WA 6 SE + HD800???
Sep 7, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #3 of 9
Well,

I do have both (HD800 and WA6SE) and it sounds fantastic.... I have the Sophia, and honestly, I am more than pleased with it.. Maybe I'll try another tube later, but for now....it's just great !!!!

Denys

Sep 8, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #4 of 9
Thats good news!

Another problem here is that Jack isnt returning my emails... I read he delivers great customer service so he must be away. We have exchanged 2 emails so far about listening/purchasing one of his amps and he asked me which headphones i wanted to listen to and he hasn't got back to me with a reply to that so Im a bit confused quite frankly.

I suggested that I wanted to pair his amp (WA 6 SE or WA 5 SE) with some HD800's and K701's and he hasnt replied since then. That was in late August so Im a bit confused?? I know he sells Stax and Grado's so I was wondering if that was sacrilege that I suggested a Senn phone instead of Grado???

Sep 9, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #6 of 9
It's part of my current setup, and it sounds excellent as long as they have the right complementary tubes, as previously mentioned, and good matching source (and IC's if you believe in them making a difference).  6SE's not as tubey-sounding as many others in its class so it's vital that you warm it up a bit; or else you'll get a sound that is bit too harsh for most ears.  My Hiface (known to bring the sound up more upfront) and Stello DA100 (generally agreed upon to be a warm sounding source) with my WA6SE+Mullard 5AR4+RCA 6DE7 (warmer, dynamic tubes) sounds quite balanced and pleasant, with minimal sibilance and good solid bass.  Power wise they definitely have enough to satisfy what the HD800 needs.

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
E-mail him again, sometimes I got e-mails in my spam folder, so I delete them without reading, It can happen to everyone. For both Low impedance (K701) and high impedance I definetely recommend the WA6SE, WA2 cannot drive well low impedance phones.

I think k701's actually sound really good out of the WA2

Sep 12, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #8 of 9
I listened to the HD-800 with the SE today at my friends house and they do sound great together , but if you do not mind buying a Chinese amp , the little dot MKVI balance gives you so much more, much more. After the K1000 that is the best sound that I have listened to. And I have listened to many different top of the line headphones! Like the T1  Denon 7000, grado GS1000, and others.

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #9 of 9
I agree with Henerenry.  My WA2 is my favorite amp for driving my HD800 or K702 -- plenty of dive and excellent control for AKGs.  If you talk to a few people who own the WA2, you'll find that it drives low impedance phones extremely well, including Grado and Audio Technica.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back