VSonic VSD5 Impressions Thread. VSonic's answer to Sony's EX1000???
Jan 12, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #1,126 of 1,164
  Yea I had a set of Comply Isolations on the first pair before they got lost. I find that the foam tips Vsonic provide with their earphones break easily, and i mean very easily, every set I've used have broken in a few hours of use, and I take good care of them. So that was the big frustration, the standard tips didn't last, and third party sets didn't fit properly.

I superglued a pair of spiral dots to my pair of VSD1s' ...seems to be fine although haven't dared try this with the more expensive sets .

Jan 12, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #1,127 of 1,164

I superglued a pair of spiral dots to my pair of VSD1s' ...seems to be fine although haven't dared try this with the more expensive sets .

My biggest worry with doing that to the 5S is that if they break I'm on my own as far as warranty goes, i was tempted to put the original pair of VSD5 I had, to fix them but LendMeURears were more then willing to replace them so I'm comfortable in the seller warranty.

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #1,128 of 1,164
  Yea I had a set of Comply Isolations on the first pair before they got lost. I find that the foam tips Vsonic provide with their earphones break easily, and i mean very easily, every set I've used have broken in a few hours of use, and I take good care of them. So that was the big frustration, the standard tips didn't last, and third party sets didn't fit properly.

I've had some luck with cutting some very narrow strips of electrical tape and putting it under/up to the first lip of the VSD3/5 IEM nozzle. That gives it a thicker diameter, and tips will be more snug fitting thanks to it, and the lip will better prevent them from slipping off.

Jan 12, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #1,129 of 1,164
  I've had some luck with cutting some very narrow strips of electrical tape and putting it under/up to the first lip of the VSD3/5 IEM nozzle. That gives it a thicker diameter, and tips will be more snug fitting thanks to it, and the lip will better prevent them from slipping off.

Okay thank you, I'll certainly give that a try when I inevitably lose the standard large silicone tips.

Jan 23, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #1,130 of 1,164
Okay so I've put a few hundred hours of use into the VSD5S' now, and I'm still in love. Out of the box they had the immediately impressive sound I was after, and it didn't get old, which is why i love them. However i did notice sibilance, and it was enough to hit me every time i listened to a high ended song, but now its completely gone, the only change I've noticed with the sound. I'm not interested in having the burn in debate, so whether it was the earphones or me that adjusted/changed, I couldn't care less, the problem is solved.

The sound now is terrific, in my opinion it is light years better then the VDS5 which i owned before these, and they were wonderful in their own right. This isn't a review so I wont go into detail about the same. This is more of a report that the earphones have held up very well, and have had their fair share of being thrown around and tugged, or wrapped up and put in my pocket for hours at a time, and the build quality has proven to match the sound quality.
L3000.gif

Jan 28, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #1,131 of 1,164
Hey guys, I'm trying to decide between the VSD5S and the Gr07 classic edition. If anyone could provide any insight between the two I'd greatly appreciate it. I've not been able to find any could comparisons. By the way, I'm looking for a more flat analytical sound.

Jan 28, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #1,132 of 1,164
Ended up getting the GR07 due to issues I read in the forum about various VSD5S's losing audio through either left/right channel. Also, saw that various people seemed to say the GR07 has a more of a "reference" sound. Hope I made the right choice.

Jan 28, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #1,133 of 1,164
Ended up getting the GR07 due to issues I read in the forum about various VSD5S's losing audio through either left/right channel. Also, saw that various people seemed to say the GR07 has a more of a "reference" sound. Hope I made the right choice.

It's hard to go wrong with the 07 Classic. It's so easy to enjoy it.

Jan 28, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #1,134 of 1,164
It's hard to go wrong with the 07 Classic. It's so easy to enjoy it.

Thanks for assurance, I noticed you mentioned trying the GR07 spin-tips on the VSD5. I assume you own both? If so, what's your opinion on the GR07 and VSD5 in terms of accuracy and imaging. These are the first "good" IEMs I've ever purchased. I mainly listen to headphones such as the Grado SR 80 Prestige series and Sony MDR-7506.

