VSonic VSD1/VSD1S Reviews/Impression Thread
Aug 13, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #766 of 2,003
New member, member first post but have been to this site as a guest researching earphones, reading many super helpful posts. Based on what I read, I recently got the Vsonic VC02 and the VSD1. I started with the G99's to see how I felt about the overall sound signature of Vsonic. Of course I realized it varies between models, but I had to jump in somewhere.

I will have more to say about them but I have a quick question about the VSD1.

I have never had phones of the VSD1 design with the, for lack of a better term, the molded part to fit the outside of the ear. I have been trying various positions with mixed results. I've tried both sides, wire over the ear from at least the front.

I did a google search but not sure what to call them, or how to phrase a good search term, I did not get much helpful hits.

This is about my 6th set of earphones so I know the basics of getting a good seal, wire over the ear or not, things like that. 

I realize that in the end it's what is most comfortable and sounds best to the user. But is there an orientation that is considered the 'right' way to wear them? Which side is right/left? Direction the wire 'should' point?

Aug 13, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #767 of 2,003
Quote:
New member, member first post but have been to this site as a guest researching earphones, reading many super helpful posts. Based on what I read, I recently got the Vsonic VC02 and the VSD1. I started with the G99's to see how I felt about the overall sound signature of Vsonic. Of course I realized it varies between models, but I had to jump in somewhere.

I will have more to say about them but I have a quick question about the VSD1.

I have never had phones of the VSD1 design with the, for lack of a better term, the molded part to fit the outside of the ear. I have been trying various positions with mixed results. I've tried both sides, wire over the ear from at least the front.

I did a google search but not sure what to call them, or how to phrase a good search term, I did not get much helpful hits.

This is about my 6th set of earphones so I know the basics of getting a good seal, wire over the ear or not, things like that. 

I realize that in the end it's what is most comfortable and sounds best to the user. But is there an orientation that is considered the 'right' way to wear them? Which side is right/left? Direction the wire 'should' point?

The VSD1 is supposed to be worn cable down (the wire pointing down
rolleyes.gif
). The right side is the one on which is the VSD1 logo - the left housing is blank. There's a picture in the first post of this thread. If you wear it with the cable over-the-ear you'll have to swap the left and right earpieces. As far as the fit issues - try adjusting the moving nozzles till you get a good fit and seal.

Aug 13, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #768 of 2,003
I agree with Nulliverse on his comparison of the VSD1 against the Brainwaz R1 and audio technica ckm500. In my opinion the R1 are just below the VSD1 in all possible measurements. I used them only for a few hours though, but I wouldn’t even pay 20$ for those. On the other hand, the ckm500 are already much better than the R1 in sound and ergonomics, but still can’t compete with the class of the VSD1.

It's simply awesome what VSonic has done for such a low price. Im really waiting to see what hifiman will do about it (if anything at all, they might not be interested in going so down in price).

@Sfoctl, I really don’t get your criticism against the VSD1. These IEMs can compete with others many times more expensive, only the mids can hold some criticism. The foam ear tips are quite poor too but that is about it!

This remembers me of some members in this thread complaining about the sibilance of the VSD1. Seriously? I rubbed my own shirt against the cable on purpose and I couldn’t hear any sibilance at all! The VSD1 must be the IEMs less prone to sibilance of the more than 30 IEMs I have tried in the past year or two…

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #769 of 2,003
Quote:
The VSD1 is supposed to be worn cable down (the wire pointing down
rolleyes.gif
). The right side is the one on which is the VSD1 logo - the left housing is blank. There's a picture in the first post of this thread. If you wear it with the cable over-the-ear you'll have to swap the left and right earpieces. As far as the fit issues - try adjusting the moving nozzles till you get a good fit and seal.

Thanks that gives me a good starting point and I had found some luck with that position of the wire (in the wire down photo).

The nozzles move? I had no idea. I'm glad to hear that since I have been having fit issues.

I took the tip off and see what looks like the articulating point. But it took more force than I was willing to use to move it without some input on what not to do, etc. 

Anything to consider before getting out the vice-grips (J/K) to move the nozzles?

I've seen lots of your posts. Impressive body of knowledge you share on this forum.

