Vsonic Gr07 mk2 vs. Eph-100
Sep 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 16
Both sound warm and rich with great bass response and GR-07 are more detailed.

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 16
Owning both IEM's and dac/amp I suggest GR07 MK2 for your Fiio E10 over the Yamaha's.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #5 of 16
Not sure how I missed this thread last week.  But, I too, have been contemplating these two IEMs (among a few others).  What I would be interested in hearing about from those who have directly compared these phones are comments about their ergonomics, bone conductance, and durability. 

Are they equally comfortable to wear?  I would like something small that can be slept on (so doesn't stick too far out from the ear).  Most of my listening will be during long walks back and forth to work.  My current IEMs (old E2C's) transmit a lot of noise through my head when walking on sidewalks or pavement.  Also, I can forget trying to eat or chew gum while wearing them.  And what are the records of these two models concerning durability of the cords, connections, and jacks?

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #6 of 16
If i were you I would take the eph-100 (i owned both at the same time and sold the gr07).  You'll get more responses for the gr07 just from the sheer number of owners.  Both are good i just think the eph sound is so unique and addictive.

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #7 of 16
I owned both and the EPH-100 didn't come close in terms of refinement and naturalness. So to the OP, what music are you listening to?

Quote:

Are they equally comfortable to wear?  I would like something small that can be slept on (so doesn't stick too far out from the ear).  Most of my listening will be during long walks back and forth to work.  My current IEMs (old E2C's) transmit a lot of noise through my head when walking on sidewalks or pavement.  Also, I can forget trying to eat or chew gum while wearing them.  And what are the records of these two models concerning durability of the cords, connections, and jacks?

The EPH-100 deep insertion tri-flange tips were not very comfortable for long listening sessions, especially for smaller ear canals. Both are not very good to be slept on. GR07 is too bulky, and pushing the EPH-100 tri-flange tips against my ears were a bit painful. Both have decent microphonics, should be comparable to your e2c, though it;s been years since I last owned the e2c.

EPH-100 looks durable, but its very mild driver flex was not exactly confidence inspiring. GR07 is generally very durable and has a better cable, with the only concern probably strain relief gluing coming off, but you can glue it back.

Sep 29, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #8 of 16
Not sure how I missed this thread last week.  But, I too, have been contemplating these two IEMs (among a few others).  What I would be interested in hearing about from those who have directly compared these phones are comments about their ergonomics, bone conductance, and durability. 

I'll give a different opinion to glac1er so take which ever as salt grains.

While I find Yamaha more comfortable to wear I couldn't sleep on my side with them reason being they stick out to far. Comfort wise though for me I just pop them in ignoring all instructions of the deep insertion and they worked like a neat fitting glove. GR07 however....can be used laying on your side because they're flat, trust me I have done this on more than several occasions. The majority of my listening station is in bed, so while they do press against your ear a little they're the pick over EPH for such an application.

The noise you're talking about is microphonics which Yamaha has a decent amount of and GR07 doesn't because.....they're worn over the ear which cancels the sound before transmitting through your head....so to speak. You will still have crunching noises while eating with both. Sound wise GR07 paired with the right player is number one for 'my preference' this isn't to say EPH is a slouch, actually far from it. When they work correctly are quite enjoyable though my hands reach for GR07 everytime. Natural and revealing are key words for GR07.

Sep 29, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
EPH-100 looks durable, but its very mild driver flex was not exactly confidence inspiring. GR07 is generally very durable and has a better cable, with the only concern probably strain relief gluing coming off, but you can glue it back.

First time I hear that the eph-100 have some "mild driver flex", and having them I don't know how this could be experienced.

To op:
For me the eph-100 = opposite of analytical sound, very airy, and convenient design (solid , small, metallic).
The cable looks enough solid to me, there's no point in wanting something thicker.
I've posted a review in  head gear section.

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #10 of 16
Check the thread, there was one complain in addition to mine. In my case, it is different from the typical crinkle sound, more like a subtle suction kind of sound. Still I would prefer if the sound is just not there.

As for the EPH, I always wear it over the ear with the slider, I think the microphonics is decent that way. One thing I found is that the GR07 (mk1) caught a lot of wind noise when used for runnning or by just being out in windy weather, I have yet to check this with the EPH-100. I also wear the GR07 on a rather shallow insertion and somehow it sticks out a bit.

