VSONIC GR07 Classic Color 2014 Edition: Unboxing and first impressions
Feb 21, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #271 of 310
 I will say that's psychoacoustic, dynamics should not be affected, it's more like expectation bias. All those factors you mention are because of seal, can't necessarily claim seals are equal when they infact may not be, comply s series for example always has an imperfect seal compared to silicone tips which makes iems less bassy, even though you seal the tip to the best of you abilities. The driver is already enclosed into a narrow bore, making that wider isn't always a good thing, that's why the GR07 gets more sibilant with them. There's a reason why all the tips that come with these are small bore for the most part. 

Feb 21, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #272 of 310
Well, I certainly wouldn't disregard that possibility. Changes purely to the FR can have huge changes to lots of perceived factors.

Spitballing though: A longer, narrower bore tip, it should increase the acoustic impedance between the eardrum and IEM though, right? When the eardrum vibrates, it is moving air through the bore of the tip, and just like breathing through a straw, the wider the straw, the less resistance to larger movements/bigger dynamics. Obviously you still have the bore width of the IEM itself as a constant, but a larger bore and/or shorter tip on the IEM will also mean the air volume stuck between the IEM and eardrum is larger, thus allowing the eardrum less restriction to larger movement/bigger dynamic range.
Which would be a problem with some IEMs where maximum coupling between driver and eardrum is desired to help stabilize the driver and provide more control over it, something the GR07 does not need in my experience. It's double-ported to begin with so it's already ventilated and somewhat detached from the vacuum in the inner ear.

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #273 of 310
no way does it affect dynamic range I'll tell you that and the bass air movement is constant regardless of bore...bigger bore wont mean more air, the only thing bigger bore does I fact do is increase treble extension but will also accentuate the resonance the GR07 has making it more sibilant.

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #274 of 310
Can try other tips, maybe even bi-flanges?

Sometimes a bad seal will result in subpar bass lol

I have heard the GR07 MKII and Classic multiple times and I feel that they have plentiful bass like the BA200

Mar 4, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #275 of 310
I was wondering just how bad the sibilance is with these? It seems like every time I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair I read a negative post about it's sibilance. I have the Klipsch S4 that I listen to once in awhile and those have sibilance too. Are the gr07's any worse?

Thanks for any help!

Mar 4, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #276 of 310
I was wondering just how bad the sibilance is with these? It seems like every time I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair I read a negative post about it's sibilance. I have the Klipsch S4 that I listen to once in awhile and those have sibilance too. Are the gr07's any worse?

Thanks for any help!

They aren't nearly as bad as the S4 in that respect. I never found them too grating myself, but they are hot in the upper registers. 

Mar 4, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #277 of 310

Thanks for any help!

Not even close. Specially the classic edition is said to have the least amount of sibilance of all the GR07 iterations. S4 can stab at your ear drums with sibilance while with the GR07 you can say the sibilance is there but it is not nearly as offensive.  

Mar 4, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #278 of 310
Oh man!... 363.5 days ago, I wrote about receiving my VSONIC GR07 classic.. and until now I´ve been very happy with them... so even yesterday they were amazing!.. but today when I putted them on, the left side was almost dead.. (maybe 3-5% of volume still there compared to the right side, so almost nothing!)... 

grrr...  very close to the 1 year mark.. I´ve opened a ticket at LendMeUrEars, in hope of getting them fixed/replaced as they must still be in warranty!  Will see what happens, and post it here :)

Anyone with the same happening to them, with VSONIC or any other earphones?.. just one side?..  any experience with LMUE warranty?

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #279 of 310

Thanks for any help!

The sibilance annoyed me at first. I don't know if it was burn-in or my brain adjusting to the new earphones (likely the latter), but I don't notice it anymore unless I'm looking for it.

If the sibilance gets on your nerves, use your equalizer to shave off a few decibels at 6000 Hz. More importantly, don't immediately return the GR07 after five minutes of unpleasant listening. Give them some time.

I've never listened to the Klipsch S4, so I can't compare the two.

