then maybe the next day it's all back. I remember having the same issue even back in my WA7tp days and wondering did I not let it warm up long enough, too long, or is the temperature in my room too cool, did I accidentally nudge a tube, idk. I definitely trust my ears that this isn't some brain trick, and I know tube amps are strange creatures, but I'm just wondering if maybe it's just me and I might be crazy.

Feb 4, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #630 of 833
This is random but do any of you ever just have a bad amp day with tube amps? As in all things equal from the last session it just doesn't sound as meltingly gorgeous? Bass is a little meh, euphonics aren't as good, sound is a little dry even if you have your most lush tubes in. But then maybe the next day it's all back. I remember having the same issue even back in my WA7tp days and wondering did I not let it warm up long enough, too long, or is the temperature in my room too cool, did I accidentally nudge a tube, idk. I definitely trust my ears that this isn't some brain trick, and I know tube amps are strange creatures, but I'm just wondering if maybe it's just me and I might be crazy.

Yeah. Tube amps can swing. I have noticed my WA22 sounds best on warm/hot days. Best when the amp is warm bordering on hot.

However I think us humans swing more dramatically. Moods, headaches, tiredness or even blocked ears effect the sound the most.

Occasionally I note that a particular song didn't sound as great as previous. So I start that song again and raise the volume a tad. 9 times out of 10 the volume changes my impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back