Vsonic VSD2 / VSD2S and AN16 Impressions Thread
Apr 26, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #122 of 204
  Btw did anyone else notice the VSD2S's package says "Bass enhanced"? It's a bit strange because out of VSD3 and VSD3S, only the VSD3's package said this, the S was supposed to be less V-shaped with normal bass. I heard that would be the philosophy with VSD2 and VSD2S too though, so I'm not sure if it's intentional or just a mistake.

Another interesting thing: the AN16's included specs are pretty much identical to a GR06 variant's specification (except of the higher impedance on the AN16), which I also found quite interesting as it has the GR07 drivers and the housing shouldn't matter that much in specs IMHO. Maybe as a limited anniversary product, they just just didn't bother measuring it and thought they can't be worse than the GR06 so they just gave those specs? Just my theory :)

The VSD3S package is exactly same as VSD3 (they used same box) but just a small sticker that reads 3S in red stuck on the top left corner of front of the box......

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #124 of 204
  I think they updated the newer boxes to actually read VSD3s.

Yeah possible,coz mine was from very first pre-order batch....but I still believe the newer 3S boxes read "bass enhanced " just like VSD3 box.....I think all the boxes that has "00028" reads so,but AN16 is an exception. :p

so @scorpeeon it's no strange that VSD2S too has the slogan "bass enhanced" :wink:....

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #125 of 204
  Btw did anyone else notice the VSD2S's package says "Bass enhanced"? It's a bit strange because out of VSD3 and VSD3S, only the VSD3's package said this, the S was supposed to be less V-shaped with normal bass. I heard that would be the philosophy with VSD2 and VSD2S too though, so I'm not sure if it's intentional or just a mistake.

Another interesting thing: the AN16's included specs are pretty much identical to a GR06 variant's specification (except of the higher impedance on the AN16), which I also found quite interesting as it has the GR07 drivers and the housing shouldn't matter that much in specs IMHO. Maybe as a limited anniversary product, they just just didn't bother measuring it and thought they can't be worse than the GR06 so they just gave those specs? Just my theory :)

V shaped has always implied enhanced bass.  Yes, the "S" series generally is less enhanced in the bass, but folks generally agree it is still "v" shaped.  So the conundrum is that you might not be able to ever say "v" shaped has normal bass, however one may define that.

As we all know, there is nothing normal when it comes to describing bass individually, we all like what we like and can describe it in many ways.  As for specs, best to just ignore them and use your ears, who knows what the manufacturer intention is there.  Specs tell us very little about how it may ultimately sound and the exact model of driver used, they can be indentical yet sound way different.  Just MHO 
wink.gif

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #126 of 204
  Yeah possible,coz mine was from very first pre-order batch....but I still believe the newer 3S boxes read "bass enhanced " just like VSD3 box.....I think all the boxes that has "00028" reads so,but AN16 is an exception. :p

so @scorpeeon it's no strange that VSD2S too has the slogan "bass enhanced" :wink:....

Well, my VSD3 + VSD3S were from mp4nation (with 00101 written on them) and the VSD3S box doesn't say "bass enchanced" on it. But yeah I heard about early variants only having a sticker to distinguish them, but I assumed all later variants that had normal VSD3S written on the box had that removed (like the ones from mp4nation), VSD2S is also normally written on it's box, it's not just a sticker, so I don't really get why they didn't remove that. Maybe it has less bass but it's still pretty bassy? :)

bixby: I think you misunderstood what I wrote, I meant less V-shaped hence it has normal (or at least less excessive) bass. Yeah, V-shaped earphones tend to have emphasized bass.
I pretty much prefer neutral/balanced sound btw, one of the reasons why I prefer the S versions from these Vsonic (also why I bought recently a HD 600 :) ).

Apr 26, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #127 of 204
yes, I too have an "S" version of the VSD1.  It is hard to determine how folks classify bass since most widely regarded neutral iems like the Etys or earlier Branwavz along with some neutral ba models sounded a bit too anemic in the bass for me.  I am more of a slightly enhanced bass guy myself and have been moving more toward a slightly more forward "presence region" (3k) in the mids.  

It is intersting to read about all the popular under $100 iems and see the charts with 10 or more db bass levels vs 1k levels.  I can see the appeal to big bass but many are way overdone for my ears.  I just placed an order for the RHA MA750s.  Very slight bass lift, only slightly scooped mids.  My only concern is that persence bump rides up to about 6k before it falls and that may be combine with my ear canal to give a pronounced peak between 6-7k.  I tamed a slight peak there with the vsonics and eq and could probably do the same with the RHAs.

cheers

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #128 of 204
  Well, my VSD3 + VSD3S were from mp4nation (with 00101 written on them) and the VSD3S box doesn't say "bass enchanced" on it. But yeah I heard about early variants only having a sticker to distinguish them, but I assumed all later variants that had normal VSD3S written on the box had that removed (like the ones from mp4nation), VSD2S is also normally written on it's box, it's not just a sticker, so I don't really get why they didn't remove that. Maybe it has less bass but it's still pretty bassy? :)

That's pretty confusing with those #s, the batch MP4N were supplied and from what lmue sent us most.....about the box, It's simple, that Vsonic just changed the model #s (like VSD3,3S,5,2,2S,AN16) on those front paper inserts,rest of the box sides,any angles, are one and the same for all these models,incl AN16 (but no "bass enhanced " on the AN16 insert) and they added a small leaflet to display the tech specs to it's respective models,viola.....

Anyway it's not new about Vsonic naming convention (model) so no surprises here too..... :wink: End of the day, if it sounds good, who cares rest?..... :wink:

Apr 27, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #132 of 204
Is the VSD2S really much louder than AN16 or is it just with my earphones? VSD2S at about 70% is as loud as AN16 at 100%.

Hi. I'm not sure it's a sensible move comparing these two. They're totally different sound signatures / drivers / casing. I mean they just happened to be bundled together because that's how Vsonic choose to give out anniversary edition headphones

Apr 27, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #133 of 204
  Is the VSD2S really much louder than AN16 or is it just with my earphones? VSD2S at about 70% is as loud as AN16 at 100%.

I wouldn't say the VSD2S (or VSD2 in my case) is much louder than AN16, but it is more sensitive than AN16 to me. I can hear slight hiss with the VSD2 when i plug it into my geek pulse fi at mid gain but non with AN16. Hope that helps.

Apr 27, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #134 of 204
Hi. I'm not sure it's a sensible move comparing these two. They're totally different sound signatures / drivers / casing. I mean they just happened to be bundled together because that's how Vsonic choose to give out anniversary edition headphones

Well for one, it's fair to compare any 2 earphones, IMO.

Secondly, i'm not even comparing the earphones 1:1, I was just doing some back-to-back testing. Same source, same file, same volume, I just switched earphones and was alarmed at how much louder the VSD2S were.

Apr 27, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #135 of 204
  I wouldn't say the VSD2S (or VSD2 in my case) is much louder than AN16, but it is more sensitive than AN16 to me. I can hear slight hiss with the VSD2 when i plug it into my geek pulse fi at mid gain but non with AN16. Hope that helps.

Yeah, other people and I noticed that too. It seems like the VSD2S has a peak exactly at the frequency that common source noise has.

Btw, EQing down the 5,6 and 8kHz range really helps the VSD2S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back