W5000 Vs. W2002
Jun 5, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
- The W2002 fit my head like a glove. The W5000 cups were a bit bigger and as a result applied more pressure to my head on the bottom of the pads than the top. It didn't feel as good on my head. The fit is going to be individual dependant, though.

This has nothing to do with build quality. It's about the design and as you said, fit of the headphones is very personal thing. My melon head is just right fit for W5000.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

- The w2002 cups are finished in an exquisite lacquor. It's the most beautiful wood finish I've seen. Deep, multifaceted, rich color that looks 3D, with a glossy finish. The w5000 finish is matte, the ebony is very 2D - it consists of only 2 colors: brown and black.

This is about outlook of the headphones. IMO it has very little to do with build quality. I like many things having piano lacquer finishing so I see your point here and usually it makes things look more expensive and better value. My 250EUR "subwoofer" has piano lacquering too. Very beautiful.

Quote:

- The W2002 frame around the cups is magnesium. The parts above this are plastic. Still, the whole frame/cup structure was very well damped to vibrations. I found the all-metal W5000 frame to vibrate/resonate to the slightest touch. If you listen loud and then pause suddenly, you can hear the vibrations as they subside in that split second! Also the finish on the magnesium part of the w2002/l3000 just feels more high quality than the metal in the w5000.

This is interesting and has everything to do with the build quality. I just thought that W5000 frame is plastic or magnesium. At least it feels and looks like it. Or are you talking about the U thing keeping the left and the right cup together. That is made of metal for sure.

I tried that listening loud and pausing but I can't hear any vibrations at all. Just my ears probably.

Jun 5, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #17 of 36
aria_ats.jpg

I think that they both look nice in their own ways.
It sort of like their looks reflect their sound.
A W5000 looks more workman like and a W2002 sounds more romantic and rosy.
I chose the W5000 over the W2002 ( thanks Purk! ). The latter's midrange is hard to beat but could not deal with a slower bass delivery.
I don't think sonicaly you can say which one is better. They are voiced differently.

They both worked exceptionally well with a Naim amp.

I do have to mention that one of the wing support came apart on the W5000. But the fit'n'finish of the enclosure is about the same albeit a W2002 is laquered and a W5000 has a satin finish.

I don't personally, care for a heavier 'cans than this. It's already plenty heavy enuf!

Jun 5, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #18 of 36
W5000 looks all black in that pic. Weird looking.
tongue.gif

Jun 5, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #20 of 36
Any of the Japanese headphones (Audio-Technica or JVC-Victor) have very unique sound signatures that you may, or may not appreciate.

That being said, if you have to choose only one, go for the W2002's. Their resell potential is much higher given the current market, so if you decide you don't like them, it shouldn't be difficult to sell them later without losing any money. Build-wise, the W5000's don't hold a candle to any of the earlier A-T woodies, as I found them to have a much cheaper construction style, and certainly not as beautiful as the W2002's.

Jun 5, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #21 of 36
I have to say that it's a bit of a weird concept that one would choose a hifi kit because of the potential market value.

This must be a head-fier thing then?

Normaly you would pick the fones based on sonic merits. ( at least I do )

Jun 5, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #22 of 36
Owned both. I prefer the W5000, sound and look.

Jun 5, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma

Agreed. It's just that I've found these Japanese headphone models to be the most difficult to define in words to have enough information upon which to base a permanent purchase. I've yet to read anything on Head-Fi that came close to what I heard from those three models, to have known with sufficient certainty whether they would be keepers (in fact, they ended up not being). Even meet-condition listening sessions were not good indicators.

That being said, unless said purchaser were to do a side-by-side comparison, I merely suggested going for the pair that has the most resale value as to not potentially lose in the transaction. He could always get a pair of W5000's or DX-1000's as they are in current production, and not limited.

Jun 5, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

I have to say that it's a bit of a weird concept that one would choose a hifi kit because of the potential market value.

This must be a head-fier thing then?

