VSonic VSD5 Impressions Thread. VSonic's answer to Sony's EX1000???
Jan 7, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #136 of 1,164
Hmm... I'm hoping burn in helps, for now, bass seems a bit untamed. It's bloaty and unrefined for now, some sibilance as per typical vsonic, a little worse than the vsd3. The mids are beautifully lush though.

Update: Bass seems to have tamed quite abit.. still bloated to my ears. For a short comparison to the B3 pro 1s: B3 has a wider soundstage, but the vsd5 has better presence. The notes have a very natural lush timbre and body to it. For now, I feel as long as the bass tames further, it's definitely a winner in my books.

Jan 7, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #137 of 1,164
I am jumping between making decisions - Vsonic VSD5, Ostry KC06 or GR07 classic.

ADVISE PLZ!

Jan 7, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #138 of 1,164
  I am jumping between making decisions - Vsonic VSD5, Ostry KC06 or GR07 classic.

ADVISE PLZ!

The gr07 is tried and true kinda very loved by nearly all with their nice bass. The ostry kc06 is good I just feel the gr07 is better iem. Though between the two the gr07 is a bit sibilant where the kc06 is bright but isn't sibilant to my ears. The vsd5 was just shipped for me so I don't have yet lol.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jan 7, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #139 of 1,164
The cable looks detachable but is indicated as non-detachable in the earlier part of this thread ???

Jan 7, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #141 of 1,164
It'll be interesting to see these new dual dynamics trying to out do the previous generations of dual dynamics. The b3s are great, the t1s were suppose to be good if it fit, and then there's the kef m200 going for the same price as the vsd5 and t2.

These are single dynamic.....

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #143 of 1,164
  Hmm... I'm hoping burn in helps, for now, bass seems a bit untamed. It's bloaty and unrefined for now, some sibilance as per typical vsonic, a little worse than the vsd3. The mids are beautifully lush though.

Update: Bass seems to have tamed quite abit.. still bloated to my ears. For a short comparison to the B3 pro 1s: B3 has a wider soundstage, but the vsd5 has better presence. The notes have a very natural lush timbre and body to it. For now, I feel as long as the bass tames further, it's definitely a winner in my books.

Totally agree with you! :D

Can I ask what tips are you using? The stock ones didn't work for me.

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #144 of 1,164
  Totally agree with you! :D

Can I ask what tips are you using? The stock ones didn't work for me.

Wow... I didn't even think of rolling tips yet. lol.. The stock ones worked well for me. Realized they were the normal vsonic narrow nozzle ones. I am trying the wide bore stock tips from my sunrise xcapes now. The bass is finally not bloated and perfect for my taste. Will start rolling other tips once I find some time this weekend most likely.

Edit: Short update on tips I've tried so far. The xcape tips helps the bass quite abit, but the highs were a little too harsh. Sony hybrids were very similar to the vsonic stocks. The stock tips from brainwavz S0 seem to do it for me although they are the hardest for me to get a proper seal. Will need more time to A/B. Will prob try some complys too.

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #146 of 1,164
As were mine. Really looking forward to hearing these. I guess they perhaps won't rival the GR07 in pure performance but if they manage to take their general sound in a slightly different direction, and it being competent enough, it could be very interesting.

Jan 7, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #147 of 1,164
Can't VSONIC avoid sibilance for once? That's the worst I think. It changes too much the perception and enjoyment of sound.

All that people are saying about this feels nice to me. For instance, i like the more presence of the mids than VSD3S. But sibilance puts me away...

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #148 of 1,164
For people who have these how are these compared to the vsd3s?I really like that the 3s are detachable. How much of an improvement are these over the 3s and if they are worth the extra money.

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #150 of 1,164
Well, basically, I've adjusted to it with frequent use. Before I got the GR07s, in my own mixing and music production, I disliked too much energy in the 5-6K area. But now I'm fine with it, sometimes on some unrefined productions I will turn the volume down a notch, but very rarely. In those cases, looking as a spectral graph, will show that the track does infact generally have a lot of unrestrained treble dynamics, like live performances where the production is more raw and unrefined.

To me the GR07 makes sibilance mostly sound like someone ripping paper in half, it's energetic, but also textured. Whereas before I did get the "nails on a chalkboard" feeling when it came to that area, it was really uncomfortable. Also the GR07 are a weird combo of buzzing with energy when called for, but also not really sharp or uncomfortably resonant.

It's hard to describe, but after months of using them, I'm very comfortable with their signature. And once you are used to it, most other headphones sound very held back and dynamically restricted in the upper frequencies.

Ultimately it comes down to if you want things presented neatly/smoothly, or vividly and with contrast. If you really want your music smooth, not the best choice. If you want every ounce of the distorted guitar of a metal track to buzz and crackle with delicate, almsot brittle-sounding texture, they are wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back