W/Rap Sucks 2.0..............................Rap/HipHop Appreciation Thread.
Feb 11, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #121 of 3,914
We might as well bring entire crew here. Seriously. Just for fun, because that thread's pretty much dead anyways.

Yeah, that name tripped me out as well.

EH and DT were once pillars of the Korean hiphop, but not anymore  (EH's 4th album is a masterpiece). They are one of those emcees who failed to evolve along with the scene.

Putting the cultural differences aside, sure there maybe no "gangs" in Korea, but poverty is harsh, just like anywhere else. Even getting a part-time job is hard in Korea atm. Most university graduates will ends up taking entrance exams for a blue collar job. Not to mention all males must serve 2 years in the military. 

Artists like B-Free voicing his opinion.

Similar with GL's Metronome.

Poetic? I think so.

Wordplay

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #122 of 3,914
Quote:
We might as well bring entire crew here. Seriously. Just for fun, because that thread's pretty much dead anyways.

Yeah, that name tripped me out as well.

EH and DT were once pillars of the Korean hiphop, but not anymore  (EH's 4th album is a masterpiece). They are one of those emcees who failed to evolve along with the scene.

Putting the cultural differences aside, sure there maybe no "gangs" in Korea, but poverty is harsh, just like anywhere else. Even getting a part-time job is hard in Korea atm.

Artists like B-Free voicing his opinion.

Yeah that would be interesting to get the entire crew to hang out here but not everyone wants to make a new account to just discuss Korean Hip Hop and at head-fi of all places. haha It's not lets just say as "hip" as some of the other social media sites. And it just seems that only you and I, well maybe MTLs @ss are into more "audiophile" aspects of the music, so......... But it would be cool it this actually happens.

Yeah I was MTLs @ss is on head-fi?!!!
blink.gif
But then i see the guys posts and he is from Jpn me thinks with wayyy different taste in HipHop music. Would be interesting to get the REAL MTLs input on the international Hip Hop scene cuz he knows his sh!t like no other. I have learned to appreciate much more diverse styles of hip hop thanks to his @ss.

Hmmm had no idea Epik High was seen as a "pillar" of Khiphop cuz they seem pretty "fresh"/ new to the scene but Drunken Tiger i can see them labeled as such. You learn something new everyday i guess. Expanding my Khiphop knowledge woot woot!!! 

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #123 of 3,914
Quote:

Yeah that would be interesting to get the entire crew to hang out here but not everyone wants to make a new account to just discuss Korean Hip Hop and at head-fi of all places. haha It's not lets just say as "hip" as some of the other social media sites. And it just seems that only you and I, well maybe MTLs @ss are into more "audiophile" aspects of the music, so......... But it would be cool it this actually happens.

Yeah I was MTLs @ss is on head-fi?!!!
blink.gif
But then i see the guys posts and he is from Jpn me thinks with wayyy different taste in HipHop music. Would be interesting to get the REAL MTLs input on the international Hip Hop scene cuz he knows his sh!t like no other. I have learn to appreciate so much more diverse styles of hip hop thanks to his @ss.

Hmmm had no idea Epik High was seen as a "pillar" of Khiphop cuz they seem pretty "fresh"/ new to the scene but Drunken Tiger i can see them labeled as such. You learn something new everyday i guess. Expanding my Khiphop knowledge woot woot!!! 

Haha yeah, haven't talked to MTL in ages. He recently bought TMA AIAIAI if I recall correctly. He has some pretty nice stuff, so he'd fit in fine. MTL is pretty well informed in both western and Korean hiphop, appreciates both too.

Garion started the underground scene.
DT popularized it.
EH popularized it further with 3rd album (mostly with their track Fly). They only debuted 4 years after DT. But 4 years is a lot for such young genre in Korea. 

Fact of the day. CB Mass debuted before DT. Making Gaeko and Choiza one of the oldest khh artist.

Loptimist production. Yep, the Loptimist you know.

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #124 of 3,914
Quote:
Haha yeah, haven't talked to MTL in ages. He recently bought TMA AIAIAI if I recall correctly. He has some pretty nice stuff, so he'd fit in fine. MTL is pretty well informed in both western and Korean hiphop, appreciates both too.

Garion started the underground scene.
DT popularized it.
EH popularized it further with 3rd album (mostly with their track Fly). They only debuted 4 years after DT. But 4 years is a lot for such young genre in Korea. 

Fact of the day. CB Mass debuted before DT. Making Gaeko and Choiza one of the oldest khh artist.

