W5000 have landed!
Dec 8, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #151 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Or maybe an alternative side to the argument is that the w5k's are as good as what Gurus says there are and l3k owners are slightly miffed that they forked out too early instead of waiting for the w5k's.
very_evil_smiley.gif

That too, if it sounds that good out of the box thats what i'd hope people would say about it
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #152 of 278
Guru,
Thanks for sharing your opinion of the W5000 with us so far. I will soon get to hear one next week.

Dec 8, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #154 of 278
Seems like if we don't take the limitedness of the L3000 into account, price/sound quality ratio, the W5000 wins the L3000 hands down. Now, time for me to get the W5000s...
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 8, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #155 of 278
icon10.gif
You guys are killing me....

Overlunge

Dec 8, 2005 at 7:57 AM Post #157 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
icon10.gif
You guys are killing me....

Me too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
this forum is evil.

Seconded.

I haven't heard a W5000 yet.

One quality the AD2000 has is an airy spaciousness that the L3000 does not have. The L3000 has excellent instrument separation but it doesn't have the sense of air that makes the AD2000 special. It does have warmth and smoothness that is lacking in the AD2000. Deciding between the AD2000 and L3000 is difficult because they sound so different, and I can't say which one is preferable. It depends on the music and other factors such as mood, time of day, ambient temperature, etc.

It seems the W5000 is in between the AD2000 and L3000. I think it would be difficult to beat both the AD2000's airyness and the L3000's warm smoothness. Maybe a combination of the two is just right.

Dec 8, 2005 at 7:59 AM Post #158 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip
Yes I am waiting for some negative also. I have $10 saying I end up with a pair before the end of the year...
evil_smiley.gif

-Alex-

I'll be sure to rip my own pair part (figuratively) when I get them, including all the negatives I can find.

All headphones have pros and cons. All of them.

I'm with team "no company".
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #160 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurus
They are brighter than the L3000 (but then anything is!) They are not as analytical as the K701s, more body and richness (warmth) than the K701s. I never felt the W5000 to sound strident which a lot of open and tranparent soundings headphones come across as.

We use to identify dark=warm concepts. And I´m not sure if that's right. I wouldnt say that anything is brighter than the L3000 (examples: O2, HD6xx, PX100, even HD595). However I would say that anything is "colder" (or less warm) than the L3000 (I never listened the new JVC or some of the old warm woodies, they could be the ones. I can´t say). The bass on L3000 makes you think the highs are not prominent (they are not, but I wouldn´t say really rolled-off either. I don't feel like I'm missing frecuencies) and that the spectrum lean to the bassy side (which is kind of true), but you get better treble that on all those other phones I wrote before. (IMHO).

I can understand some L3000 owners might not like to find the W5000 is better. Not my case at all. If that´s the case then great for all of us. Anyway it seems it's all about the kind of sound signature you like the most.

Tx a lot for your impressions. Glad to see the W5000 is a better fit for you. At the end of the day, that´s what is important. Please keep the burning-in impresions coming.

Cheers.

Dec 8, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #161 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolmanCool
Gurus, what's your opinion on the w5000's performance with classical and female vocals? Also, how do the w5000 stack against the L3000 in the same categories?

Unfortunately, I don't listen to clasical music, tho I have some Cd's but can't seem to find them. The closest thing I have and listened to is 'Renaissance-Live at Carnegie Hall' classfied as Progressive Rock but with NY Philharmonic Orchestra. Annie Haslam can really take those notes up there and like I said before the sound is still sweet thru the W5000. I think the W5000 should sound good with classical music as there is lot of detail at the top end and the strings have just the right sweetness with the halographic imaging and right amount of decay generally not found in closed headphones.

On female voices, also listened to Shirley Horn- You won't forget me-Jpn pressing and Jennifer Warnes-The Well. You can really hear how throaty Shirley sounds and the trumpet ( played by Miles Davis) sounds ever so sweet.

On 'The Well' Jennifer voice is clean and transparent and unaffected by the fast snap of the drums and the accoustic guitar comes thru even when the bass comes in. This generally sounds a bit muddy and confused when listened thru the L3000. Essentially with the L3000 the bass dominates the recording overshadowing her voice! I am sure that's not what Jennifer had in mind as the lead artist.

Overall- L3000-female voices sound as if they are clouded, like they have a headcold and are congested-sounding lush and musical but not letting the subtleties shine thru-the effect of feeling and enunciation gets lost in the lushness. In W5000 the voices are let thru as if the cloud cover has lifted and the sweetness is still there. I think I have repeated this quite often for you guys to get the message.

Dec 8, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #162 of 278
Thanks gurus, for continuing to take time out to provide us further impressions and insight into the W5000. I know the sound is less warm than the L3000 and more full than the K701...but would you describe the sound as being organic and palpable, with good sense of presence? Also you mentioned its open and transparent nature, but does it have depth and weight?

Dec 8, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #163 of 278
gurus, I get the feeling you listen to rock (as do I). Can you please also provide a similar L3k vs. W5000 comparison on rock music (hard, alt, whatever you listen to)...? The type of comparison you gave in regards to classical music and female vocalists was detailed, and interesting.

thx, walk

Dec 8, 2005 at 5:52 PM Post #164 of 278
Ayt999 posted another thread on W5000 http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=151090 He summarized posts from several Japanese audio forums and it seems that the W5000 is an improvement over the W1000 and AD2000. Members from others audio sites rated the W5000 as being on par with the JVC DX1000.

Dec 8, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #165 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk
Ayt999 posted another thread on W5000 http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=151090 He summarized posts from several Japanese audio forums and it seems that the W5000 is an improvement over the W1000 and AD2000. Members from others audio sites rated the W5000 as being on par with the JVC DX1000.

Some similar findings as mine

To quote from the post:
the W5000 uncharacteristically doesn't have much of the closed-headphone feel. rather than the thickness of the sound it emphasizes wide-range sonics and rather than a glossy sound the sound is more gentle. in terms of quality it seems equal to the W2002, but the character might be far more different than what he originally imagined. regarding the bass supposedly it extends further to the lower limits with a flat curve than before. for the treble and the upper extreme supposedly it is more accurate than the W2002 or the L3000 he had on hand...

Another one
..with regards to the W5000, he gets the impression that they are a hi-fi headphone without any peculiarities, just like the other impressions are saying, and that he especially likes the gentleness of the high end. he says that regarding that one trait he sometimes may think (sort of jokingly) that it may exceed the L3000 that he once owned? since he's a basshead that's the only aspect that dissatisfies him. but then he explains that the extension to the very low end is quite impressive.

Pls read the full thread so that you don't take the above comments out of context.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back