W/Rap Sucks 2.0..............................Rap/HipHop Appreciation Thread.
Jan 23, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #16 of 3,914
Quote:
oh believe me I meant the second one, Jeezy and T.I. are legit dudes

as for headphones, bassy ones will only suit modern beats, not older beats, depending on the producers, older beats had certain funk to them, hard to describe really other than mids will matter

So WE HERE ...............................
....................................................what's the problem, i see no problem then. 
rolleyes.gif

So what headphones/ iems would you rec that would be great with such elements in older styles of hip hop then??? Extremely interested. Anything from your personal collection you can recommend? 

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #17 of 3,914
I'm spoiled with shure 1840, excellent mids IMO, any studio monitor like the 840 or KRK 6400

Something I noticed looking back using cheap earphones, this is before I got into headfi, they are quite midcentric themselves which I didn't really felt the need to upgrade until I got into metal and music with better vocals and instruments played

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #18 of 3,914
Two of my favorites from Hezekiah

Wild & Wreckless

Looking Up Feat. Bilal

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #19 of 3,914
Rename the thread Rap/Hiphop Appreciation Thread.

Throwing out some new tunes from Tamaonsen <3

Jan 23, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #20 of 3,914
Quote:
@ Suky Suky
I know where you are coming from meng, i use to diss contemporary American hip hop a lot as well. Just wayyy too much over glorification of sex, drugs, violence, etc esp. in the mainstream. Most of the auto tune pop stuff is still garbage, but I have learned that like beats headphones of the audio world, it is a necessary evil of sorts and have learned to live with it, and even enjoy it to an extent. 

Yeppp I would say i really enjoyed Kendrick Lamars debut album but all those strange voices he uses sometimes gets in the way. LoL
The thing about Kanye is that i still don't get the hype on the guy. No doubt he is a talented producer but he sucks @ss as a rapper. For me he peaked after he dropped his first 2 albums or so. That Dark Twisted Fantasy album or whatever it's called is wayyy over hyped. The beats are alright but the content was awful. TBH i still don't get or buy into that Kanye hype by the media, same with Jay Z, just so meh to me. Jay at least got mad rapping skills but one of the greatest of all them as he is recently made out to be is laughable.   

Hey you know what i got the Senni CX250s, probably sounds the same as your CX200 but just with a volume control. They are indeed great for hip hop/rap. The bass is big and strong, although it bleeds into the mids and highs a bit. Not the best cleanest bass, but they do justice to the bass and is really a fun iem to have. They sound even better with some foam tips. Man you gotta try those MH1Cs out then, they will blow your mind. Just sucks that that j-cord cable is horrid! 
beerchug.gif

I don't know. There was some songs and lyrics in Kendricks were some that I didn't hear anywhere else. 

About Kanye, I really like his albums (started liking him after Graduation), his style of rapping and background, his best album imo is 808s and Heartbreaks (at the time I heard that album on its release, it sounded really great *all songs* and heard it for at least 6 - 8 months. I love the album since i've also got some nostalgic memories with it).

Jay Z is okay. For me, he went stale.. Blueprint 3 was decent for me, as well as watch the throne. American Gangster was a great album and his last great imo.

I'm not really sure about the 250s. I had the CX200's for about a year before they broke down.. Now I'm using the new pair of apple earbuds until I can afford the CX400's

Jan 23, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #21 of 3,914
Quote:

Wild & Wreckless

Looking Up Feat. Bilal

Oh man Hezekiah got that funky soulful sound, very nice! I am gonna need to check his stuff out. Great stuff kazsud!!!

Quote:

So glad to see that that Nujabes spirit is living strong in so many producers today in the alternative hip hop genre. That 1st Tamaonsen track is crazy nice, MCs were on point and the vocals are just so sweet sounding. Anime and this type of hip hop gels amazingly well.
beerchug.gif

Oh regarding the name change on this thread. I purposely did it like that for many reasons. The main reason is that i want it to carry that "Rap Sucks" legacy but want to give it positive spin. To an extent i agree with the OP of that "Rap Sucks"  thread because mainstream corporate "rap" does suck.

Let me break it down: "W/rap" = Whack rap, as in pop rap sucks. Which i believe is true. But real rap/ hip hop is amazing, hence the "Appreciation" aspect of this thread is dedicated to.

If i just name it as you stated "Rap/Hiphop Appreciation Thread" man how boring sounding is that??? I have to live up to the custom title under my avatar meng.
cool.gif

Ok gonna see if you'll dig some of this stuff, i really dig these two self reflective tracks.

...........alright enough of these introspective stuff, gonna put you'll to sleep. LoL

Here a Banger to enjoy.

Jan 23, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #22 of 3,914
Yeah you aren't really hearing the real Jay's until you check out reasonable doubt and the original blueprint, although I am not the biggest jay fan, I can understand why ppl put him in the top ten dead or alive

Kanye is a decent rapper, not amazing but works with what he got, search YouTube for Kanye vs mos def, lol worthy

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #23 of 3,914
Quote:

I don't know. There was some songs and lyrics in Kendricks were some that I didn't hear anywhere else. 