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #770 of 2,003
It's not that the R1 is that bad - it's decent for its price but with all the bang for buck iems that were released lately I guess people are expecting all iems to be either great bang for buck performers or to be way cheaper than most manufacturers would go with the price.
As far as the sibilance - the VSD1 is very slightly prone to pointing out sibilance but I'm not very sensitive to it, so I pay attention to it only in recordings, which really have it bad. @ Ruru Seems that you're confusing microphonics with sibilance.

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #771 of 2,003
Quote:
Thanks that gives me a good starting point and I had found some luck with that position of the wire (in the wire down photo).

The nozzles move? I had no idea. I'm glad to hear that since I have been having fit issues.

I took the tip off and see what looks like the articulating point. But it took more force than I was willing to use to move it without some input on what not to do, etc. 

Anything to consider before getting out the vice-grips (J/K) to move the nozzles?

I've seen lots of your posts. Impressive body of knowledge you share on this forum.

Yeah, they move. It seems that on some of the VSD1s the nozzles take a little bit more force to move as it was already mentioned by another user that he used pliers to move them. My VSD1S's nozzles were stiffer but I just applied more force with my thumb and they moved. Probably at vsonic they did something about that coz with some of their previous models with articulate nozzles some people complained about the nozzles moving way to easy to remain at one position. The gr04, 06 and 07's nozzles were definitely easier to move.

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #772 of 2,003
I didn't need pliers, just a belief that they would move if I pushed harder. I can move them now.

I have to play with them now because the body seems to be keeping them from going deep enough in my ears for good bass, but I've only tried two sets of tips so far.

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #774 of 2,003
Quote:

They're supposed to be worn cable-down with the phone with the writing on the right. However, I've found the best fit for me is to reverse the channels (the side with the writing will be on the left), and wear them over-ear.

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #775 of 2,003
Quote:
I agree with Nulliverse on his comparison of the VSD1 against the Brainwaz R1 and audio technica ckm500. In my opinion the R1 are just below the VSD1 in all possible measurements. I used them only for a few hours though, but I wouldn’t even pay 20$ for those. On the other hand, the ckm500 are already much better than the R1 in sound and ergonomics, but still can’t compete with the class of the VSD1.

It's simply awesome what VSonic has done for such a low price. Im really waiting to see what hifiman will do about it (if anything at all, they might not be interested in going so down in price).

@Sfoctl, I really don’t get your criticism against the VSD1. These IEMs can compete with others many times more expensive, only the mids can hold some criticism. The foam ear tips are quite poor too but that is about it!

This remembers me of some members in this thread complaining about the sibilance of the VSD1. Seriously? I rubbed my own shirt against the cable on purpose and I couldn’t hear any sibilance at all! The VSD1 must be the IEMs less prone to sibilance of the more than 30 IEMs I have tried in the past year or two…

LMAO, i rubbed my shirt and i cant hear any sibilance either!

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #776 of 2,003
Just purchased VSD1 from Lendmeurears. Fingers crossed for it to reach quickly with no problems! =D Anyone from the UK know how we could track the package as it reaches the UK?

Aug 14, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #778 of 2,003
Quote:
Yeah, they move. It seems that on some of the VSD1s the nozzles take a little bit more force to move as it was already mentioned by another user that he used pliers to move them. My VSD1S's nozzles were stiffer but I just applied more force with my thumb and they moved. Probably at vsonic they did something about that coz with some of their previous models with articulate nozzles some people complained about the nozzles moving way to easy to remain at one position. The gr04, 06 and 07's nozzles were definitely easier to move.

Hello kova4a, tell me please, sound quality vsd1 is not worse than the gr06, vsd1 more bassed then gr06?

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #779 of 2,003
You are very funny guys and made me laugh out loud too! Yeah, I was referring to microphonics! Damn me!

@WilsonX, if your pants are made of reddish fabric, I bet your IEMs will get more bassy!
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #780 of 2,003
Hi thanks for the comparison nullivers but just another question you said that the vsd1 is better then the ckm500 in every aspects does it mean the bass too but I don't think the vsd1 have more bass then the ckm500 rather it is more accurate am I correct? And does the vsd1 pair well with the sansa clip+?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back