VSonic VSD5 Impressions Thread. VSonic's answer to Sony's EX1000???
Jan 8, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #151 of 1,164
Thanks! This is me trying to stay away form GR07 CE but he's always pulling me back 
deadhorse.gif

This is also mainly because of the report of sibilance with VSD5, and maybe worse sibilance than VSD3.

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #152 of 1,164
  Well, basically, I've adjusted to it with frequent use. Before I got the GR07s, in my own mixing and music production, I disliked too much energy in the 5-6K area. But now I'm fine with it, sometimes on some unrefined productions I will turn the volume down a notch, but very rarely. In those cases, looking as a spectral graph, will show that the track does infact generally have a lot of unrestrained treble dynamics, like live performances where the production is more raw and unrefined.

To me the GR07 makes sibilance mostly sound like someone ripping paper in half, it's energetic, but also textured. Whereas before I did get the "nails on a chalkboard" feeling when it came to that area, it was really uncomfortable. Also the GR07 are a weird combo of buzzing with energy when called for, but also not really sharp or uncomfortably resonant.

It's hard to describe, but after months of using them, I'm very comfortable with their signature. And once you are used to it, most other headphones sound very held back and dynamically restricted in the upper frequencies.

Ultimately it comes down to if you want things presented neatly/smoothly, or vividly and with contrast. If you really want your music smooth, not the best choice. If you want every ounce of the distorted guitar of a metal track to buzz and crackle with delicate, almsot brittle-sounding texture, they are wonderful.

That's a great assessment of the GR07. I'd agree with everything you said. 

Jan 8, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #153 of 1,164
Let me share some of my findings on VSD5, been lurking here for a while. Brief background of me, my I had a few vsonic iems in the past, started with GR02 Bass, GR07 Mk2, VSD1S. So yesterday I to drop by at the store(actually is a locker) had a chance to get my ears on VSD3, VSD3S & VSD5.

On VSD3, the bass is punchy & dominating, music is aggressive(fast decay) and drums is better here too, treble is smooth with a hint of sibilance, can't comment much on the mids as I noticed more on the lows and highs.

On the VSD3S, the sound is akin to VSD1S, not as aggressive, sounds more mellow, the mids are more pronounced, bass is still present and punchy yet not dominating, up on the highs, the treble is business as usual, but sounds more peaky and sibilance is more here that reminds me of VSD1S. Both iems have a 'fun' type of detail which is what vsonic is known for its midrange iems.

On the other hand, VSD5, while still retaining the 'fun' sound of VSD3/S, has a better detail & layering, improved bass, which is deep, solid & doesnt drag too, vocals are more pronounced and has a good body, highs are are smoother & the good thing is the sibilance is substantially lesser than VSD3/S. Speed wise, just a tad faster or the same VSD3S. Ultimately, I'm leaning towards VSD5 because mainly of the treble, detail & the layering'and the vocal quality which is substantial improvement from VSD3/S.

Hope my findings help you to decide on VSD5 because myself just got one too...
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 8, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #154 of 1,164
  Let me share some of my findings on VSD5, been lurking here for a while. Brief background of me, my I had a few vsonic iems in the past, started with GR02 Bass, GR07 Mk2, VSD1S. So yesterday I to drop by at the store(actually is a locker) had a chance to get my ears on VSD3, VSD3S & VSD5.

On VSD3, the bass is punchy & dominating, music is aggressive(fast decay) and drums is better here too, treble is smooth with a hint of sibilance, can't comment much on the mids as I noticed more on the lows and highs.

On the VSD3S, the sound is akin to VSD1S, not as aggressive, sounds more mellow, the mids are more pronounced, bass is still present and punchy yet not dominating, up on the highs, the treble is business as usual, but sounds more peaky and sibilance is more here that reminds me of VSD1S. Both iems have a 'fun' type of detail which is what vsonic is known for its midrange iems.

On the other hand, VSD5, while still retaining the 'fun' sound of VSD3/S, has a better detail & layering, improved bass, which is deep, solid & doesnt drag too, vocals are more pronounced and has a good body, highs are are smoother & the good thing is the sibilance is substantially lesser than VSD3/S. Speed wise, just a tad faster or the same VSD3S. Ultimately, I'm leaning towards VSD5 because mainly of the treble, detail & the layering'and the vocal quality which is substantial improvement from VSD3/S.

tongue_smile.gif

Thank you , just ordered mine from LMUE site, I love the VSD3 and VSD3s so we will see.

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #156 of 1,164

tongue_smile.gif

Any comparisons to GR07?

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #158 of 1,164

Agree with you. The quality of the bass and treble are great. I just wish quantity was a little less. The treble only gets harsh on wide bore tips I've tried. On stock tips the treble wasn't near what I'd consider sibilant.

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #163 of 1,164
Agree with you. The quality of the bass and treble are great. I just wish quantity was a little less. The treble only gets harsh on wide bore tips I've tried. On stock tips the treble wasn't near what I'd consider sibilant.

Yup, the highs are tame. The treble and the mids are the main reason I went for VSD5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back