VSonic VSD1/VSD1S Reviews/Impression Thread
Sep 22, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #844 of 2,003
  Could someone help me make a comparison between Vsonic VSD1 and Brainwavz M4 please? I listen to all genres of music (but mostly jazz, vocal and pop @@). Thank you!

Well, it's been quite some time since I heard the M4 but it was more in line with gr02be. More V-shaped and colder sounding leading to a bit better perceived clarity and softer on the bass impact. VSD1/S are both better IMO - more balanced and natural sounding with better bass punch

Can anyone post a comparison of these guys with the RE400s?

You should ask joker - he has them. I still haven't heard re400 but going with the reviews it should be better overall. Of course it costs more than double, so I think a fair comparison will be re400 compared to gr07, especially at its current price as it's being discontinued. There's also the gr07 classic, which should be released very soon and should be around 100 bucks.

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #847 of 2,003
Hello guys, would you recommend a pair of VSD1 over MEElec M6s to listen post-rock ? I'm also considering a pair of Ety Kids, as they seem to be suitable for adults too... Here in France they all cost the same and i'm not sure what i should buy... Also, which one has the best isolation ?

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #848 of 2,003
  Hello guys, would you recommend a pair of VSD1 over MEElec M6s to listen post-rock ? I'm also considering a pair of Ety Kids, as they seem to be suitable for adults too... Here in France they all cost the same and i'm not sure what i should buy... Also, which one has the best isolation ?

Yeah, VSD1 and VSD1S are quite superior to meelec m6 and great for rock and metal. I haven't heard the Ety Kids but I guess they will be totally suitable for an adult but with that 300ohm impedance you'll need quite the source to power them properly unless you don't mind listening to really low volume as I bet they'll be pretty quiet out of smartphones and small DAPs. I think that isolation-wise it is pretty unfair as all ety iems have gtreat isolation and VSD1/S is pretty average at best. With that said for rock and metal I'll pick the VSD1S over my ety any day of the week as it's pretty forgiving to bad recordings and most rock and metal music has pretty sub-par mastering.

Sep 29, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #849 of 2,003

Yeah, VSD1 and VSD1S are quite superior to meelec m6 and great for rock and metal. I haven't heard the Ety Kids but I guess they will be totally suitable for an adult but with that 300ohm impedance you'll need quite the source to power them properly unless you don't mind listening to really low volume as I bet they'll be pretty quiet out of smartphones and small DAPs. I think that isolation-wise it is pretty unfair as all ety iems have gtreat isolation and VSD1/S is pretty average at best. With that said for rock and metal I'll pick the VSD1S over my ety any day of the week as it's pretty forgiving to bad recordings and most rock and metal music has pretty sub-par mastering.

Seems sweet ! Well I placed my order on mp4nation, thanks !

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #851 of 2,003
Hey guys have anyone tried both VC02 and VSD1 ? Which one would be a better choice ?

Listen to - Gotye, Muse, Anberlin, David Guetta, Army of Me, Beirut, Blink-182, Bon Iver, Breath carolina, Imagine dragons, Lady Antebellum, Sara Bareilles, Scanners, OneRepublic, Calvin Harris, Lindsey Sterling etc (lol long list 
tongue.gif

I have Joker's opinion but would like to have more

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #852 of 2,003
  Hey guys have anyone tried both VC02 and VSD1 ? Which one would be a better choice ?

Listen to - Gotye, Muse, Anberlin, David Guetta, Army of Me, Beirut, Blink-182, Bon Iver, Breath carolina, Imagine dragons, Lady Antebellum, Sara Bareilles, Scanners, OneRepublic, Calvin Harris, Lindsey Sterling etc (lol long list 
tongue.gif

I have Joker's opinion but would like to have more

Well, I personally prefer VSD1/S as I've already said many times, so I would suggest getting VSD1S.

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #853 of 2,003
  Well, I personally prefer VSD1/S as I've already said many times, so I would suggest getting VSD1S.

Any cons over VC02 ?

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #854 of 2,003
  Any cons over VC02 ?

Nothing I can think of right now aside from the isolation. I might give the vc02 a quick listen now to remember them better but going by memory vs02 has a bit better clarity but was also a bit grainy and peaky in the treble. 

Sep 30, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #855 of 2,003
Yeah, just compared them quickly coz honestly I'm not listening to vc02 at all. So nothing too detailed - just quick comparison based on few soings.
As I already said due to its form factor the Vc02 has the better isolation but needs deeper insertion to sound its best which leads to the first issue - the detachable cable. While I personally am very careful when taking the vc02 out of my ears I have to admit that I always worry that the cables will detach and the housings will remain in my ears, which is something that some users have experienced.(Actually scratch that, coz it did just happen while I was going quickly between the VSD1S and the VC02). As far as sound, it didn't take me much to remember why initially I wasn't very impressed with the vc02 even before VSD1/S came out in comparison the the gr04 flagship. The vc02 is relatively hard to drive despite its low impedance. In that regard I think it sounds better amped but then comes the second issue - power handling. While VSD1/S can take a huge amount of power without even sweating, so you can push it really really loud even with bass boost on, the vc02 will start to distort and even more if you use bass boost. That's not a major issue per se if you don't like to listen to music at higher volume but I do occasionally like it louder and it's hard not to notice.
 Vc02 has a pretty good bass - flat, tight and punchy even though not much in quantity. In comparison VSD1S has more bass with more of a mid-bass punch and is a touch slower while VSD1S is better in that regard with flatter bass and harder impact, which easily beats the vc02's bass IMO even though slightly lacking in texture compared to it. The mids of VC02 and VSD1/S are very good with VSD1/S's being a touch laid back and slightly warmer and fuller in comparison to the more balanced vc02 . Detail is pretty good on both with the vc02 having a bit better clarity due to its more neutral presentation but the slightly warmer VSD1/S has better timbre and for me sounds more effortless overall with better layering. Treble-wise the VSD1S is the clear winner for me by a margin. Even the VSD1, which is slightly drier in that region and slightly more prone to sibilance is something I would pick any day over the vc02, which is dry, grainy and a bit peacky and has a strange dip in the lower treble, which makes female vocals sound really artificial to me.
So as I've said many times, the vc02 is a pretty decent iem but I've never really liked it that much. For me VSD1S is the clear winner overall.

edit: Now when I think about it, it didn't turn out as quick, short and not very detailed as I originally intended. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back