Hmmmm MTL got the AIAIAIs??? Kinda a bit too "hipster" for his style, but maybe his @ss is a trendy hipster who knows. I tried it for like couple of minutes at Worstbuys but the built seems kinda iffy to me. Not as solid as I had imagine it to be. Don't remember exactly how they sounded like cuz the audition booth there sucks major donkey balls. Yeah I am sure he has some nice gear since he loves music so much. CZ is another story, that fool is a true cheapskate or just on a real tight budget, i remember somewhere he said he don't even own a cellphone.
blink.gif
I got to give him props for that, it's pretty cool to claim something like that these days. haha

That's what I thought, so why would you ever pick Drunken Tiger over Garion cuz even though i don't know a word of Korean, I can tell that Garion is much much more legit and a lot more talented than DT.

For me even CB Mass or Dynamic Duo is more talented than DT, and i am not a huge fan for them. But dayum DD goes wayyy back like that, crazy cuz they seem a lot more contemporary than Garion or even DT. Mindblown Officially!!!

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #125 of 3,914
Quote:
MTL? Is this the MTL I am thinking of? Or is this different one?

Garion? They aren't worthy of listening to Garion. The Quiett & Fana should be enough.

Korean not fit for rhyming? Are you even Korean? Korean is like, perfect for poetry. Please get your head out of English-centric view. Or try coming back when you actually know what you are talking about. 

Oh right, multisyllabic rhyme might be too hard for some.

Let's simplify things.

Here's EH.

Good old I.F and their very carefully crafted story.

Or good old positive music by DD

LOL @ no known DJs. DJ Premier digged DJ Soulscape's works. I think that's more than enough for some credibility. 

As far as producer goes, Voda Loca, Shimmytwice, Loptimist, Primary, Soulscape, keeperoots, etc etc.

got a link for khiphop lyrics? prefer if it was romanized

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #126 of 3,914
Sadly Garion never got the public spotlight until 2011-2012, due to sweeping 9 (or something around that) awards at  2011 Korean Music Awards. While Drunken Tiger appealed to the masses straight off the bat.

Dat Primary production.

Will have to admit, VJ's 누명 was instant classic for many listeners. 

Can't go wrong with Minos.

Quote:
got a link for khiphop lyrics? prefer if it was romanized

Nope, don't have any romanized lyrics. You can probably find the originals on Daum music, Naver music, Melon and other popular sites.

As far as romanization goes

http://www.kawa.net/works/ajax/romanize/hangul-e.html
http://www.thelapan.com/h2k/?pid=tr&sec=1

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #127 of 3,914
^ Freaken Primary meng, that fool is crazy versatile. Just starting to appreciate how amazing and diverse his production is, I SEE THE LIGHT NOW!!! LoL

Hey Raze this is a really interesting read, thanks Suh for linking me to this again. Who knew the 1st Battle rapper was Korean made. 

http://www.ktlit.com/korean-literature/kim-sakkat-koreas-and-the-worlds-original-battle-rapper

Blast from the past to the present this article on the history of Beats Headphones is a great read as well. Since this is a Hip Hop thread, can't call it a real one without the mention of the beloved Beats By Dre. : P

http://gizmodo.com/5981823/beat-by-dre-the-inside-story-of-how-monster-lost-the-world?utm_source=lifehacker.com&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=recirculation

Saw it on this head-fi thread 1st.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/650125/beat-by-dre-the-exclusive-inside-story-of-how-monster-lost-the-world

Happy reading!!!
beerchug.gif

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #128 of 3,914
hmm not rabid of a fan enough to romanize them myself, well, still no way to dissect the lyrical contents, they only still sound good

BTW easy on the vids, this will  be brutal for mobile users

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #129 of 3,914
Quote:
hmm not rabid of a fan enough to romanize them myself, well, still no way to dissect the lyrical contents, they only still sound good

LMAO this thread is killing my ancient lappy as well due to too many linked MVs on one page. haha
deadhorse.gif

But it's for the greater good so.............. keep them MVs coming even though it might crash this piece of crap lappy of mine.
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #130 of 3,914
Quote:

Even if I were to take my time and translate it, it would't come off nicely. Not sure how romanization would help you analyze them in the first place though.

Okay, put them in spoiler. Should be better now.

3AM, going to bed.

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #131 of 3,914
Quote:

Even if I were to take my time and translate it, it would't come off nicely. Not sure how romanization would help you analyze them in the first place though.

But yes, I will try to ease down on the vids. Pretty ironic, because I used to hate when people would post a lot of vids as well.

I can spot the multies if romanized

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #133 of 3,914
Quote:
I can spot the multies if romanized

Quote:

Even then, that's barely scratching the surface of the content.

