VSONIC V7007 (former "GR08") - Info & expectations thread
May 5, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #167 of 924
Quote:
I think just about everyone on Head-Fi has a deep-seated knee-jerk reaction to anything that remotely reminds them of Beats. I really think it's the red cable that throws off everyone. Here, I changed the colour of the cable to black. What do people think now?

Edit: Hmmm. Ok. May that shiny concentric ring thing in the middle should go to. It's overused and ends up looking cheap. It can look good, it's just very very hard to do, especially with everyone else doing it. Maybe I'll play around with that in photoshop some more. 

For me, they actually look a lot better with the cables in black! But even if they do just come out with red cables, as long as they sound good (as expected), that's not the thing that will stop me from buying them... 
rolleyes.gif

May 5, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #171 of 924
After reading Shotgunshane's great review of the UM Merlin, with dual BA's and Dynamic driver, I started wondering if Vsonic is going after the great Merlin, same hybrid design.    If that's true, and even if not, with the competitiveness of the GR07 with other high end Universals and some Customs, I'll bet the GR08 might sound very close to either the UM or similarly priced custom at less than half the price.    I find the flat cable and color very amusing, how they can make an incredible IEM but can't get the cable right, I had the old and now the new GR07 and the cable is still very springy, doesn't want to stay on my left ear, LOL!  

May 5, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #172 of 924
Quote:
After reading Shotgunshane's great review of the UM Merlin, with dual BA's and Dynamic driver, I started wondering if Vsonic is going after the great Merlin, same hybrid design.    If that's true, and even if not, with the competitiveness of the GR07 with other high end Universals and some Customs, I'll bet the GR08 might sound very close to either the UM or similarly priced custom at less than half the price.    I find the flat cable and color very amusing, how they can make an incredible IEM but can't get the cable right, I had the old and now the new GR07 and the cable is still very springy, doesn't want to stay on my left ear, LOL!  

You would thought that, but it's more likely the AKG K3003 they're targeting. Same BA/DD UIEM concept.

May 5, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #174 of 924
If this sounds exactly how I think it will sound with the detail of armature and the punch and bass texture of a dynamic, I don't care how it looks. I know many people here will use some DT770s or SRH-840s as portables, looking like complete fools, yet many are deterred by a red cable and shiny housing?

May 5, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #175 of 924
Quote:
Quote:

You would thought that, but it's more likely the AKG K3003 they're targeting. Same BA/DD UIEM concept.

Listening and reviews will tell!

No, I'm referring to your statement that it's targeting the UM Merlin, but I'm just telling you that there is a universal IEM BA/DD hybrid. VSonic won't possibly aim that high as to go toe to toe with a custom. And of course reviews will tell. What do you think people subscribe to this thread for?

May 5, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #176 of 924
Quote:
If this sounds exactly how I think it will sound with the detail of armature and the punch and bass texture of a dynamic, I don't care how it looks. I know many people here will use some DT770s or SRH-840s as portables, looking like complete fools, yet many are deterred by a red cable and shiny housing?

Knee jerk reaction and fear of being dumped together with Beats sheeple. You know, because it got a red cable. I personally am quite elated to see a not-black product in consumer tech products. We've got enough black products from companies.

May 5, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #177 of 924
You know, the more I look at it the red cable suits the current design better than the black. It's a flashy design. They're hoping to get the attention of non-audiophiles by putting shiny bright things on it. They know most audiophiles with grudgingly buy it despite its red cable because it's the sound they care about. If that's the design they're working with and they already have the tooling made for it I doubt there will be any major changes to the design. For me the bigger concern is the ergonomics of a flat, non-removable cable. If I spend that much on an IEM, I'd like to have security in knowing I don't have to replace the whole IEM if the cable fails. It would also allow for a greater choice of cabling. I don't have any experience with flat cables, so if anyone with experience could enlighten me on how they work out in practice that might put my mind at ease (or not). 

May 5, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #178 of 924
Quote:
You know, the more I look at it the red cable suits the current design better than the black. It's a flashy design. They're hoping to get the attention of non-audiophiles by putting shiny bright things on it. They know most audiophiles with grudgingly buy it despite its red cable because it's the sound they care about. If that's the design they're working with and they already have the tooling made for it I doubt there will be any major changes to the design. For me the bigger concern is the ergonomics of a flat, non-removable cable. If I spend that much on an IEM, I'd like to have security in knowing I don't have to replace the whole IEM if the cable fails. It would also allow for a greater choice of cabling. I don't have any experience with flat cables, so if anyone with experience could enlighten me on how they work out in practice that might put my mind at ease (or not). 

Flat cabling is worse than round cabling because on flat cables the pressure is exerted solely on certain external parts of the cable (throughout the whole length) while circular cables have the pressure evenly distributed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back