W/Rap Sucks 2.0..............................Rap/HipHop Appreciation Thread.
Aug 14, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #2,041 of 3,914
That is dope!  Pigeon is by far my fav Can Ox song, especially after hearing Vast talk about the meaning behind it and how they conceptualized it on the bonus disc to the Def Jux documentary "Revenge of the Robots".  It's absolutely awesome when you listen to this track and keep in your head the idea that a pigeon is just a survivor.  It always makes it through, no matter what, and Vast was expounding on how he felt the same way a lot because of where he grew up and came from.  Vast is one chill cat.

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #2,042 of 3,914
Quote:
Ya' mon ain't really feeling K.Dots constipated sounding old man voice, sounds hella weird to me but the dood is pretty nice. Big Sean is meh as hell, glad i never checked out his stuff haha. See that NY dood might be better lyrically at freestyles/ battle raps, but those other fools can make catchy music, hence the difference. This happens wayyy to often it seem, a battle MC gets some buzz and he crazy nice on freestyles or have you but when he hit the lab they can't really make good music for some reason. There's a disconnect somewhere.... lyrically gifted doesn't always = to good music sadly.

I don't think you know enough of Joell to comment on him and it shows in how you rant on about battle MCs not being able to do songs. That dude is pure hip-hop and who is basically a second generation of Pun. Flat out, if somebody proclaims king of NY without the skills to back it up, and not even from that area for that matter, they deserve to be ethered hard. Pre-Gasolined and all.

Your last comment is especially wrong in the realms of rap music especially if you don't listen to the lyricism first. The lyrically gifted rapping on break beats is rap music. if you don't understand that and decide a rapper's artistic capabilities is on the way they can come up with a a catchy tune, then you might as well listen to pop where catchy is the point of the music.

Hell, you just had a guy post CunninLynguist. That is rap music, that is hip-hop, Joell Ortiz is hip-hop.

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #2,043 of 3,914
Quote:
That is dope!  Pigeon is by far my fav Can Ox song, especially after hearing Vast talk about the meaning behind it and how they conceptualized it on the bonus disc to the Def Jux documentary "Revenge of the Robots".  It's absolutely awesome when you listen to this track and keep in your head the idea that a pigeon is just a survivor.  It always makes it through, no matter what, and Vast was expounding on how he felt the same way a lot because of where he grew up and came from.  Vast is one chill cat.

^

haha just messin' with ya', everyone knows how much i loves that word.
angry_face.gif

Damn this has been one of the most productive nights this thread has ever experienced, no thanks to Twinkie why of course.
tongue.gif

Good Schiit ya'll.

P.S. I actually can't really get into that 1st Cann Ox album for some strange reason, tried many times but....
I listened to this more tbh. LoL

http://www.thetroyblog.com/2011/02/14/cannibal-ox-selected-rarities-and-b-sides/

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #2,044 of 3,914
This is older no doubt many of you have seen it.

Always holds up to multiple watching.  Different and better ( I think ) video than the original one in this version which is worth the post.

Kabuto "Those Minerals"  Mass Effect 2 rap

take THAT!

BTW Finding and listening to new stuff is the best. Keep all the various stuff flowing.

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #2,045 of 3,914
Quote:
here's what happens when a real rapper responds

...and that's just one NY dude, now waiting on Ether 2 to put Kendrick out of his mystery

Had to chime in real quick for this. I expected nothing less from a quarter of the Slaughter, now waiting on Budden's rebuttal.

Kendrick got the hip hop world inspired again. This kid has always been incredible and doing everything he can to better himself. I don't believe he meant it to be a diss, but a challenge for his fellow rappers to advance their game.

I'm very excited to see how this progresses.

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #2,046 of 3,914
Quote:
I don't think you know enough of Joell to comment on him and it shows in how you rant on about battle MCs not being able to do songs. That dude is pure hip-hop and who is basically a second generation of Pun. Flat out, if somebody proclaims king of NY without the skills to back it up, and not even from that area for that matter, they deserve to be ethered hard. Pre-Gasolined and all.

Your last comment is especially wrong in the realms of rap music especially if you don't listen to the lyricism first. The lyrically gifted rapping on break beats is rap music. if you don't understand that and decide a rapper's artistic capabilities is on the way they can come up with a a catchy tune, then you might as well listen to pop where catchy is the point of the music.

Hell, you just had a guy post CunninLynguist. That is rap music, that is hip-hop, Joell Ortiz is hip-hop.

^ LoL Calm down Kami. There is more than enough wrap to go around.:)

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #2,047 of 3,914
Quote:

I'll take a chicken ceasar one please.   Why'd I say that I really could use one right now.
redface.gif

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #2,049 of 3,914
whys he drivin so fast there is he late getting that car back to the rental place? or is he gonna get in crap for missing dinner?

it's almost so seriously a joke that is not a joke but can be passed off as some sort of....joke. 

