VSonic VSD1/VSD1S Reviews/Impression Thread
Jun 25, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #421 of 2,003
I suppose they are slightly warm. I think I feel that the clip zip is neutral because it seems like it when compared to the ELE DAC lol (got the ol' Hifimediy sabre dac on the way - excited to try it!).

At any rate, it's slight warmth is probably why I like it's synergy with the C&C BH so much (the BH brightens things up somewhat).

Do you meant that there is not need to channel swap because they are intended to be worn over ears? Or do you simply mean that it's not a big deal to have the channels swapped the wrong way? Because if it's the latter, I thought the same thing. But then Kova4 got into my head, and it really started bugging me that the channels were not the way as intended and I started noticing it. Bad Kova4 lol!

Yes Wayne, I didn't switch channel. Left to left, right to right but you have to play around a bit to get the hang of inserting it. I literally practice it in front of a mirror to get it right. But do keep in mind that you and I might have different ear shape and angle of insertion might varies. For me it's the preferred wearing method and I didn't notice any difference in sound. It helps to hold the seal better and reduces microphonics to a very large degree but YMMV.

Also, I saw you mentioned that 64GB card can be used on your rock boxed clip. May I know if it will work with the clip zip w/o rock boxed.

Thanks in advance.

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #422 of 2,003
Quote:
Yes Wayne, I didn't switch channel. Left to left, right to right but you have to play around a bit to get the hang of inserting it. I literally practice it in front of a mirror to get it right. But do keep in mind that you and I might have different ear shape and angle of insertion might varies. For me it's the preferred wearing method and I didn't notice any difference in sound. It helps to hold the seal better and reduces microphonics to a very large degree but YMMV.

Got it. With the VSD1's, to where them over ears, you pretty much have to switch drivers/ears (I think).
Edit: I didn't realize we were in the VSD1 thread lol, so I see that you are speaking about the VSD1's above! I will try to  wear them up but in the same ears. Interesting!

Quote:
Also, I saw you mentioned that 64GB card can be used on your rock boxed clip. May I know if it will work with the clip zip w/o rock boxed.

I am pretty sure that rockboxing would be necessary. I am trying to boot it up now though in OF (original firmware = clip zip mode)m and it is stopped at "refreshing your media". I know for a fact that this goes on for a long time even with a 32G card after making changes to the files on the card, and that makes it practically unusable to me for that reason alone. With the 64G card, I'm not sure if the process ever ends (it's been going for 5 minutes now - I'll keep you posted!).
Edit: it's been 20 minutes and still going. Experiment aborted. Rockbox all the way baby!

However when you boot up in rockbox mode after making changes to the files on the card, there is NO waiting, and the database is refreshed in background mode so you don't even notice it. Combine that with channel swapping ability etc, and I'm a rockbox fan :)

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #423 of 2,003
Hi waynes, sorry that you got the wrong idea since it's the VSD thread and I was referring to the FXT90 and not the VSD1. Sorry guys if I have gone off thread.

Also, thanks waynes for the experiment to test out the SD card and looks forward to your feedbacks. Might try to rock boxed my Zip thou.

Jun 25, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #424 of 2,003
Quote:
Hi waynes, sorry that you got the wrong idea since it's the VSD thread and I was referring to the FXT90 and not the VSD1. Sorry guys if I have gone off thread.

Right - you were talking about the FXT90's lol! I am no longer confused and it's all good lol.

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #425 of 2,003
is there some kind of plug/adaptar to reverse the left and right channels? 

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #426 of 2,003
is there some kind of plug/adaptar to reverse the left and right channels? 

Not to my knowledge.

However you can swap channels if you're running Rockbox (compatibility is source dependent).

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #427 of 2,003
i know saw it. but there should be something to change the channels by hardware!

is it possible to change the channels by making a small male to female cable ans wire it somehow that it will change the channels of the earphone?

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #428 of 2,003
Getting this thread back on track, the vsd1 is a nice headphone, bass is boomy and doesnt have as much sub bass as i would like. Can be quite sibilant on certain tracks. Comfort is very good, expected the cable to be of a slightly better quality. Just need to burn these in more now.

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #429 of 2,003
Getting this thread back on track, the vsd1 is a nice headphone, bass is boomy and doesnt have as much sub bass as i would like. Can be quite sibilant on certain tracks. Comfort is very good, expected the cable to be of a slightly better quality. Just need to burn these in more now.

Wow sibilant?

That's a first in this whole thread lol

Jun 28, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #432 of 2,003

Quote:

Received mine today. I detect some sibilance, but no more than the GR07 or GR06... perhaps even less. I don't find the bass particularly boomy, and am impressed by sub bass capability. They are warmer than I expected, but very well balanced across the frequency spectrum. 

One thing that I'm immediately certain of, is that these destroy anything else I've heard at the pricepoint, barring the MH1C, which is just different. They are a very capable phone with a very likable signature. 

More impressions to follow, but for now I'm very impressed.

Jun 28, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #433 of 2,003
^ Yup!

Jun 28, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #434 of 2,003
Jun 28, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #435 of 2,003
Quote:

Received mine today. I detect some sibilance, but no more than the GR07 or GR06... perhaps even less. I don't find the bass particularly boomy, and am impressed by sub bass capability. They are warmer than I expected, but very well balanced across the frequency spectrum. 

One thing that I'm immediately certain of, is that these destroy anything else I've heard at the pricepoint, barring the MH1C, which is just different. They are a very capable phone with a very likable signature. 

More impressions to follow, but for now I'm very impressed.

Well, the bass can get a tad boomy at times but nothing like the mh1c. As far as sibilance it's less than the gr07 coz the VSD1's treble is smoother and is not hot in the lower treble as its big brother. And as I said before I like it more than the mh1c - the bass is less boomy and a touch more controlled, the mids are more neutral and the the highs are more pronounced as the mh1c's treble is a bit too smooth for my liking and sounds dull on some occasions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back