I am curious what kind of "dissecting" method you will be using. Will look forward to this.

^ i dunno, sometimes you can over analyze the music to death with all these focus on multies/ double/ triple entendres, etc. It's great to do it in order to understand the deeper meaning of the message, purpose, etc but if you don't even understand the language at all, to me it's pretty pointless in doing so. Sometimes you just got to enjoy the music and forget all that lyrical crap.

Maybe this a bad headphone analogy but if you tend to over analyze/ monitor the sound of any headphone and only look for the negatives instead of the positives it can really ruin the overall enjoyment of the music. Cuz the music is what counts at the end of the day youknowhatimean.

I think A LOT of Lupe fans tend to do this with his music, over think/ analyze wayyy too much and not just simply enjoy the tunes. His music is crazy deep but sometimes doing this comes off as being kinda pretentious. I am at fault of doing this also and needs to catch my @ss when so.

edit: am also very much interested in your "dissecting" as well.
confused_face(1).gif

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #134 of 3,914
Quote:

^ i dunno, sometimes you can over analyze the music to death with all these focus on multies/ double/ triple entendres, etc. It's great to do it in order to understand the deeper meaning of the message, purpose, etc but if you don't even understand the language at all, to me it's pretty pointless in doing so. Sometimes you just got to enjoy the music and forget all that lyrical crap.

Maybe this a bad headphone analogy but if you tend to over analyze/ monitor the sound of any headphone and only look for the negatives instead of the positives it can really ruin the overall enjoyment of the music. Cuz the music is what counts at the end of the day youknowhatimean.

I think A LOT of Lupe fans tend to do this with his music, over think/ analyze wayyy too much and not just simply enjoy the tunes. His music is crazy deep but sometimes doing this comes off as being kinda pretentious. I am at fault of doing this also and needs to catch my @ss when so.

confused_face(1).gif

it's RAP music for a reason

Quote:

Even then, that's barely scratching the surface of the content.

I am curious what kind of "dissecting" method you will be using. Will look forward to this.

well that's main thing discussed by raze, according to him, korean rappers lack technical prowess in comparison to english rappers, a lot of hip-hop head like this aspect of rap, the complexity delivered in poetic rhyme form, you don't like this or something? 

Feb 11, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #135 of 3,914
Quote:
Doing great, how you been meng. Been busy trollin' like a villain here at head-fi. LMAO

Yeah CZ made a great point in Soompi's Korean Hip Hop thread that it is not worth arguing because the Korean language is so different from English that it is almost impossible to ask Korean artist to do what American artists can do with the English language, but still....................

Just sucks that it's been so dead of late for KHipHop but it's just the start of the year so it will pick up soon i hope.

It would be great if you can post some tracks that proves his arguments is flawed cuz I know there are tons of amazing artists that can break those linguistic limitations, Garion might be a great example but i have no idea since i don't understand Korean. LoL

edit: yeah trying to make this a fun/ light thread instead of what the old one was. Though that one was epic in how well it was able to troll people into making ridiculous ignorant generalizations of a music genre they don't know a thing about. I just hope this thread can live up to some of that legendary troll epic-ness. But hopefully not DAT LOCK. LMAO

Wait, wait, wait, Soompi? That thread?
...It explains so much now. I stopped following the thread after page ~200. No wonder the stuff you guys pull out are so familiar.

Quote:
^ Meng it's cuz she loss all that weight, i miss those sexy honey thighs of hers. T_T Now they all look like sooyoung, CARDBOARD!!! SNSD had something special during the gee era but I have loss all interest in them sadly, they all really look the same now, sticks. LoL

Oh yeah forgot to give you five raze for that Blackalicious joint, they are so underrated <3s Think they might have a new comeback album in 2013, will see............

edit: but those cute fanny anime eyes are still killer! <333s  ^.^

The avatar doesn't show her with the eye smile. Because I don't feel like melting into a puddle everytime I look at my DP.

Lol, you guys notice their weight. Not much to scrutinize there, I barely notice whenever people point out how skinny *insertcelebrityhere* become. 
Fany sorta stopped being my bias after The Boys. Now I am bias-less. 

And since this is a rap thread, I must say that the attempt at rap in IGAB were the most disgusting pieces of atrocities ever to touch my ears. Idol rap, blah blah, all mediocre, blah. Still thoroughly disgusting and putrid.

Quote:

confused_face(1).gif

I had a huge response to this as well, but it got lost in some other posts on some other thread...
Looking forward to dissection. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back