Vsonic VSD2 / VSD2S and AN16 Impressions Thread
May 2, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #151 of 204
Heard about Head-Fi from another site, and thought I would join as I just received my VSD2 & AN16s.

My initial thoughts are that I prefer the sound from the AN16 earphones. I'm fairly sensitive to high-frequencies, and the VSD2 are just a bit too bright for my liking. Vocals do tend to stand out more on the VSD2, but I'd probably have to tone down the high-end a bit if I were to keep listening to them for a long time. 

As for the AN16's, I really like their sound signature, although it would be nice if vocals stood out just a little more (not quite as much as the VSD2 though). 

Either way, I'm definitely not complaining for $50! These definitely sound awesome for the price, and I may end up hanging onto both of them in case one dies on me.

May 2, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #153 of 204
Anyone figure out which comply tips are best on the AN16?
Thanks

You can read through this thread as I believe the AN16 has the same nozzle size as the GR07. There seems to be conflicting reports though. Most seem to say that 200 is too loose, and 100 is tight but can be stretched. There is also people using 400s but I believe they used the plastic core of the foam tips that came with the IEMs to increase the size of the nozzle first.

May 3, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #156 of 204
The AN16 does have the same nozzle that the GR06 and GR07 did. Comply tips don't fit them natively. Clee290 is right, though. If you have access to a pair of the original gray foam tips included with an old pair of 06/07s, they had a hard core which could be removed and used to make these headphones more compatible with what comply calls 400 sized tips. It's still not a perfect solution, the comply tips will still sometimes pop off in your ears, and you'll live in mortal fear of losing those cores, since they're pretty much impossible to replace without buying the headphones they came with. I know using the shure christmas trees on the 07 made them somehow all bass, annihilating the high end. I fear using the 100 complies (same sized tip) would do the same.
You can buy vsonics foam tips on ebay. I think they are a bit different from what came with these sets. Honestly, it may be a quality control issue. Some a more squishy, some feel more like an eraser. But they are made to fit.

May 3, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #157 of 204
The AN16 does have the same nozzle that the GR06 and GR07 did. Comply tips don't fit them natively. Clee290 is right, though. If you have access to a pair of the original gray foam tips included with an old pair of 06/07s, they had a hard core which could be removed and used to make these headphones more compatible with what comply calls 400 sized tips. It's still not a perfect solution, the comply tips will still sometimes pop off in your ears, and you'll live in mortal fear of losing those cores, since they're pretty much impossible to replace without buying the headphones they came with. I know using the shure christmas trees on the 07 made them somehow all bass, annihilating the high end. I fear using the 100 complies (same sized tip) would do the same.
You can buy vsonics foam tips on ebay. I think they are a bit different from what came with these sets. Honestly, it may be a quality control issue. Some a more squishy, some feel more like an eraser. But they are made to fit.

Penon audio has a set for 8.50, and clam compatibility with many sonics (see the link for the list)
http://penonaudio.com/VSONIC-Foam-Eartips
Comply list the 400 as compatible with the gr02, with is in the list, so if a=b and b=c, then theoretically, the 400 series should work. But, you point out the 400 series doesn't work. I think I have some 400s at home to try, but at a conference for a week.

I spent a leg time on a plane today using both the AN16 and the sennheiser IE80. Guess which where more comfortable and sounded better? Of course the IE80s did, but the AN16s certainly gave the, a run for the money. I probably won't keep the AN 16s unless I can get comply comfort tips working, so we'll see.

My guess is that the AN16s are now a collectors item that will be worth millions one day!

May 3, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #158 of 204
Penon audio has a set for 8.50, and clam compatibility with many sonics (see the link for the list)
http://penonaudio.com/VSONIC-Foam-Eartips
Comply list the 400 as compatible with the gr02, with is in the list, so if a=b and b=c, then theoretically, the 400 series should work. But, you point out the 400 series doesn't work. I think I have some 400s at home to try, but at a conference for a week.

I spent a leg time on a plane today using both the AN16 and the sennheiser IE80. Guess which where more comfortable and sounded better? Of course the IE80s did, but the AN16s certainly gave the, a run for the money. I probably won't keep the AN 16s unless I can get comply comfort tips working, so we'll see.

My guess is that the AN16s are now a collectors item that will be worth millions one day!

I hate giving people incorrect information, so I looked back into this as much as I could. This is what I found.

The Penon audio set are the same VSonic foamies I bought off ebay. They're very similar to the ones that are included in newer headphones, not the old gray foamie with the hard, semi-reusable core. Just going off of a few specifications, the AN16/GR06/07 have a 3.5mm nozzle. That's 1 mm bigger than my MG7 (the reason I had a Shure christmas tree and Shure olives), which I could also use on my Klipsch S4 and X10 (which are apparently 3mm). The GR02 has a 5.5mm nozzle. That's the same as the MEElec M9, and about 80% of the headphones on the market, it seems. I can assure from first hand knowledge that to get those VSonic foam tips from Penon (assuming that are what I got from ebay) on a 5.5mm tip, you have to stretch the crap out of them. I did this a couple of times. The core is also kind of rubbery and degrades with normal wear even on a GR06/7. They cannot be used to make a T400 fit(at least, not long term). 