About Kanye, I really like his albums (started liking him after Graduation), his style of rapping and background, his best album imo is 808s and Heartbreaks (at the time I heard that album on its release, it sounded really great *all songs* and heard it for at least 6 - 8 months. I love the album since i've also got some nostalgic memories with it).

Jay Z is okay. For me, he went stale.. Blueprint 3 was decent for me, as well as watch the throne. American Gangster was a great album and his last great imo.

I'm not really sure about the 250s. I had the CX200's for about a year before they broke down.. Now I'm using the new pair of apple earbuds until I can afford the CX400's

Yeah Kendricks album is pretty special esp. in todays over-saturated pop rap.
Yeppp on that Jay Z aspect he peaked wayyy back already.

LoL I am selling my CX250s if you are interested, my sets are in great condition and seems to be pretty durable. Shameless plug.
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/643666/budget-fi-iem-superlux-sale-all-must-go

Quote:
Yeah you aren't really hearing the real Jay's until you check out reasonable doubt and the original blueprint, although I am not the biggest jay fan, I can understand why ppl put him in the top ten dead or alive

Kanye is a decent rapper, not amazing but works with what he got, search YouTube for Kanye vs mos def, lol worthy

I know right, like i stated above Jay has peaked a long time ago, just like Em' and now they are just hanging on by the "brand name" they have created but is no longer game changers/ unique.

Kanye is alright, i just don't get the hype on the guy that's all.

@PFULMTL
LMAO every time i see your name i think of this guy from one of the Korean Hip Hop forums i frequent.

http://purplemtl.blogspot.com/

That fool knows his hip hop meng. His blog is the gold mine for amazing Korean Hip Hop.

And on that note, Rename your name to PURPLEMTL............................................................pretty please???
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #25 of 3,914
Quote:

Wild & Wreckless

Looking Up Feat. Bilal

don't know much about that dude, but based of those 2 songs, he's dope, wild & wreckless pretty much proves my point that you will want good mids from your headphones

Quote:

ended up liking the singer more -.-

although I haven't heard the original, the remix song seems off

Quote:

Oh man Hezekiah got that funky soulful sound, very nice! I am gonna need to check his stuff out. Great stuff kazsud!!!

So glad to see that that Nujabes spirit is living strong in so many producers today in the alternative hip hop genre. That 1st Tamaonsen track is crazy nice, MCs were on point and the vocals are just so sweet sounding. Anime and this type of hip hop gels amazingly well.
beerchug.gif

Oh regarding the name change on this thread. I purposely did it like that for many reasons. The main reason is that i want it to carry that "Rap Sucks" legacy but want to give it positive spin. To an extent i agree with the OP of that "Rap Sucks"  thread because mainstream corporate "rap" does suck.

Let me break it down: "W/rap" = Whack rap, as in pop rap sucks. Which i believe is true. But real rap/ hip hop is amazing, hence the "Appreciation" aspect of this thread is dedicated to.

If i just name it as you stated "Rap/Hiphop Appreciation Thread" man how boring sounding is that??? I have to live up to the custom title under my avatar meng.
cool.gif

Ok gonna see if you'll dig some of this stuff, i really dig these two self reflective tracks.

...........alright enough of these introspective stuff, gonna put you'll to sleep. LoL

Here a Banger to enjoy.

son of ran is really good, nice one, flow is natural and lyrics represents himself exclusively...filipino or something?

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #26 of 3,914
Quote:
Cool, I can come here to troll. 

Well, while you're at it make yourself comfy, this thread is the Troll Headquarters Central. T.H.C
wink_face.gif
We get blazed up in herrrrr!!!
The Tribe is classic stuff, great taste Danny.
beerchug.gif

Quote:
don't know much about that dude, but based of those 2 songs, he's dope, wild & wreckless pretty much proves my point that you will want good mids from your headphones

ended up liking the singer more -.-

although I haven't heard the original, the remix song seems off

son of ran is really good, nice one, flow is natural and lyrics represents himself exclusively...filipino or something?

Gotta rep my pinoys up in herrr. Yeah his "Incoming Message" album is off the chain, all are pretty good really. But that one is his most refined/ mainstream, catchy stuff. Too bad he threw in the towel as it was expressed in those 2 MVs above.  :  (, just when i found out about him too.

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #28 of 3,914
curve ball, but anyone into Hacktivist?  It's Djent + rap.

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #29 of 3,914
Quote:
2 of my faves Right here. NAS Lauren Hill If I ruled the world

Mob Deep Survival of the fittest.

Man, I haven't heard these song for a while, bought back some bitter sweet memories

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #30 of 3,914
Thank you for this thread! I like rap/hip hop but finding good rap is tough sometimes! Time to check out these artists!

I'll also post a few of my favorites:

This rap trio sounds more of a rap/J-Pop fusion than proper rap to me, but give them a try:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back