~ 2:50 there he is getting the models mixed up because he's too stoned or something
bigsmile_face.gif
maybe that's why he can barely talk.

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #2,050 of 3,914
Quote:
I'll take a chicken ceasar one please.   Why'd I say that I really could use one right now.
redface.gif

Try the new CBO sandwich, its boss good.

Quote:

Nah, [Mod Edit: Please don't evade the profanity filter.] that, learn your **** then comment

Quote:
Had to chime in real quick for this. I expected nothing less from a quarter of the Slaughter, now waiting on Budden's rebuttal.

Kendrick got the hip hop world inspired again. This kid has always been incredible and doing everything he can to better himself. I don't believe he meant it to be a diss, but a challenge for his fellow rappers to advance their game.

I'm very excited to see how this progresses.

Nah, you don't proclaim King of NY and get away with it, especially newer generations. Jay Z tried this, 

Nas ethered him. 

50 tried this dissing this song and bitching about not being able to take part in it

D-Block and Fat Joe camps went in on him.

Honeslty, I doubt any of the rappers Kendrick want to step competitively can even match to the lyricism of the rappers I just posted. Hence, that call for competition is akin to an adolescent wanting to be treated as an adult. It won't happen.

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #2,051 of 3,914
Try the new CBO sandwich, its boss good.

what's this^^^^^^  

Aug 14, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #2,054 of 3,914
Quote:
^

haha just messin' with ya', everyone knows how much i loves that word.
angry_face.gif

Damn this has been one of the most productive nights this thread has ever experienced, no thanks to Twinkie why of course.
tongue.gif

Good sh!T ya'll.

P.S. I actually can't really get into that 1st Cann Ox album for some strange reason, tried many times but....
I listened to this more tbh. LoL

http://www.thetroyblog.com/2011/02/14/cannibal-ox-selected-rarities-and-b-sides/

That's a hell of a mixtape.  I've heard a lot of those tracks on other B-Sides and Mixtapes (the RJD2 remix of The F-Word is amazing), but Vast definitely does his own thing.  Check out that documentary Revenge of the Robots not only for the Vast Aire feature but because El-P is one interesting cat to listen to philosophize and you get to see what Mr. Lifs mom's house looks like.

Just so we don't forget who the true king (okay that's 100% subjective) is:

In regards to bass heavy... Look at some of the all time greatest artists/albums/songs... it really varies.  I wouldn't call GangStarr bass heavy, but then I would say that the bass is not neglecated in Illmatic so there you've got a case of same producer (who is probably top 5 ever) mixing it up on take, Step Into The Arena which is not as bass heavy as Illmatic yet both are still absolute masterpieces.  That's why I love hip hop.  

Aug 14, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #2,055 of 3,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamijoIsMyHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nah, you don't proclaim King of NY and get away with it, especially newer generations.

I'm not disclaiming any of the NY legends nor am I saying Kendrick deserves that title; he doesn't. There's a reason why he left out Jay, Nas, Andre 3K, and Em from the challenge.

Quote:

Honeslty, I doubt any of the rappers Kendrick want to step competitively can even match to the lyricism of the rappers I just posted. Hence, that call for competition is akin to an adolescent wanting to be treated as an adult. It won't happen.

That's his exact intention it seems; Kendrick has put hip hop back on the map by encouraging (if rather crudely) the new and old generations alike to get back to their roots. And that's exactly what's been happening. This is the response he wanted to trigger, to incite the flow of creativity that has seemingly been lacking lately. It honestly has not been. They say that hip hop was dead; I say it was in a coma, and people just needed to look for some spark to bring it back to life. And that spark has always been available aplenty in underground scenes that people just failed to notice.

These days, the terms new and old generation shouldn't even matter anymore. Rap and its lyricism has always been evolving, and the legends that are mentioned are legends because they have evolved along with the flow. To simply discredit new generation as just adolescents without any chance to hone their craft just feels counterproductive for the art as a whole. How the hell are we gonna evolve if we just keep sticking to the old ways?

This, I believe, is Kendrick's intention, to stirrup the scene in a constructive manner. Lyrical rapping is akin to participating in a competitive sport; these are gladiators battling for the top spot of rap supremacy. Yeah, Kendrick might have stepped out of the line for claiming to be a King of NY, but that kind of brazen declaration is sometimes needed to turn the creative knob on full blast (case in point: Ether). Kendrick did exactly that as many rappers are currently responding back to back to one-up him. I know this is what YAOWA and the rest of the Slaughter do on their spare time, but there have been other responses that put the rap game back on the map for the masses, and this is a very exciting news to me as a rapper.

On a closing note, a few of the artists Kendrick mentioned could definitely match the lyricism of the rappers you posted, along with Kendrick himself: Big K.R.I.T., and J. Cole. They're not as mature, obviously, and of course cannot exceed the legends, but can definitely hold their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back