W5000 Vs. W2002
Jun 6, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #31 of 36
I think you did the right thing and buy both. If you plan keep the W5000, why don't spend another grand and get the matching amp for it? Based on my experience with AT phones, the HA2002 really works wonder with the W2002. The W2002 sounds less impressive when amping by the Singlepower SDS, PPA amp, and headroom Max.

Jun 7, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #32 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk
I think you did the right thing and buy both. If you plan keep the W5000, why don't spend another grand and get the matching amp for it? Based on my experience with AT phones, the HA2002 really works wonder with the W2002. The W2002 sounds less impressive when amping by the Singlepower SDS, PPA amp, and headroom Max.

This is a prime example of how Head-Fi just makes you damn poor... First you drop over a grand on headphones. Then the temptation comes to buy some new amps as well...

Jun 7, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #33 of 36
For the new in box W2002, I would also get the HA2002, which is currently for sale in the Shinjuku Audio Union for about $900. I saw it on my trip but didn't buy it. It's still there.

The used HA5000 is still available at Fujiya-Avic.

Man what great opportunities for ATOWF. I wouldn't let both these pass you up.

Best,

-Jason

Jun 7, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees
Jason,
I don't want to go too much off topic here, but I am intrigued by what you said here. Could you please explain what you mean by "technically competent"?

I've only heard the JVC on two occasions, one in San Jose at the meet there and one at a NYC mini meet. So I have not owned these phones or had them for an extended period of time.

I will say I found the sound sounded nice in many respects, but it never came together as a cohesive whole to me. I liked the treble that was there - it was nice, clean and fast, but it didn't match with me with the big somewhat less than tight bass. I like big bass, but sometimes it felt like it was overwhelming everything. These left the mids feeling okay, but a little less present (though I'm not sure I would call it recessed... that's not it).

The soundstaging was fascinating. It didn't soundstage like any other headphone I've heard. I think jpleg describes it as having a built in cross-feed effect of sorts, and I can definitely agree that it's something not unlike that. It did feel a bit too unusual to me on the tracks I tried it with, though I can imagine it actually being pretty good.

I dont know though. Honestly, the W5000 does better in these areas - it's nicely tonally balanced, maybe a bit on the thin, less bass/warmth side, but that's rectified with the right amp. The soundstaging is extremely cohesive and presents a fabulously 3d space left to right. It's not the widest in the world, but boy, it is definitely not 3 blob. Again though, the right amp is important to get the most out of this, though it seems to do okay with most amps. A lot less sensitive than the W2002.

Best regards,

-Jason

Jun 10, 2006 at 10:54 AM Post #36 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
(ON JVC DX1000):
I will say I found the sound sounded nice in many respects, but it never came together as a cohesive whole to me. I liked the treble that was there - it was nice, clean and fast, but it didn't match with me with the big somewhat less than tight bass. I like big bass, but sometimes it felt like it was overwhelming everything. These left the mids feeling okay, but a little less present (though I'm not sure I would call it recessed... that's not it).

Thanks a lot for your answer. I agree with you, especially on the BASS bit of the DX1000. OTOH, it indicated to me the potential to produce great bass, so I went looking for the right amplification to create that. I found it by replacing the Mullard tubes I used in my Xcan-v3 with Philips Miniwatt SQ's.
It tames the bass and gives it more detail and impact. (works great for my HD650 too). I think that headphones that are potentially great sounding suffer the most from bad (not fitting) source and amping. Therefore they get criticised very often, where phones with very restricted possibilities cannot make that many mistakes and sound "better" on average (with average source&amp). I for me like the challenge to find the right combo for phones that are "difficult"....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back