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #1,135 of 1,164
Thanks for assurance, I noticed you mentioned trying the GR07 spin-tips on the VSD5. I assume you own both? If so, what's your opinion on the GR07 and VSD5 in terms of accuracy and imaging. These are the first "good" IEMs I've ever purchased. I mainly listen to headphones such as the Grado SR 80 Prestige series and Sony MDR-7506.

Gr07 C is slightly diffuse in imaging, though it tends to be very wide and quite spacious. Some of that probably lies in the frequency response, where GR07 slightly emphasizes a frizzy point in the lower treble. VSD5 has a quite large soundstage, and is more uppertreble-focused. GR07C is more focused on the body of sounds, where VSD5 is a bit more spacious.

VSD5 for me is probably a bit too sharp up top, GR07 is more organic and full in the mids.

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #1,136 of 1,164
Would you say the GR07 have less sibilance? I listened to a friend's VSD5S and I noticed sibilance specifically on songs with vocals that make the S, Sh or Ch sound. In instrumental music it was negligible. They sounded quite decent with Progressive Rock/Metal and Math Rock. I actually really enjoy the sizzling treble that Grado's have. It's just weird that the VSD5S have those sibilant auditorial artifacts, but otherwise have a nice treble. I also noticed they have more of a flattened V response. I only listened to 3 or so songs so I wasn't able to form a concise opinion.

Jan 29, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #1,137 of 1,164
Would you say the GR07 have less sibilance? I listened to a friend's VSD5S and I noticed sibilance specifically on songs with vocals that make the S, Sh or Ch sound. In instrumental music it was negligible. They sounded quite decent with Progressive Rock/Metal and Math Rock. I actually really enjoy the sizzling treble that Grado's have. It's just weird that the VSD5S have those sibilant auditorial artifacts, but otherwise have a nice treble. I also noticed they have more of a flattened V response. I only listened to 3 or so songs so I wasn't able to form a concise opinion.

Overall I think I'd tolerate the Gr07 better for louder volumes.

The innerfidelity graphs are quite telling:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/VSonicVS05.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/VSonicGR07Classic.pdf

The original VSD5 which I own has a steady rise towards 9-10K, and it peaks quite above the upper midrange. GR07 has a stepped down treble in comparison, and opts for a 6K bump. The 6K bump can be sibilant, but overall the GR07 to my ears are not as V-shaped, and have better presence for metal guitar midrange, for example.

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #1,138 of 1,164
So I was looking for an cheap IEM after a long time of not looking at the price bracket, and I was really surprised to see the value you can get for iem these days. Specifically I got an VSD5S (new packaging) and it holds its own very well. The build quality, packaging and especially the sounds took me by surprised. The bass is a bit on the lean side (some more low bass would be better), the mid is quite neutral of sibilance free (there is some kind of dip in the high mid frequencies I think, which make even inferior recording sounds quite tolerable), and the treble is sparkling with details and manage to not sounds tiring in the process. Soundstage is expansive (for an iem that is). Overall incredible value for money.

Mar 12, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #1,139 of 1,164
I got my VSD5S a few days ago. I used to have a VSD5 which broke cus I sat on it :p
The build quality of the VSD5S is much improved from the VSD5, strain relief on the plug, both sides of the y split and the cables coming out from the housing have a small strain relief too! The packaging is excellent too!

Mar 12, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #1,140 of 1,164
I got my VSD5S a few days ago. I used to have a VSD5 which broke cus I sat on it
tongue.gif

The build quality of the VSD5S is much improved from the VSD5, strain relief on the plug, both sides of the y split and the cables coming out from the housing have a small strain relief too! The packaging is excellent too!

Couldn't agree more, i also got the 5S as a replacement for a broken 5, how do you find the sound? i found the 5s noticeably clearer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back