Vsonic GR07, Rockit R50, Yamaha EPH-100 or Shure Se215
Sep 6, 2012 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DUBS73P

New Head-Fier
So Ive decided to just go with IEMs now and worry about Cans later, and I think I have narrowed it down the the 4 I have mentioned, I'm looking for a set that won't fall out every 5 seconds hence why 3 of them have the cables that loop behind your ears.

I listen to 99% MP3s :O
Hip Hop, Rap, Pop, Hardstyle, Rock and Classical

I really hate muddy bass so if any of them sound really muddy please strike them from my list, I just want the best sound quality possible for ~£80

What would you buy and why?

Sep 6, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #2 of 12
No IEM will fall out of your ears if it has a good seal, unless it's extremely heavy (Monster Pro Copper come to mind).

Count out the Rockit R-50 immediately if you listen to a lot of Hip Hop/Rap/Hardstyle. The bass impact just isn't there. They are exceptionally clean and not muddy though.

Vsonic GR07 is warm and a great all-rounder from what I've read. It won't blow your mind with bass but it will be good at everything.

I would probably recommend the EPH-100 above everything else, though. Their only downfall is that the treble has low resolution. It has good presence, but cymbal hits are a bit like "tink tonk" instead of "tshh shhh". Hard to explain until you hear them. Other than that, though, they're amazing. Great, tight bass with a lot of presence; and the bass still doesn't overwhelm the mids or highs, perfect for Rock and Classical as well.

And FWIW, from things I've read, the SE215 is outclassed by all three other IEMs you've mentioned in just about all regards.

Cheers.

Sep 6, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #3 of 12
I'm more of a subwoofer kind of guy so I don't think there is any decent IEM that is goin to hit hard as a Sub, so for these headphones is be happy with just the best quality, balanced or a bit warm doesn't matter just not all muffled like what I'm used to at the moment would be perfect :D

Thanks again for your helpful post :)

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #4 of 12
If you're traveling with the IEM into noisy environments (subway; urban city walking), the SE-215 will deliver its full load of bass due to its isolation. Even if GR07 can dig deeper, the consequences of its less than satisfying seal will cause its bottom to evaporate in those conditions. Also, if your ear canals are on the smaller side, the Yamahas will cause discomfort similar to what I experienced. They're one of the largest bore sizes. The tips that come with them are not sold separately.

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #5 of 12
The GR07 (highly recommended) are very good sounding IEMs with crisp clear mids, highs, tight punchy bass and fairly wide soundstage. If need subwoofer type experience then JVC FX3X are really good budget IEMs with crisp clear soundquality.

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #6 of 12
Keep in mind you can wear the yams over ears style with no problems at all which is what I do in the bus. They will stay in your ear / isolate very well.

Price aside and if a shallow fit is fine for you, the gr07 is probably the best sounding iem at least to my ears.

Have not heard shures or rockit

Sep 6, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #8 of 12
oops posted my opinion in your other thread
i believe there are iems with decent bass
theres been alot of talk about the jvc nanotube ones- fx40, fxd70, fxd80
and theres an extra bass sony iem people have been raving about
check out the discovery thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-the-sony-mdr-xb90ex-danny-bs-take-pg-182-jvcs-fx40-pg-83-fx101-pg-96

Sorry about the other thread, my Safari browser crashed on my phone and I couldn't see it when I checked so wrote it out again :wink:

The GR07 also have a ridiculous amount of tips included which should help me out as tips are usually a nightmare for me, I think I will invest in a cheapo set of JVCs too for bass head moments :wink:

Still pretty undecided overall, the Shure have the fit that I want but sound the worst, the GR07 sounds just as good as the Rockits and come with everything I'd need but come in over budget, the Yamaha have great reviews but still wary of the fitting and tips, the Rockits look great but ship from China :frowning2:

What now lol

Sep 6, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #9 of 12
I have heard owned all except the R-50. Both the EPH-100 and SE215 are very good, but the GR07 is better by a good margin. However, it may not be your cup of tea. I'd recommend the EPH-100 as a nice second option. It should tick all the boxes. I will say that there have been reports of it failing recently, so that's something to look out for.

Sep 6, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #10 of 12
I really want the GR07 but they just look so awkward to put in and look like they won't give a decent seal :/ if they were only £70 I wouldn't mind but 120 is a lot of dollar to drop for a newbie.

Are these 4 the best out of this price range then?

Sep 6, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #11 of 12
For the types of music you listen to I'd say that the EPH-100, GR07 and R-50 are pretty much the 3 best in your price range.  

The R-50 would be the best for classical and rock imo while the EPH-100 and GR07 would work for the hip hop, pop and hardstyle.  I think the EPH-100 would be the best all around for you over the GR07 and R-50 because the GR07 has really no depth to them at all and the R-50 probably wont have enough bass impact and depth for you.  The Yamaha's have just as much detail as the GR07 though they might lack just a bit of the micro detail.  

I'd say buy them from somewhere with a good return policy so if you don't like which ever one you get you can return them for a different pair, you might have to pay for the "restocking fee" but that shouldn't be to much.

Sep 18, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #12 of 12
I think you may want to consider the Ulitame Ears TF10. Here in the states they are currently $168 which I think would fall into your budget. Not sure how shipping works to the UK or if they are on the UK Amazon site.

They would fulfill your checklist though.
Clean bass for hip-hop? Yes
Good seal/isolation? With the right tip, yes.
Decent midrange/ treble extension? Yes.

Their treble may not be on level of an Ety or DBA02 but it is still very good and the transition from mid to highs is relatively smooth. I haven't heard everything out there, but I believe it it a great all around iem and would work well in your situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back