W/Rap Sucks 2.0..............................Rap/HipHop Appreciation Thread.
Nov 4, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #3,801 of 3,914
Hey guys, what would be your top 5 hip hop records of all time?

Hey, then lets kick off the Wednesday morning with something I'm familiar with. Comfort zone galore.

To name just five automatically means doing many a few others short but let me play along. I think the first three are my personal favourites ever. There's a chance number 4 and 5 could be different tomorrow.
For example Gang Starr's Moment of Truth or Hard to Earn should kind of be in there for me. It's that The Extinction Agenda is totally jazzy funky groovy damn good. Even today.

Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Nas - Illmatic
Outkast - Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang 
Organized Konfusion - Stress The Extinction Agenda

On a side note, am I the only one who doesn't like Kendrick? I mean, who doesn't understand what the hype is all about.

Worry not. We're two now 
wink.gif

Allright, a bit unfair because I haven't heard his stuff more than twice but that usually is more than enough to get the picture.

Nov 4, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #3,802 of 3,914
On a side note, am I the only one who doesn't like Kendrick? I mean, who doesn't understand what the hype is all about.

Your definately not alone. I personally like Kendrick and how he's grown musically. Is he a god? No. If he comes on my iPod I usually skip through it... I think he's got some gems (westside right on time,watch out for detox, etc.) BUT!
There are so many talented artists out there that don't get recognition (Odisee,Busdriver,Sol,Michael Christmas) that I'd rather listen to.

Nov 4, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #3,804 of 3,914
Hey guys, what would be your top 5 hip hop records of all time?

I like lists 
normal_smile .gif
 I think mine would be (more or less - probably feel differently on any given day), in no particular order:

The Coup - Genocide & Juice
Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus
Binary Star - Masters of the Universe
Hieroglyphics - 3rd Eye Vision
Anti-Pop Consortium - Tragic Epilogue

Nov 14, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #3,806 of 3,914
  Logic's new album, The Incredible True Story, came out today.  I'm just going through it for the first time right now.  18 tracks! 

^
It pains me to say, as big of a Logic fan that i am this album is only alright. The skits were not very important to the overall feel/ the content and is skippable for me. BUT SADLY MOST OF THOSE SKITS ARE INTEGRATED INTO THE SONGS!!! GRRRR. I just hate it when artists does that cuz it makes somewhat good/great stand alone songs sound just annoying. 

Some topics/themes are getting stale like the black/white race issue cuz it has been mentioned many times in his previous songs already. Plus he is using these space journey skits to inflate his own ego a bit too much here by comparing his own work to directors like Quentin Tarantino. I was like ehhhh.... shouldn't we as listeners get to decide how it compares??? 

Overall just feel like the album is more telling its listener instead of showing us. 

I think Big K.R.I.T's Cadillactica album uses the space theme much more effective than what Logic is doing here cuz it leaves me feeling a bit empty after listening to it once. Nothing really stands out much besides a few tracks, plus didn't really felt floored by it or that is was anything important that was said that hasn't been said before.

This first listen review is kinda' what i felt from my 1st listen as well.
http://www.djbooth.net/index/news/entry/2015-11-12-logic-incredible-true-story-album-review

Oh well, Lupe's Tetsuo & Youth is in another league from this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back