W4 Versus JH13 Versus JH16
Oct 19, 2012 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
This is not a technical review but more of a generalization.

JH13: PRO:  Insane speed, detail retrieval and instrument separation.  CON: While it has great lower bass extension, it is missing mid-bass so the presentation seems a bit "off".  While no siblance, the detail is so intense it can get fatiguing for extended periods. Almost unatural.

JH16:  PRO:  Bassy HUGE holographic detailed presentation on every level.  A real "WOW" experience.  CON:  It is such a big sound it may be fatiguiing at loud or extended listening periods. 

W4:  PRO:  Detail retreival, natural sounding with a BIG soundstage.  Very balanced and well represented on all frequencies.  CON: could use a pinch more shimmer in treble.

All 3 are great IEM's.  I saw an earlier post by someone that had these same IEM's, and was always stearing themselves back to the W4.  Having owned all 3 myself I can understand this as well.  It is just as "perfect" as the other two but is probably more well-rounded as something you would use day in and day out all the time.  A true and pure audiophiles IEM where the other two try to beat their chests trying to do other more specific things.  Straight up I would take W4 over JH13!  W4 is that good.  But being a bit of a bass head I would probably give a SLIGHT nod to JH16 over W4 but this just shows you how good W4 is at almost 1/3 the cost.

Oct 19, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 5
Just jumped from the UM3X to the W4 and couldn't be happier. A supremely balanced IEM with just the right amout of everything to sound smooth and natural. Instruments sound very real and the presentation has just the right amount of "weight" to not sound thin or too pumped up. Can't stop listening to these.

I've tried SuperFi Pro 5, HF5, S4, TS02, PFE, TF10, SE215, SE425, UE600, UM3X and I have no desire to try anymore. Don't want customs and I always seem to be popping these in and out to talk to someone and it's nice to have resale value if needed. They are plenty comfortable and I get a great seal with the grey tips. They are truly great IEM's. Not too dull, not too bright, not too cold, not too warm. Magic. Sound as good if not better than my $2,000.00 Snell 2C speakers.

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 5
Totally agree with the fatiguing on extended listening periods...that's my only complaint honestly though...I can definately see how you'd rate W4 as good for long term listening.
Quote:
This is not a technical review but more of a generalization.

JH13: PRO:  Insane speed, detail retrieval and instrument separation.  CON: While it has great lower bass extension, it is missing mid-bass so the presentation seems a bit "off".  While no siblance, the detail is so intense it can get fatiguing for extended periods. Almost unatural.

JH16:  PRO:  Bassy HUGE holographic detailed presentation on every level.  A real "WOW" experience.  CON:  It is such a big sound it may be fatiguiing at loud or extended listening periods. 

W4:  PRO:  Detail retreival, natural sounding with a BIG soundstage.  Very balanced and well represented on all frequencies.  CON: could use a pinch more shimmer in treble.

All 3 are great IEM's.  I saw an earlier post by someone that had these same IEM's, and was always stearing themselves back to the W4.  Having owned all 3 myself I can understand this as well.  It is just as "perfect" as the other two but is probably more well-rounded as something you would use day in and day out all the time.  A true and pure audiophiles IEM where the other two try to beat their chests trying to do other more specific things.  Straight up I would take W4 over JH13!  W4 is that good.  But being a bit of a bass head I would probably give a SLIGHT nod to JH16 over W4 but this just shows you how good W4 is at almost 1/3 the cost.

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 5
Spyro, I was reading another thread and saw you prefer the JH5 over the W4. Is the JH5 your favorite IEM overall?

Oct 20, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Spyro, I was reading another thread and saw you prefer the JH5 over the W4. Is the JH5 your favorite IEM overall?

That's a tough call since W4 is the new toy right now.  W4 is surely more refined sounding with a much larger soundstage.  For anyone looking for a more audiophile sound the W4 would be the better choice.  It's technically better.  W4 is probably better suited for jazz, classical, orchestral (not that it's bad with other music).  JH5 is more for rocking out, metal, hip hop.  While bass is deeper with W4 JH5 has more qty.   I'm always amazed what JH got out of 2 drivers with JH5. Treble is great!   It is truly a poor man's JH16 much like UM2 could be seen as UM3X little brother.  W4 less fatiguing over long periods but W4 is probably the king is that regard.

Slight nod to W4 but I could see many splitting 50/50 on this depending on type of music and preference in sound sig.

For what it's worth, I would take the JH5 over, both, the W3 and UM3X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back