Sep 29, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #11 of 16
Hey thanks, everyone for the input.  I did not intend to hijack this thread; I am not the OP, but it looks like most have been directing answers to my questions.  

@stoozzer123 I am intrigued by the reported smooth treble and rich mids. Since most of my phones are sennheiser, I thought it would be a nice break to try the yamaha sound.  It seems like a little more fun factor.  I must admit pause due to the reports of potential problems in the Yamaha EPH-100 thread. But I think that that is a pretty infrequent thing and would not likely be put off from purchasing it.  I have also been thinking about something a little higher end, e.g., ck10's or SM3's. But not sure I want to go as high as $400,  Though, I would be okay with ~$250.

The GR07's sound like they will be more analytical than the eph100's, which I am also amenable to.  As long as the signature has decent bass and is non-fatiguing, I think I could adjust to it.  @glac1er, lately my music tastes include a lot of jazz (solo piano to full band) and female vocals (jazz to pop).  I also listen to a fair amount of classic rock, bluegrass, and 70's funk.  So, a good all-arounder would probably be appropriate.  Ideally, I would like a sound that is solid but not boomy in the bottom, sweet in the middle, and a little sparkle but definitely not hot up top.  I am not looking for anything V-shaped.  As for soundstage, they are IEMs so my expectations are not too high, but some localization would be nice.

@H2OFidelity, it sounds like neither of these would be great for bed listening.  Though I do have IEM's in my ears most nights when I retire, often I am listening at very low, non-critical volumes, and often I am listening to speech/podcasts.  So, maybe I should not worry too much about sleeping on my ears as a criterion.  I do have CX300-II's that are okay for sleep. As far as microphonics, I am not talking about cable microphonics.  I usually wear my IEMs over ear, so that is not too much of an issue.  The problem I have with my E2C's is that when I walk with purpose on pavement, a notable thud through my body obscures the music.  It is less noticeable with other IEM's that I have used.  And, I do not have a particularly heavy step. Despite this introduced sound, it sounds like you prefer the GR07.  

Thanks, again for all the replies!  @extragbigmehdi I did see  your review.  It was informative and appreciated.  I have been pouring over tons of reviews and feel that I will be finally making a decision soon.

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #12 of 16
For what it's worth, I owned both at the same time, and ended up getting rid of the EPH. It sounds good (very good, actually), but at the end of the day it just isn't at the level of the GR07.

The other thing about the EPH-100 that I'm astounded new owners don't mention more is the treble. It's the first thing that struck me when I first got them. I listen to a lot of natural instruments, including piano, drums, and cymbals. The EPH-100's timbre just sounded off with them. It's such a pity too, as they have a really nice soundstage and an overall smooth sound.

I also find the GR07 far more comfortable for the simple fact that it doesn't have a vacuum seal like the EPH. The EPH just suctions your eardrum, while you just pop in the GR07 and forget about it.

Sep 30, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #13 of 16
Personally, I would recommend the gr07 for most genres. I own both right now and I don't plan to get rid of either.
Why? Because the gr07s are great all-rounders, but I only like listening to the EPH-100s for bassy music when I am feeling like a bit of a bass head.
They do sound pretty good with a bit EQ in the form of treble boost, but again I prefer the GR07s.

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #14 of 16
Not sure if the OP has made a decision or not, but I just got a pair of EPH-100s.

They honestly don't sound to shabby out of the box 
tongue_smile.gif
; the reviews sum it up pretty well. Fun, clear instrument separation, quick decay in the treble, plenty of rich bass. Microphonics are all but eliminated if you wear them over the ear which can easily be done. Personally, I haven't had a problem with the tips or suction being uncomfortable. Haven't had a chance to to try the GR07s though, so sorry, can't offer up a comparison, but these are definitely not disappointing.

Can't wait to see how they sound after burn in. 

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #15 of 16
I own both, and prefer the EPH-100s out of a undriven source (ie. my MBA headphone out, my Galaxy Nexus) but using something like my DragonFly or my old O2/ODAC combo, the GR07 all the way.  To my ears they respond quite well to a good source/amp, whereas the EPH-100s are a pretty forgiving listen.  

That said, I'd also consider the JVC 80s.  They're only around $100 and I put them as perhaps slightly ahead of the EPH-100s (better treble, but a more scooped mid), again very forgiving of whatever is driving them.  

When driven well, I consider the GR07 (I have the MKIIs) as a class above all.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back