Many of us head-fier's buy and sell frequently in order to hear more gear (or we are likely to sell immediately if we don't love the sound). In that case, buying a headphone at a price lower than market value is a low risk proposition. If one was looking for their final pair of heaphones and knew they would not sell/buy again, then potential market value isn't as much a consideration.

Jun 5, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
It's just that I've found these Japanese headphone models to be the most difficult to define completely in words for someone to have enough information upon which to base a permanent purchase.

Does that include the Stax?

Quote:

I've yet to read anything on Head-Fi that came sufficiently close to what I heard from those three models to have known with sufficient certainly that they would be keepers (in fact, they ended up not being). Even meet-condition listening sessions were not good indicators.

You know the funny thing is that I had a W2002 in the past. Drove them with various sources/amps, and I came to the conclusion that they are hopelessly colured & slow fones in that, it only had a collector's value.

It's only recent that I've decided to give another shot because if my system changed. Only then, I undersood that boys at the AT knows what they are doing. I don't particularly buy into their Limited Edition marketing nonsense, but they are not a bad 'fones, apparently.

Quote:

That being said, unless said purchaser were to do a side-by-side comparison, I merely suggested going for the pair that has the most resale value as to not potentially lose in the transaction. He could always get a pair of W5000's or DX-1000's as they are in current production, and not limited.

That makes sense.
But I'd think that at the prices he was quoted, I doubt either way, he'd lose money and in the case of a W2002, I bet he can make money off it.

When I bought my W5000 from Purk, I took a bet based on more favourable experience on a W2002. ( I just lucked out on this one )

Jun 5, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Does that include the Stax?

The OP did not mention Stax.

Jun 6, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #28 of 36
Thanks guys,
I appreciate all the knowledge that was supplied here.
eventually, I suggested the guy to go with the W5000, as they seem to be better, or more suitable for his needs (no HA2002, listens to rock etc...)
I heared from some people that the W2002 sounds crappy, or at least compared to how they look
eggosmile.gif

The prices are DAMN GOOD, I know, and the W2002 is NEW IN BOX !!
I would still buy an headphone based on its sound quality as the determinant factor.
So W2002 at least for me, are inferior compared to the W5000, at least from what I understand.
I hope I will be able to listen to the W5000, now that at least one "saint" audiophile will posses them in Israel (my country).

I offered him to bring both W5000 and W2002, for their great prices, the W2002 NIB can be easily supply a couple of hundreds of dollars just from selling them at head-Fi/Ebay.
In case I wont like them, and the W5000 can be selled at the same price in case I wont like them so its a win or win situation, I hope he (the guy) will be able to bring some
lambda.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 12:23 PM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
...The JVC is interesting and has some very enjoyable aspects to its sound, but is not as technically competent as the W5000.

Best,

-Jason

Jason,
I don't want to go too much off topic here, but I am intrigued by what you said here. Could you please explain what you mean by "technically competent"? To explain my question: I am very interested in the W5000. But I never heard it. As far as ATH goes I own the W100's and I like them a lot, although I realise they are not perfect. I also own the DX1000 and like them VERY much. I think they are a lot better in many respects than the W100's (BASS, impact, weight, soundstage). Still they have the same apeal to me in sound character (is similar signature the right expression?).
Since you are (I think) one of the very few people that heard them both: What do you consider the sonic difference beteen W5000 and DX1000?
Thanks,
Kees.

Jun 6, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
Is that w2002 new, or like new (no scuffs on cups). If so, that's a deal that you probably won't see again. You can get a w5000 anytime. A mint w2002 would go for a LOT more than $720 around here.

W2002 price history:

On 13 February 2002: $500
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ht=FS%3A+W2002

On 4 November 2002: $750

On 6 December 2002: asking price $720 (no indication of successful transaction)

On 13 February 2003: $725

On 28 March 2003: $735

On 11 January 2004: $700

On 5 April 2004: $850

On 8 May 2004: $730
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ght=W2002+sale

On 15 March 2005: $750

On 7 March 2006: $1200
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ght=W2002+sale

I believe there were other $1k+ transactions in the year 2006, but I was unable to get more information. A $1k+ price for the W2002 is not so rediculous nowadays. You have a very good deal there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back