W1000 Now At Audio Cubes!
Nov 14, 2002 at 10:44 PM Post #31 of 195
Me to, except I don't have the money to back it up.
rolleyes.gif

By the way Apollo, welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet.
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2002 at 11:18 PM Post #32 of 195
Usually one to shun social pressures and crass consumption...thanks for the not so subtle hints guys (and gals?)...this is a good exception.
biggrin.gif

What I will probably do, is wait a bit. But that could change, tell me how together AT's QC is.

Too often first samples have bugs, er, issues, er, features that are ironed out later.

Man, forget about bone conduction, these are made of wood.

Nov 15, 2002 at 1:53 AM Post #36 of 195
Hmm, on their page for the w100s, it says:

Quote:

Predecessor to Audio-Technica's popular ATH-W100 wooden headphones

Is that a typo? Or have these been in the pipeline for a while. . .?

Damn it. . . this AT craze is really getting to me. . . I'd just like a few more reviews! Come on guys.
biggrin.gif
Though with my head-fi hating father, he'd never let me buy these.
rolleyes.gif
Ah well, back to 580s we go!

Nov 15, 2002 at 2:41 AM Post #37 of 195
I think that the predecessor thing is a typo, or more likely a mistranslation. Kind of like all of the info on the "armband".

I believe that the resonance properties of both Ti and Al is very dependant on the heat treat used. T6 aluminum will ring like leaded crystal, complete with complex harmonics. With no heat treat, it is pretty dead. Not sure about Ti, but I will find out. Wood is pretty well damped. Makes me wonder about composites. AT needs to get busy on carbon fiber cans!

Wallijonn, you were kidding about the towels, right? I would be pretty worried about thermally insulating an electrical device then pumping power into it. Anything from melting to fire is possible if they can't disipate heat. Probably not enough power for ignition, but certainly enough for melting adhesives and plastic. You want to burn them in, not burn them out.

Later

gerG

Nov 15, 2002 at 4:31 AM Post #38 of 195
greg,

i'm more worried that my amp will catch fire. no, the cans are very loosely packed. i've checked on them every two to three hours and they look (and feel) fine. but just to be sure, (thanks for the tip), i've put them inside a big box (about 2.5 cubic feet) without the towels. i'm pushing Pink Floyd's "A collection of great dance songs" through it as i found the Wagner Overtures to be lacking in dynamics.

after 7 hours of burn in, i can hear a difference. out of the box the left channel was a little lower than the right. now they both sound equal. 4 days of burn in to go. i figure i'll rotate a different type of music cd into it every 8 to 12 hours.

Nov 15, 2002 at 5:09 AM Post #40 of 195
The internals of the W1000 are virtually identical to the W2002. The only difference is the single sided cord on the W1000 and the absence of the exquisite lacquer finish that is found only on the W2002. It also does not come with the nice aluminum carrying case nor the natural lambskin earpads. In essence, the W1000 appears to be the non-limited edition of the W2002. However, I assume you can purchase the lambskin earpads from Audiocubes for $45USD if you so wish, as they will fit identically on both the W1000 and W2002. With tangal.com charging an exorbitant $1500 for the limited edition W2002, the W1000 should be quite a steal at only $339.

Nov 15, 2002 at 10:19 AM Post #42 of 195
Thanks Elnero!! I was wondering who would find out the new prices first. Guess you won the find the price contest!! Good job!

Also, I wonder why the new W1000 is $10 cheaper than the old price for the W100s?? I wonder if these have very little changes, minor changes, or did they make enough money on the original designs that the changes they made didn't cost too much money??

Now I'm more interesteed than ever in hearing what the two of these things sound like!!!

Nov 15, 2002 at 10:37 AM Post #43 of 195
good luck with the new woodies mallow005, please inform us of your impressions when you can. also, i happened to notice that you reside in the bay area. i may now redirect you to this thread . that way, we can all drool, then get those impressions you had first hand and spread the news
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2002 at 4:33 PM Post #44 of 195
I think more than just my wallet is shaking now... So are these suposed to be good all purpous phones? I like lots of different stuff but can't afford more than one pair of good cans and an amp. I can't really afford even that, but I'll figure something out. Anyway, I was banking on the 590s, they seem to do a fiar job at everything and are open, which I want, but I guess I don't need. They seem like a 'safe buy.' But I wonder if maybe I want something more exiting. I think I could go for a pair of A1000s and hold off longer on the amp. All the while, I'm desperate to start saving for a used Porsche and now I've gone and opened my self up to let mark try to talk me into an SACD player. I think someone should just lock me up..
Anyway, how do you guys think the A1000 would compair to the 590 with an equinox cable or something? That would be about the same price.

I can already tell this place will be the death of me and I haven't even bought anything yet...

Nov 15, 2002 at 4:41 PM Post #45 of 195
DarkWolf,

I know exactly how you feel.

I only came here to look for some information, for chrissakes!

Now I've ordered a new headphone amp, a pair of headphones and have another set of headphones and a replacement cable just waiting for the credit card limit to clear...

I'm sure there's a conspiracy behind all this and somebody's getting huge royalties :-D

I have HD590 myself and I think it's a decent all arounder, although it can be a bit bright on badly recorded material and it's not a soundstaging monster. I'm getting HD600 with a replacement cable and seriously considering W1000 based on my W100 audition.

regards,
Halcyon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back