It has been a long time since I bought any comply T100 tips. I thought they were inferior to the Shure Olives, so I've never tried those in this situation. It seems that after doing some reading, several people have had a lot of success with the Comply Whoomp (T140). It was made especially for the Apple In-Ear and essentially has Apple branding. As such, Comply probably couldn't say that it fits any other headphones (assuming it does).

I just gave my AN16s one last try with my last fresh pair of S400s I have, turned upside down, and they do sorta work. The right one pops off in my ear every time I try to take them out, and it seems overall to lessen their bass output. 

Personally, I've have the best luck with the official Sony Hybrid tips with GR06/AN16 model. I think they sound better and are more comfortable, but maybe this will give you a few options to try.

May 3, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #159 of 204

Personally, I've have the best luck with the official Sony Hybrid tips with GR06/AN16 model. I think they sound better and are more comfortable, but maybe this will give you a few options to try.

Interesting. I tried my Sony hybrid tips, and they seem to just fall right off the AN16's.

I have the JVC spiral dots, and they also just fall off. Maybe it's time to get some olives.

May 3, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #160 of 204
Interesting. I tried my Sony hybrid tips, and they seem to just fall right off the AN16's.

I have the JVC spiral dots, and they also just fall off. Maybe it's time to get some olives.

Your Hybrids are real Sony brand, then they must be stretched. VSonic more or less copied those for their own colored tips, so they should fit perfectly.
The Olives are tricky because the core is hard, making it difficult to stretch. Some people 'de-cored' them, but I couldn't get them to stay on that way.

May 3, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #162 of 204
Okay, I need to leave this thread alone, but, just for the hell of it, I tried the Olive tips on the AN16. I could've sworn I tried those way back when I first got my GR07 and they didn't fit, but they do fit the AN16 pretty well. I am still finding the same issue I had with the Shure Christmas trees, though, with it ramping up the bass output and making everything else kinda muddy. 

Like koreanzombie I also use the green tipped Sony Hybrids, but color shouldn't matter there. I use a blue on the GR07 because the casing just makes it fit me differently.

May 3, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #163 of 204
Yeah, Shure Olives/Black Foam's inner diameter are too small for the likes of the GR07/06/etc. They're even too tight for my HF5; I had to loosen them up by plugging them on a 3.5mm plug. You can probably fit them on wider nozzles if you shave off the core or take off the core completely (never tried it as that might be too loose for some earphones).

May 5, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #164 of 204
Hey guys, I would like to share with you AN16 owes some modification experiences. Unlike the GR07s, the stock AN16s have the front and rear vents blocked, which may cause the driver not being able to move freely. I find my stock AN16 to be a little bit muffled sounding, so I went on some mod exploration. As measured by Rin(http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/10/vsonic-gr07-mkii.html), the 2 vents have different effects on the bass response on the GR07s. Because of the similar housing design, we expect similar effects on the AN16s. Based on my own experience with my AN16, opening the front vent decreases the amount of bass and lower mids, making the overall signature brighter. On the contrary, opening the back vent increases the bass quantity. Initially I only opened the front vent, and I found the sound sig. too bright. So I opened the back vents as well. By carefully adjust the size of the 2 vents, I finally got the right amount of bass that I want. Because of the rather long time span the whole process took, it is hard for me to make a comparison between the modified pair and the stock pair besides the different amount of bass. I feel the mids is a touch clearers than before, but I am not sure. The highs are not affected or improved. Anyway, I am happy with the end result. In a word, opening and adjusting the front and back vent allows you to adjust the bass quantity, with some sacrifice of noise isolation. 

May 5, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #165 of 204
  Hey guys, I would like to share with you AN16 owes some modification experiences. Unlike the GR07s, the stock AN16s have the front and rear vents blocked, which may cause the driver not being able to move freely. I find my stock AN16 to be a little bit muffled sounding, so I went on some mod exploration. As measured by Rin(http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/10/vsonic-gr07-mkii.html), the 2 vents have different effects on the bass response on the GR07s. Because of the similar housing design, we expect similar effects on the AN16s. Based on my own experience with my AN16, opening the front vent decreases the amount of bass and lower mids, making the overall signature brighter. On the contrary, opening the back vent increases the bass quantity. Initially I only opened the front vent, and I found the sound sig. too bright. So I opened the back vents as well. By carefully adjust the size of the 2 vents, I finally got the right amount of bass that I want. Because of the rather long time span the whole process took, it is hard for me to make a comparison between the modified pair and the stock pair besides the different amount of bass. I feel the mids is a touch clearers than before, but I am not sure. The highs are not affected or improved. Anyway, I am happy with the end result. In a word, opening and adjusting the front and back vent allows you to adjust the bass quantity, with some sacrifice of noise isolation. 

Can you post some pic via other link ..me know you cant post pic as your low post count in Headfi - new account

Thanks ..be interested to see 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back