VSONIC V7007 (former "GR08") - Info & expectations thread
Sep 5, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #316 of 924
Quote:
yeaaa...cant quite imagine anyone saying that the bass may be better on the GR07. Im a fan of the GR07 for sure but what exactly is it about the bass that makes you always go back to it? 

Is that question for me? 
smile.gif

I can answer it anyway... I played drums for some years, so I know exactly how drums should sound and how that sound should "feel" in reality. And that's what I love about the GR07, the way they faithfully portray drum sound, and their bass just sounds extremely real and organic! That's about it... 
wink.gif

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #317 of 924
Quote:

Is that question for me? 
smile.gif

I can answer it anyway... I played drums for some years, so I know exactly how drums should sound and how that sound should "feel" in reality. And that's what I love about the GR07, the way they faithfully portray drum sound, and their bass just sounds extremely real and organic! That's about it... 
wink.gif

+1

Additionally, the GR07 makes the upright bass sound fantastic...when you listen to a good jazz recording it sounds real and organic (perfectly said).   The very last vibration can be heard\felt after a string is plucked.  Oh yeah, and the drums are amazing. 

Like drez mentioned, it's just a dynamic vs BA thing.

Putente, 

I have the MKII.  The difference in bass...hmm.  I auditioned the headphones in a noisy Starbuck, keep that in mind.  The 3.Ai has more of a mid-bass punch and it does not extend as far as the GR07 into the mid-bass region.  It is a very clean and articulate mid-bass, not boomy or bloated at all.

I don't want to tell you more than this because I spent most of my time with the 4.Ai.  When I first heard the 4.Ai I had to pause and think about what I was hearing - I could just not believe they were that good.   After listening to those for a while I decided to try the 3.Ai.   The first thing that went through my mind was, 'these are really good, but not as good as the 4.Ai...I want to hear the 4.Ai again'. 

There is nothing wrong with the bass of the 3.Ai or the 4.Ai.   Both have excellent bass, but it just does not go as deep as the GR07. 

If you are not a basshead and you can find another $100, I would go for the 4.Ai instead.

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #318 of 924
Quote:

now you say the bass isn't as good as the GR07 (which I simply love), and that's the first time I read someone saying that... 

It's not that the bass is not as good...it's just different.   I prefer the bass of the GR07.

I'm still debating whether I should buy the 4.Ai right now.  If I did not know the GR08 was only some weeks away from being released I would probably have the 4.Ai in my possession.  I also want to at least hear the new UE900 before I buy anything...and then there are some really good headphones out there (EX1000 and IE80) worthy of consideration.   Only $400 to spend and so much crap I can buy.

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #319 of 924
Thanks for your impressions and thoughts, elvergun!

I'm almost sure I'll buy the GR08 in the future, unless they are extremelly expensive and/or with a sub-par sound quality (to the present day, VSONIC has shown none of those flaws with their products)! But I was considering to purchase a BA IEM in the meantime, and the Heir 3.Ai seemed to be the right thing for me as they were being described as fun and musical, with great bass. But now they start to seem more of a basshead headphone, with a V-shapped sound signature, and I'm no basshead! I like to hear music how it really sounds, but also, "feel" the bass when it's called upon. So, maybe I should start considering the 4.Ai instead, and definitely wait for more reviews and comparisons on both Heir Audio universals...

P.S.: I have a JDSLabs c421 amp plugged to an iPod Classic 160GB which I use with my IEMs. The amp has a little "BASS" switch that works wonders with my RE-262, that are a bit bass light, but their bass gets completely transformed to the better when I use them with that bass switch on! On the other hand, I can't use it with the GR07, as they become too bassy for me. Maybe this small switch can work a similar miracle with the bass of the 4.Ai...

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #320 of 924
Quote:
.But now they start to seem more of a basshead headphone, with a V-shapped sound signature, and I'm no basshead!

The 3.Ai is not a basshead headphone.  I just think that if a true basshead was given a choice between the two models, he or she would take the 3.Ai because it does have a little more bass.

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #321 of 924
Any more news on GR08? Surely we must be getting close. I'm beginning to itch a little.

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #322 of 924
Quote:
Any more news on GR08? Surely we must be getting close. I'm beginning to itch a little.

Apart from October getting closer (and it still has 31 days more), unfortunately there's nothing new about the GR08 (al least, that I know of). The winter is coming... And the wait continues! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back