Mar 6, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #281 of 310
As far as I remember the Klipsch S4 was slightly harsher in the treble to my ears, the treble peak I remember on them was narrower and more piercing. The GR07 has better, more natural crisp texture and while it occasionally shoves it in your face, I find it unobtrusive a lot of the time. For what it's worth.

Mar 9, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #282 of 310
The S4 is more bloated in bass, has a harsher upper end (in comparison to the gr07 this is, I will admit, difficult to do), and recessed mids (for the v shaped signature, this can be somewhat forgiven). The detail in the 07 will astonish you even after you listen to a good earbud like the s4. Going from the s4 to the 07be was honestly one of the best choices I have ever made over the past few years; you will not regret it. 

Apr 17, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #283 of 310
Bought these couple days ago based on the rave reviews. On first listen using stock tips, I immediately noticed the sibilance all the owners' mentioned. It's not ear piercing, but it's noticeable. So I changed the tips to triple flange tips I got from amazon and bam, sibilance reduced while still have high end sparkle. Even though the triple flange has a slightly wider bore, the longer length helped reduce sibilance. Now it's pretty much perfect. Very impressed with instrument separation and wide soundstage. I've auditioned Hifiman's RE400 and RE600, and both are inferior sound quality wise. Not to mention the tiny barrels of the RE's actually cause pain cause the wide part pushes against my ears. The GR07's are very comfortable to wear for long listening sessions.

tips that I got:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Small-Earphones-replacement-connector/dp/B00GCS4X0C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1429300883&sr=8-4&keywords=triple+flange+tips+small

These tips are exactly the right size for my ears and provide a perfect seal. I push them all the way up past the first small ridge and over the 2nd larger ridge that sit near the base of the barrel. For reference, the left channel (top) has the tip sit right before the 2nd ridge, and the right channel (bottom) has the tip pushed all the way up the barrel.

I have to emphasize that a proper seal is absolutely crucial to get the best sound out of IEMs. I'm lucky that I found these tips that fit my ears perfectly.

I'm really glad that I got the GR07s. They are definitely worth more than the $99 I paid for them, provided you have a good seal.

Apr 18, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #284 of 310
  Bought these couple days ago based on the rave reviews. On first listen using stock tips, I immediately noticed the sibilance all the owners' mentioned. It's not ear piercing, but it's noticeable. So I changed the tips to triple flange tips I got from amazon and bam, sibilance reduced while still have high end sparkle. Even though the triple flange has a slightly wider bore, the longer length helped reduce sibilance. Now it's pretty much perfect. Very impressed with instrument separation and wide soundstage. I've auditioned Hifiman's RE400 and RE600, and both are inferior sound quality wise. Not to mention the tiny barrels of the RE's actually cause pain cause the wide part pushes against my ears. The GR07's are very comfortable to wear for long listening sessions.

tips that I got:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Small-Earphones-replacement-connector/dp/B00GCS4X0C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1429300883&sr=8-4&keywords=triple+flange+tips+small

These tips are exactly the right size for my ears and provide a perfect seal. I push them all the way up past the first small ridge and over the 2nd larger ridge that sit near the base of the barrel. For reference, the left channel (top) has the tip sit right before the 2nd ridge, and the right channel (bottom) has the tip pushed all the way up the barrel.

I have to emphasize that a proper seal is absolutely crucial to get the best sound out of IEMs. I'm lucky that I found these tips that fit my ears perfectly.

I'm really glad that I got the GR07s. They are definitely worth more than the $99 I paid for them, provided you have a good seal.

Damn those are some deep inserting GR07's indeed! I was one of the few unique ones who never found the GR07 Classic sibilant. It was surprisingly smooth to me!

I agree with you, these are some of the best valued IEMs ever and at $99 the sound quality can't get any better. Sound wise there is very little to complain about. The worrying part is their build quality - numerous reports of break down after a year or so of use. Be sure to not put them up against too much abuse and it should be fine.

May 10, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #285 of 310
Hey guys, Ive been using the Vsd3s for some time now and I'm wondering what would be a good upgrade in the ~$100 region. I'm thinking of getting the Gr07 classic edition but the vsd5 also came out recently. Does anyone have any thoughts on the vsd3s and gr07?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back