WA22 let's roll some tubes (Done Mod, Burnning-in)
Jan 15, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #586 of 833
Question guys. I just received a pair of 200 ohm LCD-4s and wow, marvelous sound but I have to turn the volume up to 3/4 to get those things going on my WA22 with stock tubes. I ordered some Sylvania metal base 6SN7s and a WE422a rectifier last night. Will either of those tubes give me a little gain boost over the stock tubes?

I have LCD-3F and 3/4 volume would be uncomfortably loud. Try 5998 power tubes or 4 * 6BL7's. Also a higher gain driver tube such as an ECC33.

The Sylvania metal base and WE422A are lovely tubes but won't make a difference to the volume.

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #587 of 833
I have LCD-3F and 3/4 volume would be uncomfortably loud. Try 5998 power tubes or 4 * 6BL7's. Also a higher gain driver tube such as an ECC33.

The Sylvania metal base and WE422A are lovely tubes but won't make a difference to the volume.

Gotcha. I have the 5998s so I'll try those out. But yeah, I have the soon to be sold LCD-3C and 3/4 volume would hurt. But with the LCD-4s that part of the volume knob range is just starting to open them up. Not much headroom left which is a little concerning. I don't wanna have to step up to the WA22-SE when it comes out but I feel like I might be forced to. That's what I get for buying totl cans huh?

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #589 of 833
Do you have a preamp? You can get some more gain there.

Do you prefer the LCD4 over the LCD3? The LCD4 are on my shopping list for this year. And maybe the WA22SE.

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #590 of 833
Do you have a preamp? You can get some more gain there.

Do you prefer the LCD4 over the LCD3? The LCD4 are on my shopping list for this year. And maybe the WA22SE.

I was just thinking that. I use a Mojo in line level out mode as dac. I suppose I could crank its volume up a few notches past that to get more gain out of the WA22 but is that bad for the input stage of the amp to receive a signal higher than line level?

Literally just got the 4s today and only listened briefly just to make sure they work. But I could immediately tell they were smoother and had more detail and sparkle in the upper treble. Mids sounded more refined and bass extended lower and hit harder. Soundstage and imaging tests will have to wait til I log some more time on them. So far I'm impressed though.

I can already tell I'm gonna hear that WA22-SE w/ the 4s at canjam and fall in love. I'll be needing a bigger nightstand now cuz its footprint looks slightly larger than WA-22. Hopefully it accepts all my current rectifiers and driver tubes. Looks like it should right?

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #591 of 833
You're going to hate me for recommending another DAC. I've listened to the Mojo, and I like it so much I'm going to get one for my iPhone, but I'm not sure I'd use it as input to the WA22 driving the LCD4

Let us know how it goes with the WA22SE at the canjam.

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #592 of 833
You're going to hate me for recommending another DAC. I've listened to the Mojo, and I like it so much I'm going to get one for my iPhone, but I'm not sure I'd use it as input to the WA22 driving the LCD4

Let us know how it goes with the WA22SE at the canjam.

Will do. I'm probably going to pick up the new Hugo 2 at canjam for dac duty since Chord offers show discounts. It has an improved dac chip set, various filter modes, and most importantly small form factor for my nightstand. Anything up the ladder from that would be silly since I mainly listen to electronic music and the Mojo is already pretty mind blowing for that stuff.

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #593 of 833
Good stuff. I listen to a lot of electronic music. Don't underestimate what a decent system can do for all forms of electronic music. Everything from Massive Attack to banging techno. But, hey, I consider Chord Hugo + WA22 to be very decent. I've found the WA22 really likes a balanced connection, so also bear that in mind for one day in the future.

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #595 of 833
Does anyone know how many hours to expect from Tung-Sol 5998?

General rule is 5000 hours for tubes. Most important thing is to make sure the tubes are quiet and don't pop from new. Or else you will have a noisy tube for 5000 hours.

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #597 of 833
What is this mythical 10,000 hour figure? Is that for the original tube application?

There is a theory. Headphone tube amps draw less power on certain tubes than what the tubes were designed for.
So a mythical 10,000 hours gets talked about.

From what I've heard that theory really is for drive tubes only. Not really power tubes.
I wouldn't plan on tubes lasting 10,000 hours. 5,000 is more realistic.

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #598 of 833
There is a theory. Headphone tube amps draw less power on certain tubes than what the tubes were designed for.

So a mythical 10,000 hours gets talked about.

From what I've heard that theory really is for drive tubes only. Not really power tubes.
I wouldn't plan on tubes lasting 10,000 hours. 5,000 is more realistic.

Then I'm set for drivers til I'm over 100 years old and for power tubes til I'm over 70!

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #599 of 833
Then I'm set for drivers til I'm over 100 years old and for power tubes til I'm over 70!

Yeah! I've got 16 sets of everything I like.

So I have 16 Brimar 5Z4GY's
16 sets of Tung-Sol 6C8G's
16 sets of GE 6AS7GA's

All tubes have been run for a few hours quiet and tested.

I figure 5000 hours per tube. 1000 hours per year. Tubes last 5 years. 16 sets = 80 years. That puts me at age 127. So I'm covered.
biggrin.gif
By then I likely bored of tubes or deaf or most likely worm feed / dust.

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #600 of 833
so your saying your children will inherit a great tube collection by then worth lots of $$..enjoy dude 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back